European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
European Royalty Nominations > Oct 15 - Nov 15: Nominating

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments In honor of Halloween, here's our theme: **BIZARRE ROYALS**

***ANY TIME PERIOD, ANY EUROPEAN COUNTRY, FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate ONE book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is BIZARRE ROYALS (any time period, any European country, fiction or non-fiction). There's a lot of flexibility and room for creativity here! If you think someone is a bizarre Royal, find a book about them and nominate it! What counts as "bizarre" is totally up to you - please feel free to tell us why!

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than ONE book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting list, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until August 31st, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (around end of September 4th). Discussion can start on OCTOBER 15th.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by Sara W (last edited Aug 29, 2009 07:46AM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Okay, I'll start:

A Treasury of Royal Scandals The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors

A Treasury of Royal Scandals The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar

by Michael Farquhar

This is a really easy topic because everyone is bizarre in some way (Henry VIII killed two wives - some might consider that a tad crazy!). The monarch's entire life doesn't have to be bizarre - just some form of it. :)

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie OK here is another idea. I think it fits. The Royal Physician's Visit: A Novel
by Per Olov Enquist. What do you think Sara? I have not read it, but want to read it.

message 4: by Frances (new)

Frances | 25 comments Duchess of Milan or The Borgia Bride A Novel would definitely qualify but I got both used so not sure how available they are. Italy was full of really bizarre royals though.

message 6: by Bettie (last edited Aug 30, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Bettie Susanna wrote: "Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric, by Veronica Buckley.

Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric by Veronica Buckley"

Of course it goes without saying that this is quite BIZARRE - not many can kill off Descartes, nominate Cromwell as King Ollie I, cross-dress and then cut loose to suck up to the Pope.
La-lah land for sure!

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Susanna wrote: "Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric, by Veronica Buckley.

Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric by Veronica Buckley"

I second this. I've been interested in finding out more about this monarch for some time.

message 8: by Sara W (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Chrissie wrote: "OK here is another idea. I think it fits. The Royal Physician's Visit: A Novel
by Per Olov Enquist. What do you think Sara? I have not read it, but want to read it.
"

I hadn't heard of this book, but I just looked it up at Amazon and it's perfect for this theme! It sounds really fascinating. Great choice!

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Frances wrote: "Duchess of Milan or The Borgia Bride A Novel would definitely qualify but I got both used so not sure how available they are. Italy was full of really bizarre royals th..."

Amazon's marketplace has a TON of cheap new and used copies of The Borgia Bride available, but not very many of the Duchess of Milan at all (neither are available new through Amazon itself at the moment), so I'll include The Borgia Bride in the voting poll since it's really easy to get.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sara, so many are interesting here. I read the blip on The Treasury of Royal Scandal and it sounds fun too! Chrtina Queen of Sweden , and that is interesting too! How to choose!

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Sounds like a fun category!
I'm rooting for Christina - she's been on my to-read shelf forever!

message 12: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating's closed! I'll get a voting poll up shortly!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.