Book lovers discussion

Books > Obscure Authors

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Does anyone know of any obscure, not well known authors that are really good?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read

message 3: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I found an old book a while back called "The Bent Twig" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. I really enjoyed it. I bought some more of her books through amazon.com because I couldn't find them anywhere. She was publishing beginning in 1915.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jonathan wrote: "sorry to be vain , but how about me? "

Hello Jonathon. What have you written? Is it something I can pick up at my local bookstore?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love readong books from a guys perspective. I think they are often very funny and very honest. What book would you recommend of his for me to read first?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Is there a genre or time period you're interested in? So many good authors aren't very well known. It's hard to know what you might be interested in.

message 7: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love readong books from a guys p..."

Try "Turning Thirty"that was my first and it hooked me right in I have all of his books!Husband enjoys them too.Another excellent starter would be "My New Best Friend"
Hope you have as much fun as I did if you try them-although I have to say he is not obscure!!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love readong boo..."

Turning Thirty. Got it. I am ging to PBS right now to see if it's avail! Hope so....thanks for the tip! I looooove hearing about books I haven't read yet! Lately I have been hearing the same ones over and over again...

message 9: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Jessica wrote: "DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love ..."

Let me know what you think...Once I start one of his I can`t put it down!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to ..."

Those are the kind of books I am lokoing for! Awesome! Thank you!

message 11: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Anytime,glad to help.
Right I`m off to soak with a large glass of wine and a small book-can`t hold a big book in the bath!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Okay, I just ordered Turning THirty from PBS but they are out of Brand New Friend...so I will wait...thanks again! Enjoy your fantastic sounding night! Spoiled brat...

message 13: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Hey cool I'm still young enough to be called a brat!!!
I'm sooooo happy right now-night night.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jonathan wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "sorry to be vain , but how about me? "

Hello Jonathon. What have you written? Is it something I can pick up at my local bookstore?"
im a friad not. my book THE ..."

I will! Thank you for the info. :)

message 15: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love readong boo..."

Hi, I'm new to the group/website. And I would definitely second (or maybe third...?) the recommendation of Mike Gayle. I read Turning Thirty and My Legendary Girlfriend ages ago, and really enjoyed them. Had forgotten about him, might have to pick up something of his again soon!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Harriet wrote: "DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to read"

I love ..."

Thanks to DJ I am waiting for Turning Thirty, Dinner for Two and I just ordered My New Best Friend (I think is the title?) by Gayle. So, I am looking forward to reading them in November! Now, I reeeeally can't wait to get them! Damn my mail box! Sometimes I think it's broken....

message 17: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Jessica wrote: "Harriet wrote: "DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny and great fun to ..."

I`ve got 2 more to read as well so will let you know how they go....
I am delighted to say I have all of his apart from the Biographical one which I saw in WATERSTONES but I had reached my purchase limit,got to leave Husband something to buy for me!!!

message 18: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments PS Maybe we could use SMALL GROUP READING thread to discuss when you get them Jessica?
Then other people could jump in to...Harriet?

message 19: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments DJ wrote: "PS Maybe we could use SMALL GROUP READING thread to discuss when you get them Jessica?
Then other people could jump in to...Harriet?"

Sounds good to me :)

message 20: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Yay...shall we all meet there...middle of novemberish????
How about you Jessica??

message 21: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Middle of novemberish is fine. What ones are we reading in particular?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments DJ wrote: "PS Maybe we could use SMALL GROUP READING thread to discuss when you get them Jessica?
Then other people could jump in to...Harriet?"

I'm there with bells on! Seriously! BELLS!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Harriet wrote: "DJ wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I found Mike Gaylewho writes a kind of chic lit written form the guys view and I have found them very funny a..."

Okay, as I was complaining to you how I have yet to receive my Mike Gayle books my (lovely) mailman delivered not one, not two, but THREE books! Turning Thirty, Dinner for Two and Mr. Commitment! So I AM READY FOR NOVEMBER! DJ, what should I read first? I am still waiting for My New Best Friend (that's the title right???)

message 24: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments It depends do you want to read them in the order they were published and we can just go through them in order between"Heavier Tombes"?
And if I could just brag for one second...my copy of DINNER FOR TWO is signed!!
That way we would get the evolution of his style??
Or we can just do it for pure fun...
Complete list of MIKE GAYLE

WISH YOU WERE HERE-to read
BRAND NEW FRIEND
HIS"N"HERS
MY LEGENDARY GIRLFRIEND
MR COMMITMENT
TURNING THIRTY
DINNER FOR TWO
LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY-to read

Non-Fiction
THE TO-DO LIST-to get

Or just pick a title to suit your mood....The first one I ever read was TURNING THIRTY...

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Ohhhh...I don't know...hmmm. Well, are any of them sequels? Because if no then so long as I can attain all the books I don't already have I am good with going in order of publication...

I am STILL waiting on:
Wish you were here (the waitlist if forever long and I can't seem to find this at Barnes and Noble...not even online. Why?)
Brand New Friend
My Legendary Girlfriend
Life and Soul of the Party

I have all the rest...You brat! You have a signed copy? Is it personalized?

Here is my braggy moment...I have a signed copy of a first edition A Dirty Job by CHristopher Moore that is ACCIDENTALLY signed to some mysterious Jessica I've never met! Crazy non?

If we are starting Mike Gayle on November first I doubt I will get Wish you Were Here by then...I am still searching it out...what do you think DJ?

message 26: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Wish you were here is about the summer so maybe keep it for february/march when we all have the winter blues maybe?I'm quite happy in any order but if you're up for it chronological would be good..

message 27: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments I don't really mind where we start, I've already got Turning Thirty and My Legendary Girlfriend, but I'm sure I can easily get hold of the others. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to keep up with you through all of them as I have a tonne I have to read for my course. But I shall try my best :)
Wish You Were Here is his newest isn't it? Remember seeing it a while ago and thinking it looked really good.
So yeh, I'm fine with chronological. What is that then...?

message 28: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Wish you were hereis newest but I thought we could keep it for Summer...and you don`t needto keepupwith them all,you shouldsee our TBR`s!!!
ORDER TO FOLLOW:

MY LEGENDARY GIRLFRIEND
MR COMMITMENT
TURNING THIRTY
DINNER FOR TWO
HIS`N`HERS
BRAND NEW FRIEND
WISH YOU WERE HERE
LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY

So MY LEGENDARY GIRLFRIEND would be first...if thats ok with everyone??Feel free to message me so that,no one is hanging about for me skirting through things...

message 29: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments That's fine by me. My Legendary Girlfriend is one of the ones I already have so that saves me buying me anymore just yet. Are we reading one a month or something?

message 30: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Hi Harriet,will check with Jessica...would one a month suit you or would you rather do one every two months to give you time to get cheaper copies i.e secondhand....please do not take offence at this ? as none meant,you are a student and just thinking of your finances....

message 31: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments No offence taken :) Finances are pretty tight as a student! But one a month will be ok, as long as that's what everyone else wants to do.

message 32: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments I'll check with Jessica tomorrow and message you when I hear,ok?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments OKAY! I found ya! Is this where we are chatting? Ooooer...trying to find the right thread is like opening several identical looking doors down a long corridor! Oooer. So, as I understand it we are reading Mr. COmmitment first right? When shall we start? I am very excited to start! Thanks for joining us Harriet!

message 34: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments Hi Jessica,we are moving over to small group reading....

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments DJ wrote: "Hi Jessica,we are moving over to small group reading...."

DJ...you are killing me! ;) Guess what I got in the mail yesterday?!?!?!?

THE THREE DAY RULE! It's so on for December!

message 36: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Am very excited about the Mike Gayle-fest :D
I've also ordered The Three Day Rule (it looks REALLY good), if no one minds me joining in that as well?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Harriet wrote: "Am very excited about the Mike Gayle-fest :D
I've also ordered The Three Day Rule (it looks REALLY good), if no one minds me joining in that as well?"

I kind of assumed you were joining in. ;) Sorry to make you a foregone conclusion...lol I just received my copy yesterday! Soooo excited!

message 38: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Yeh, I did say to DJ a few days back, but just wanted to check! My copy isn't here yet... should arrive next week. But I've just ordered My Commitment, hopefully that won't take too long to get here. And I'm still waiting for The Historian. And I'm seriously considering joining in with The Great Gatsby as well. And I've got lots to read for uni. No sleep for me for the next few weeks :)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Harriet wrote: "Yeh, I did say to DJ a few days back, but just wanted to check! My copy isn't here yet... should arrive next week. But I've just ordered My Commitment, hopefully that won't take too long to get her..."

Sleep is over-rated. I loved The Historian and The Great Gatsby! Great reads!

message 40: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Yeh they're both books I've been wanting to read for ages... seems like a good excuse to read them now!

message 41: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
What is the name of the book we are reading for christmas? I need to order it. Join in with Great Gatsby Harriet! The more the merrier. I am finishing it off today then i'm ready to talk about it :)

message 42: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 659 comments THE THREE DAY RULE-JOSIE LLOYD and EMILYN REES!!!
Sorry not been about...
So looking forward to all these books...
Harriet I thought you were joining in?Never be frightened to join in the more the merrier!!

message 43: by Aya (new)

Aya Katz (AyaKatz) | 1 comments Jo wrote: "Does anyone know of any obscure, not well known authors that are really good? "

I've recently reassessed the significance of Mary Dolan, the author of "Hannibal of Carthage". I read the book as a child and enjoyed it, but until recently I had not returned to it, and now I think she's brilliant.

I don't know if they will let me put in a link, but I reviewed the book on Goodreads and on Amazon, plus I wrote a pub about it:
http://www.pubwages.com/55/who-was-ma...

message 44: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) I really enjoyed Jon Clinch's books "Finn" and "Kings of the Earth"; heard he has a new one coming out. And I recently finished "Castle Rackrent" by Maria Edgeworth, a contemporary of Jane Austen, and thought it was delightful, quite funny.