Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Hello from another newbie

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:17PM) (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments Hi, my name is Mandy. I live in MD and work at a high school library. I could say I read young adult books to keep up with what the students are reading, but that's only partially true--I enjoy them as well.

I read a ton this summer and may not have as much time now that school is starting up, but I'll manage.

I thought this group looked like fun, so here I am :)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Hi Mandy! Welcome to the group!!!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Mandy!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hey Mandy welcome! I'm a Marylander too, what part of MD do you hail from? Sounds like a terrific job you have!

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Welcome Mandy!

message 6: by Tlc (last edited Aug 29, 2009 05:13PM) (new)

Tlc | 43 comments Glad you're here Mandy! Thought I'd ask how your HS library is handling the graphic novel influx? It's a mad rush to purchase them in the public library world!

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments As I've been processing the new books this year, I was surprised by the number of graphic novels-- not just manga, but adaptations of Jane Austen and Shakespeare. We definitely try to have a good selection, because we have some students that read them almost exclusively. It is kind of a rush to keep up!

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) At the bookstore we are having a hard time keeping the graphic adaptations on the shelf.

message 9: by Tlc (new)

Tlc | 43 comments I haven't tried reading the classics in the graphic novel genre. So Brenda and Mandy, any suggestions on where to start? Welcome to both of you!

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Tlc wrote: "I haven't tried reading the classics in the graphic novel genre. So Brenda and Mandy, any suggestions on where to start? Welcome to both of you!"

I would try either "Withering Heights," or "Huck Finn." Those two are really popular in Iowa.