Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Reading Rainbow Reaches Its Final Chapter

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

*sniffs*

While it is obviously important that kids know HOW to read before WHY, I find myself, as a young adult, looking at kids and teenagers and believing that no one ever told them WHY to read, thus they didn't put any importance learning HOW to do so.

With my experience teaching ESL students (or really, English as a Third and Sometimes Fourth Language), one of the best motivators for them was to pick up a book from the classroom bookshelf, read it to them, allow them to understand it, and then point out other books that I thought they were capable of reading. Suddenly, English went from being a subject taught in school to something that had immediate results. As they were all between the ages of 18 to 25ish, this was very important; I know myself how much it sucks to start learning a language and not having anything to read in that language.

So yes, sad day.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

No room for How and Why I guess, it is a sad day.

But if there are that many illiterate kids then How should be a priority.

message 3: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Oh, this breaks my heart. I loved that show.

Angabel, I think that is an excellent point. Too often we end up teaching people by mere repetition and pounding information into their brains until they remember. This is the main mode of learning in our educational systems but research has shown that the majority of people would benefit from other modes of learning either with or instead of "by rote".

I found that if I discovered an interest of the WHY behind the learning my retention and understanding of the learning skyrocketed. RR did exactly that and more, and I know that many of the elementary schools here in Salem were influenced by the show as well. My little brother loved their own RR Time at his school's library each week. He always felt that it contributed directly to his learning to read so quickly.

I'm really sorry to see this go but I hope its influence has been far-reaching and will continue.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
This is sad, the end of an era. But even as a kid I knew that show was insufferably dorky.