The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Cait's Task

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I've noticed a lot of people have questions about Cait's task (as do I), so I figured we might as well start a topic about it too :).

Cait - I'm wondering if it would be okay to use John Irving's The Cider House Rules for the third part of your task (the 'thing' noun). I was thinking 'rules' would be the thing. Is that okay?

message 2: by Beth (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments I think "cider" would count as a thing too, based on the parameters written in the task.

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Yeah, I guess really any of those words would be things... LOL. Good point Beth!

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Yep. :)

All except for "house", which was actually vetoed in the official questions thread.

message 5: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) That's right, I remember seeing that. I was worried my book wasn't going to work after all, but then I figured rules would work. I hadn't even thought about cider until you pointed it out. Clearly I'm having a blonde day (which I'm allowed to do since I'm blonde! LOL)

message 6: by Beth (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:03AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Understood! I frequently suffer from blonde moments myself. It's nice to have something to blame it on!!! ;)~

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments So 'house' officially doesn't count as a 'thing' for the 3rd part of the task? Rats!

*off to change my plan*

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) No, unfortunately it won't work :( Which is why I'm hoping one of the other two words in The Cider House Rules will work... **fingers crossed**!! LOL

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I posted in the questions thread. If the word 'road' counts as a thing, I can switch the books I had for the 2nd and 3rd parts of the task. If not, it's back to the drawing board. :)

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Cider, rules, and road would all work.

Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't really thinking when I posted house as an example. I didn't want it to get too iffy (are house, city, country things or places?), so I modified the task.

Hope this helps! :o)

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Would The Hunger Games work? Games being the thing? Or is that a bit too obscure?

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Not too obscure at all, games is fine.

message 13: by El (new)

El Can the proper name of a place be in the subtitle, such as April Blood Florence and the Plot against the Medici?

message 14: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:39AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Cait, you said "city" (lowercase) won't work for place (which I totally get), but if "City" (uppercase) is part of the name, as in City of Glass, where the place is actually named the "City of Glass"... would that be okay? (See the description of the book...)

EDIT: By the way, I really like your task. I feel like I can actually use books off by TBR list, instead of adding to it! ;)

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments El wrote: "Can the proper name of a place be in the subtitle, such as April Blood Florence and the Plot against the Medici?"

Sure, that works.

message 16: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sara wrote: "Cait, you said "city" (lowercase) won't work for place (which I totally get), but if "City" (uppercase) is part of the name, as in City of Glass, where the place is actually named th..."

That works too, since that's the proper name of the city.

message 17: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments Would "Club" work in The Penny Pincher's Club for the thing part of the task - having a minor blonde moment...

message 18: by Cait (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:49AM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Rebecca wrote: "Would "Club" work in The Penny Pincher's Club for the thing part of the task - having a minor blonde moment..."

Club is ok too. I actually might be reading The Dead Fathers Club for that part of the task.

message 19: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments I thought so but sometimes it doesn't hurt to double check. Thanks! (Great task by the way!)

message 20: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 26, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments The proper name can be just a first or last name, yes? As in Being Nikki...

And the thing... that's fairly wide open, yes? I was going to read The Treasure Map of Boys, where a treasure map is definitely a thing...

message 21: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Rebecca wrote: "I thought so but sometimes it doesn't hurt to double check. Thanks! (Great task by the way!)"

No problem and thanks!

message 22: by Cait (last edited Aug 26, 2009 11:24AM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sara wrote: "The proper name can be just a first or last name, yes? As in Being Nikki..

And the thing... that's fairly wide open, yes? I was going to read The Treasure Map of Boys

Yes, either first name, last name, or both all work. For example,
April & Oliver A Novel
The Boleyn Inheritance
The Late, Lamented Molly Marx A Novel
would all be acceptable for the first book of the task.

The things part of the task is definitely pretty broad. A treasure map is a thing (actually, treasure and map are things all on their own too).

message 23: by Hallie (new)

Hallie c | 17 comments If I wanted to read "The Sun Also Rises" for the third part of the task, would that work? does "sun" count as a place or a thing?

message 24: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Grace wrote: "If I wanted to read "The Sun Also Rises" for the third part of the task, would that work? does "sun" count as a place or a thing?"

Rachel asked about moon in another thread too. I think sun, moon, and star(s) are all acceptable things for the third part of the task.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments Hi Cait

Great task! Can the place be somewhere that isn't real, e.g. A Wizard of Earthsea?

Thanks.

Heidi

message 26: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Heidi wrote: "Hi Cait

Great task! Can the place be somewhere that isn't real, e.g. A Wizard of Earthsea?

Thanks.

Heidi"

Fictional places are fine, as are fictional characters.

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments Fantastic - I've been wanting to read that for ages. Thank you very much!

message 28: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments oh now reading this thread has really confused me! Why is a house not a thing?! I am using Purple Hibiscus on the premise that Hibiscus is a thing. Is that ok?

message 29: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 26, 2009 12:36PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments As I understand it, for the "thing" part of the task, Cait wants a thing that cannot also be considered a generic-type of place (like house, state, country). She wants a more object-like thing. Hibiscus will be fine, I predict.

message 30: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Cait wrote: "Cider, rules, and road would all work.

Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't really thinking when I posted house as an example. I didn't want it to get too iffy (are house, city, country things or p..."

Great! Thanks for clearing that up Cait :)

message 31: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sara wrote: "As I understand it, for the "thing" part of the task, Cait wants a thing that cannot also be considered a generic-type of place (like house, state, country). She wants a more object-like thing. H..."

Sara's correct (and actually worded it a lot better than I did). :o) I'm really sorry for the confusion.

And hibiscus is fine.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments It's funny to see how many titles on my TBR don't have things or places. Many have names though. I love this task!!!!

message 33: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Nicole wrote: "It's funny to see how many titles on my TBR don't have things or places. Many have names though. I love this task!!!!"

Yeah, I'm really liking it too! Thanks for such a great task Cait!!! :D

message 34: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1837 comments I was thinking of reading Liberty A Novel of Lake Wobegon by Garrison Keillor. Is this acceptable as a place. I wasn't sure if this is considered part of the title or not. I know it is on all of his Lake Wobegon novels. I have to read this for my local book club and have been trying to fit it into the challenge somewhere. If not I will have to read it this weekend. Thanks!!

message 35: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Stephanie wrote: "I was thinking of reading Liberty A Novel of Lake Wobegon by Garrison Keillor. Is this acceptable as a place. I wasn't sure if this is considered part of the title or not. I know it is on all of hi..."

GR has it listed as part of the title, so it's ok.

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) 1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

2) A Garden of Vipers I found Garden City, NY on GOOGLE< for PROPER PLACE?

3) 206 Bones for THING/OBJECT

thanks

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments oh no- I misread the original thread and saw house wasn't to be used for a place and thought it was ok for a thing! Must look for a 'thing' book!

message 38: by El (new)

El Teresa wrote: "1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

3) 206 Bones for THIN..."

Teresa, it looks like your first and third questions would be fine (Cass McBride is a proper name and Bones are things). But for your second question I think it would have to have "Garden City" in the title for it to work. "Garden" by itself isn't a proper place.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments I love this task...so easy to work with books on my tbr list!

message 40: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments El wrote: "Teresa wrote: "1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

3) [book:206 Bones|595..."

El is correct. The second one won't work, but the first and third are ok.

message 41: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Michelle wrote: "I love this task...so easy to work with books on my tbr list!"

I'm so glad to hear it!

message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Cait wrote: "El wrote: "Teresa wrote: "1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

3) 206 Bo..."</i>

Thanks, Okay so will this work for # 2
[book:Bones of Betrayal A Body Farm Novel

Google, lists it as Body Farm, Knoxville Tn on its maps,

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Deliverance Dane is the name of a person, right?

message 44: by El (last edited Aug 27, 2009 09:39AM) (new)

El Teresa wrote: "Cait wrote: "El wrote: "Teresa wrote: "1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

..."

Sorry Teresa, Bones of Betrayal wouldn't work either.

"2. With The Name Of A Place In The Title. Again, Proper Nouns Only (Gods In Alabama Or Motherless Brooklyn Would Work; Titles With Nouns Like School, Country, City Would Not)"

The place needs to be in the title itself, and not just where the story takes place.

message 45: by El (new)

El Katie wrote: "Deliverance Dane is the name of a person, right?"

I'm not familiar with the book itself, but I know "Dane" is a relatively common male name so that should work.

message 46: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) El wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Cait wrote: "El wrote: "Teresa wrote: "1) What Happened to Cass McBride? PROPER NAME?

2) A Garden of Vipers I found Garden City, NY on GOOGLE< for P..."

okay not trying to split hairs, but the WHOLE title is bones of betrayal a body farm book, it is on the cover Bones of Betrayal A Body Farm Novel by Jefferson Bass

I am really trying to use a book off my TBR pile instead of adding to it.

message 47: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Teresa, I'll allow that one since GR has the book listed with "Body Farm" in the title, and when I looked up Body Farm online, every article had it as a proper noun (capitalized and referring to a specific, unique place).

message 48: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Katie wrote: "Deliverance Dane is the name of a person, right?"

Dane is fine for a person's name.

message 49: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 27, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments RE: Body Farm

I don't know if this will make a difference, but the following is from someone's review of the book in question:

"The writing team of Jon Jefferson and William Bass has created yet another great novel in the tradition of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. Drawing on Bass' expertise as one of the founders of the so-called "Body Farm" at University of Tennessee, the two have developed a gripping series of police procedurals...."

I think that makes it sound more place-y...

message 50: by El (new)

El Sorry, Teresa, I didn't catch the Body Farm part of the title. I thought you were explaining that the story took place in TN which by itself wouldn't have worked. Don't mind me! At work with a headache today! :)

« previous 1 3