Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > How did that happen? :)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Oh my! I have SIXTY books on my GOODREADS "TO READ" shelf!!! Yikes

Make me feel better and tell me how many you have. (pleeasse!)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Rose, I only have 47 I've actually put on Goodreads.

(I think I have a few on my physical shelf that may never get read, so I didn't bother going through the motions.) However, I have 138 on my Wish List.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) I have 141 on my TBR list!

Aagh! I'm adding to it all the time!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 266! Don't you feel better now, Rose?!

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Woweee! Do you actually own them or are you combining a wish list with your "to reads"?

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I won't put a book on my "to read" list unless I really "have to" read it, like first reads books that I need to read and review. Otherwise, it's just too much pressure. :o)

I do keep a wish list on Paperback swap, of books I would like to get, but once any unread book enters my house and joins the book shelf, then it has to sit there patiently and wait it's turn, hoping to be chosen, but with no guarantees. And since I can look at my shelves as see what I have as possiblilities, I don't actually add them to my reading list here until they become "currently reading" books. I may read everything I own, or I may in the future decide some are just not going to make the grade, and those will be swapped away or given to the library book drive.

message 7: by Beth (last edited Aug 26, 2009 04:10PM) (new)

Beth Diiorio (beth_diiorio) | 72 comments My GoodReads "to read" list is hovering in the seventies. Each time I log on to post a book I just finished, I find other goodies by reading recommendations, posts, and lists. Hmmm...too many good books to read?...I guess that's not such a bad problem to have...
:-)

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I have 235 on my TBR list! Feel better Rose!! When I come across a book I may like to read, I add it to the list because I don't want to 'forget' about it! And when I try to go through the list and weed some out, that is just way too stressful...I mean which ones could I possibly remove? :)

message 9: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Okay, after seeing that Rose aske about books on wish list and books owned, I went and checked my personal shelves to see approx. how many books I owned to possibly read. Ignoring all the text books, medical books, travel books, dictionaries, coffee table books, all books I have already read, and all my husbands books, I just did a rough count of my shelves I always scan to see what to read next. I stopped counting when I hit 150. Sheesh! Didn't know I owned that many "to read" books!

message 10: by Rose (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:38PM) (new)

Rose (roseo) Beth said Hmmm...too many good books to read?...I guess that's not such a bad problem to have...:-)

Yessireebob! (I mean Beth) :)

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli I have 728 on my TBR list.... ridiculous huh? ;)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Thanks, Holli--I feel much better about my list now. Mine it books I own and books I've seen that I'm interested in. I do own over 150 of them, though.

message 13: by Holli (new)

Holli I only own 46 that are on my to read list... The rest are ones I wish I owned!! :-)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa So Holli has a wishing problem whereas I have a buying problem! Must learn how to only wish...

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) My GR to-read list is only 50...but I have 300-400 unread books at home, and counting :-)

Don't feel bad, there's not enough time in the day to read all the great books out there!

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli thats funny Lisa! i have always had a wishing problem.... lol

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I have well over 100 (probably over 200) books that I already own, but don't have listed on GR. I just add them as I start reading them or as I put them into a definite TBR stack for something like a group read or a challenge.

message 18: by Barbara H (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) I couldn't believe it when I saw that I have 67 books on my TBR list! I get all my books from my wonderful library, so when I am nearing a need for more to read, I check GR and select one or two to reserve on line. I'm like a child in a candy shop!

Elizabeth (Alaska) The candy shop is an excellent analogy, Barbara. It's a very heady feeling in either a library or a book store.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments I have seventy books on my to read shelf. My relatives gave me a few piles of books when they found out I have to be off my feet for six weeks. Then there are the books on my daughter's bookshelf that I also want to read, Oh, and there are four more coming in the mail. I need an intervention!

message 21: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 130 comments 172! lol every time i see something i want to read i have to add it there or i might forget about it....most of them i haven't bought yet...i just want to lol

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sarah wrote: "My GR to-read list is only 50...but I have 300-400 unread books at home, and counting :-)

Don't feel bad, there's not enough time in the day to read all the great books out there!"

Sarah, that explains all of that packing of books you've been doing!

message 23: by Sarah (last edited Aug 27, 2009 11:37AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Lisa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "My GR to-read list is only 50...but I have 300-400 unread books at home, and counting :-)

Don't feel bad, there's not enough time in the day to read all the great books out there!"..."

EXACTLY!
It's okay though,I enjoy packing them. It takes me forever because I like to flip through them, dust them, and then log them before they go in the box... I know, I know, OCD much?

message 24: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I have 76, but then I also have a mental "to read" list, so if I actually listed all the books I want to read, it'd probably be in the 200s. I don't list books that I own, because I use the list more as a remembering tool, if I already own it, I won't forget I want to read it! :)

message 25: by Nancy (last edited Aug 28, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Thanks Chicks! I'm feelin' MUCH better. I have more TBR books on my actual shelves than are on my Goodreads shelf, but I only put them there when I am close to getting around to it. I am not sure I want to count, but I know its not too horrible. Think I need to print this thread and show it to my husband! He'll either decide that I'm not so bad, OR that I better stay away from a bad influence. Ha! Well I already knew THAT! Unfortunately Borders just feeds my habit and I do the same thing with CD's that I do with books.

message 26: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Nancy said: Think I need to print this thread and show it to my husband! He'll either decide that I'm not so bad...

That's so funny! :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I have 133 on my list and I've recently been on there and deleted MANY books!

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Jo...I have tried to delete some books but usually I'm not very successful!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm now up to 134, lol! Cindy, I go in & purge my list every few months because there's always something there I know I won't read when I take a 2nd look at it. As it is I doubt I'll get to most of them anyway because something always catches my eye @ the library and Barnes & Noble.

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki See I have a serious problem, while I have 299 on my TBR, I already own 269 of them. Not only do I have to compulsively add books, I also have to buy them. True, I'd say over half I had before Goodreads, the compulsion was always there, but the books definitely burn a hole in my TBR and then I have to own them. At least used books and paperbackswap save me some money.

message 31: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) I have more than 500 book on my "to read" list! It used to intimidate me but not so much anymore. I only own about 50 of those books. I add books as I see other people's reviews. I (like Jo) also go through and purge some books from the list periodically.

message 32: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments I think I don't need an intervention after reading all of these posts! They should make a reality show about bookworms. I think it might be boring, though, because we'd all just be quietly reading in different parts of the universe! "ma'am, what made you interested in reading?" "Shhhh, can't you see I'm reading!" end of program.

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Oh Rosemary, that is soooo funny!

message 34: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I have 698 books on my to read listing, but I'd rather have too many than too few. I always have an idea of something to read :)

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Good one Rosemary! Thanks for the giggle!

message 36: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I don't have that many...only books that came as recommendation usually. I have many to-read books but they are all at home and I don't want to list each one in here. My list would be LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments I've trimmed my TBR list to a small size. I figure if after a couple of months that I haven't read it or thought of doing so before the year is out, remove it from my list.

I can always readd when the new year begins.

message 38: by Jo (new)

Jo I am ashamed to admit that i have 450! Everytime someone talks about a book that interests me or i see that someone is reading a book that looks good or someone recommends a book that looks worth a read, i will add it to my list. Its a bit out of control now i think!

message 39: by Queen (new)

Queen | 49 comments Hi ladies! In my estimation, we have an eye for books so our TBR list will be larger than the books we have read. It is quite normal. My TBR list as it stands today is 70 which does not exceed the # of books I've read. My TBR list in my mind is wayyyy more than that. Books on my TBR list I own so far. However, I may add books to this list as a reminder of what to purchase and read. Just think, if someone were to declare us all looney, we will aleady know the crime...buying and reading books with the intent to distribute. And to add to that, we will be committed to a facility that has a...library!!! Now, wouldn't we benefit from that type of rehabilitation :D.

message 40: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments I have a pretty large TBR list, but I find that a number of them get eliminated once I actually start to read them. Lots of books sound good when you read the blurb, but they don't all hold up. Hopefully the books you decide you don't really want to read after all are library books, and not ones you've purchased.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I know just what you mean Marsha! I splurged and bought Olive Kitteridge A Novel in Stories and though a lot of people really liked it, I just couldn't get into it. I put it back on my bookshelf and am hoping to like it better on my next try. That also happened to me with the book A Short History of a Small Place, splurged on it and haven't been able to get into it. Has anyone read that one?
Anyway, that is why I am so hesitant to pay full price for a book! I don't feel so bad if it is a library book!

message 42: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Cindy, I heard a discussion of Olive Kitteridge on NPR last weekend, and paid attention to it because I'd seen the book discussed here on GR, both pro and con. Olive sounded like a horrible person, and I didn't hear a single redeeming thing about the book, although the people discussing it thought it was wonderful. I wonder if they would have thought it was so great if it hadn't won a Pulitzer.

message 43: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I have 57 - and I own all but 8 of them...I may remove that 8 and only put them back once I've actually bought them...what do you think?!

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Ally, you can go to "my books" on your home page. Then "add shelves" and make a "wish list" :). This way you can keep track of what you want to read but don't own yet!

message 45: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) ooh - good plan! - Thanks Rose.

message 46: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Ally, I find that I put books on my list that I want to read just so I won't forget them! I have a 'library to read' list and a 'my bookshelf to read' list. Not sure you should listen to me though as my lists are out of control!

message 47: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I have 193 on my TBR shelf. I should really change it to my wish list. LOL

message 48: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments Umm... I have over 800!!!

message 49: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Maybe Carrie gets the gold star!! :)