Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Use of foul language on GoodReads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adna (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:27PM) (new)

Adna (violet-feelings) | 32 comments I am not sure what are the policies concerning foul language used here on GoodReads. I have noticed people leaving comments using foul language to express their opinions on the books they have read. And GoodReads doesn't seem to have a "report this" link or something like that.
I understand that people have the right of free speech and everything, but this is a community that carters to a worldwide audience of all ages (I think). Shouldn't there be a way to automatically block foul language and substitute it with symbols like for example: "****"?

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments 1. This is the sort of discussion which belongs in the Feedback group, not the Librarian group -- librarians deal with books, not users.

2. There is a "report this" link -- the "flag" link at the bottom of most things.

3. Neither "foul" language nor bad reviews are forbidden in any way on Goodreads.

4. You must be thirteen to have a Goodreads account. Children younger than thirteen should only be using Goodreads with accounts under the control and supervision of an adult.

message 3: by Adna (new)

Adna (violet-feelings) | 32 comments Cait wrote: "1. This is the sort of discussion which belongs in the Feedback group, not the Librarian group -- librarians deal with books, not users.

2. There is a "report this" link -- the "flag" link at the ..."

My main concern was foul language not bad reviews. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. Thank you for letting me know.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Well, you can't flag things for foul language, but I'm glad to provide information!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Cait wrote: "Well, you can't flag things for foul language, but I'm glad to provide information!"

Sure you can.

The flag will be cleared, and you'll probably get an email explaining that we don't delete things for being offensive, but you CAN flag them. (And plenty do.)

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Well, in the Twilight Lovers, there was a hater that was cussing a lot. The topic got deleted, but it was horrible. He used Edward as Sh**ward.

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 46 comments iluvcats, in groups, the group moderators can determine the amount of bad language that is allowed and moderate the group accordingly. That is different from bad language in book reviews that the original comment was asking about.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Oh, sorry! I'm a new librarian. ;)

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments ;-P at rivka!

And iluvcatz, within a group the group's moderators can set whatever rules they like (as long as those rules don't break GR rules: they can be more restrictive, but not less), and you could tell a moderator that someone was posting against those rules and ask them to intervene; there wouldn't be official GR intervention, but moderators can enforce rules within their groups.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Ah, ok, thanks!

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Cait wrote: ";-P at rivka!"

1) ;P back atcha
2) Someone out there would really think it was not possible to flag, and then get all excited when they managed it. This way, maybe there will be one less flag for me to clear. ;)

message 12: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments rivka wrote: "2) Someone out there would really think it was not possible to flag, and then get all excited when they managed it. This way, maybe there will be one less flag for me to clear. ;)

Funny image, but unfortunately I doubt it will keep them from flagging. ={
owell, can't do more than you have done already...