Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Hello, Just found the group!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Hello, I'm Michelle (I go by Mic or Elle for short, depending on my mood :P) Professionally, I'm a public librarian with an emphasis on YA. It makes it easy to read YA lit since I can say it's part of my job! I love fantasy but I'm trying very hard to branch out to other genres. I'm hoping to find some really great ideas for my teen patrons and of course just discuss interesting books with others. My other great love is graphic novels/manga/anime. Thanks for reading!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) We love librarians, Mic, thanks for joining us! Your job sounds perfect!

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fionam) | 12 comments Mic,

Welcome,

I agree with Laura - what a perfect job - can I have it!!!! LOL

Please recommend any obscure YA books that you have come across....

I need more YA authors

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Fiona wrote: "Mic,

Welcome,

I agree with Laura - what a perfect job - can I have it!!!! LOL

Please recommend any obscure YA books that you have come across....

I need more YA authors "

It's not always wonderful...particularly with these tough financial times. And there are so many times when I feel my collection is inadequate, we never seem to have what the teens are asking for. And don't even get me started on the adults! (sigh)

But I still love it! LOL :-)

Obscure YA books: For a while now I've had teens asking for the Bluford High series (various authors). If you haven't heard of it, maybe that's something to look into. Apparently it's a very good series for reluctant readers and offers something for everybody.

message 5: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments Elle, you have an awesome job. And welcome to the group!

message 6: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 15 comments Hello I am Stuart I am fan of imaginative fiction. I realise more and more falls under the YA heading, so I have joined this group to discuss and discover such works.

message 7: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (malcolmwalker) Gidday everyone,

I’m an Australian young adult/adult cross-over author. Fiona, one of your group moderators, said it would be okay for me to join in with your discussions. I’m in the process of getting an author profile okayed by the Goodreads admin people. I read pretty eclectically as you’ll see from my shelves but also a lot of YA – sort of part of the job description. Not that I don’t enjoy it. Some of my favourite authors are Alan Garner, Ursula Le Guin, Dianna Wynne Jones, Philip Pullman, David Almond, Tim Bowler, D M Cornish, Sean Williams, Isobelle Carmody … better stop here I think. I’m looking forward to chatting with some of you.

All the best,

Malcolm.

message 8: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (malcolmwalker) I should have added that the Garner - Carmody list are YA authors.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca New and need to understand the categories and challenges please.

message 10: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (malcolmwalker) Hi Rebecca, just a novice/newcomer myself and still trying to work out this all fits together. You'll have to ask some of the older hands.

message 11: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Brilliant... another librarian! Welcome Michelle, and everyone else!