Clamp discussion

Chobits > Summary

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hylian Princess , Hylian-Chan (new)

Hylian Princess  (hylianprincess) | 400 comments Mod
Chobits, Volume 1 by Clamp Chobits Volume 1

The story centers on the life of Hideki Motosuwa, a repeat student attempting to qualify for university by studying at Seki prep school in Tokyo. Besides a girlfriend, he dreams of having a persocom (パソコン?): an android used as a personal computer, which is expensive. On his way home one evening, he stumbles across a persocom in the form of a beautiful girl with long hair lying against a pile of trash bags, and he carries her home. Upon turning her on, she instantly regards Hideki with adoration. The only word the persocom seems capable of saying is "chi" (ちぃ, Chii?), thus he names her Chi. Hideki assumes that there must be something wrong with her, and so the following morning Hideki's neighbor Hiromu Shimbo tries to analyze her with his mobile persocom Plum, and after Plum crashes he concludes that she must be custom-made.

Shinbo introduces Hideki to Minoru Kokubunji, a twelve year old genius who specializes in the field of custom made persocoms. Minoru's persocoms, including Yuzuki, a fairly exceptional custom made persocom, are not able to analyze Chi either, and thus they conclude that she may be one of the Chobits, a legendary series of persocoms rumoured to have free will and emotions. Although this could be a possibility, Minoru is confident that it is only a rumour. Yuzuki also adds that she does not resemble any persocom model in any available database and so she must be custom made after all.

A major part of the plot involves Hideki attempting to teach Chi words, concepts, and appropriate behaviours, in between his crammed schedule of school and work. At the same time, Chi seems to be developing feelings for Hideki, at an emotional depth, which she is not supposed to possess, and Hideki struggles with his feelings for her. The need to figure out more about Chi and her mysterious functions and past becomes a stressing pull for the characters in the series.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits

message 2: by Hylian Princess , Hylian-Chan (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:12PM) (new)

For those who have read this series, if there is something that gives away part of the story, please tell me, as I have not read the book myself.

message 3: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

Starbubbles | 649 comments Mod
that's a pretty decent summary. it does summarizes pretty far into the series, but it doesn't reveal too much, so it's okay.

message 4: by Hylian Princess , Hylian-Chan (new)

okay! thank-you!

message 5: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

no problem.
have you found it in your area to read yet?

message 6: by Hylian Princess , Hylian-Chan (new)

I haven't looked yet. I'm in the middle of some other series right now. What I hate the most is when you start a series of manga and then the whole series hasn't even been published yet, so you have to wait. :(

message 7: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

yeah, that's true for the majority of the series i'm reading. i need to get back on the ball about knowing what series get released what month. that way i don't spend energy looking for volumes that aren't even out yet.

message 8: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

i have some like that too. borders will order them for you if it's still in print. but that's honestly the key, it still has to be in production, otherwise they can't get it for you.

you could go to a speciality store. i do that too. i have to make a wishlist for tomorrow. with all of the booksales going on, i have to go in prepared to buy! lol! what i really need is a magical bookshelf that doesn't take up space, but i can add books to. let's face it, between school and my little obessession, i have a ton of books.

message 9: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

yeah, it takes me a while to process them, then fix the layout so they fit, then see where my holes are. that doesn't even count reading them! i typically don't put them on my shelf until i have read them. i bought so many this weekend that it'll proabably take me till next year to get to them all. it slightly makes me sick. but now i'm on a new mission! must find sailor moon!

message 10: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

typically books. i normally don't buy anime. i get frusturated with the selection and how they have now divide complete series to make it to where they are no longer a deal to buy them that way. though, i did get kenshin the other day for 50 bucks. it was a total steal! normally it's 50 bucks for one season, and i got 95 episodes. yay!

message 11: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

after iy, i pretty much stopped watching things online. i'm just not patient or savy enough to go back to doing so.

message 12: by Starbubbles, event coordinator type person (new)

by that time you might be too far behind to even want to catch up. lol! that happend to me anyway. i'm like, 'oh well. i'll just move on to something new.'