Choke Choke discussion

Choke the movie-- thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey Sims Sam Rockwell stars. I'm kind of excited. It played well at Sundance. What do you think?

message 2: by Carrie (last edited Apr 27, 2008 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie Gould I'm excited to see it, too. I hope it's as good as the book. When is it coming out?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason i'm really shocked they could even turn this into a film but i'm definitely looking forward to it.

Grace Rakich I'm really not looking forward to it. I've seen screencaps of it and it seems to take away the darkness of the novel. Don't get me wrong, I love dark comedy. The direction in Fight Club was incredible. However, Choke looks too "pastel". Very bright, almost like they're trying to do "Chuck Palahniuk as seen through the eyes of Wes Anderson". Separate, the two are masters of their genres, but together, it's two styles of humor and two "color schemes" that just don't work for me. So, no, I'm not really looking forward to the movie. I think they're going to botch it.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Grace thanks for this. Wes Anderson and Choke? like you I can't see Palahniuk and Anderson in any sort of context either. Why isn't Aronofsky involved in this? He would've been perfect.

Grace Rakich Wes Anderson isn't directing it, it was just an example. It's actually first timer Clark Gregg, another reason I'm iffy on this. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/ There's all the info on it.

Matthew It's always fun to see how things get interpreted. Of course it never lives up to the book. Personally, I'd prefer seeing Invisible Monsters, or Lullaby transferred to the screen. I can't wait to see his best friend collecting rocks in his house though!

Kcthinker My computer told me the movie is coming out in September.

Grace Rakich I know it's played in Cinevegas last month. It's making the film festival circuit right now.

message 10: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Richards Maybe its just me, but the actor portraying Denny doesn't seem right for the part. But I still have high hopes for this movie.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm excited to see how it will translate on screen but fear that if it fails miserably, it will be awhile before we see another attempt at turning one of Chuck's novels into a movie.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it does well and sticks to the story and its characters. Why mess with greatness?

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 28, 2008 12:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer Comes out Sept 26. Here's the official trailer.

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/videos

The tone and feel def. does seem a lot lighter than the book. Good cast though, most of them are what I pictured. All except for Paige Marshall ... she's not as swarthy as she was in my head. The movie could still be good, I'm excited.

Kcthinker It has been years since I read the book. I remember laughing more than once about every 3 pages.

I will support this movie, because I hope more movies will be made with intelligence and I hope it encourages more people to seek reading good satire so there will be better political discourse.

Yes, I know I am dreaming. If it could possibly tilt thinking away from fear mongering and mean ideas, I am all for it.

Marjorie Oh, I love the look of the trailer. I think I may have to re-read the book after I see the movie. Been a while since I read the book, so I think the movie interpretation won't interfere with my vision. Sam Rockwell is a great actor.

Sigal I think the movies gonna suck big time.

Kcthinker What clues or information is leading you to that thought?

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara I think Sam Rockwell will be brilliant.

Saamanta im really excited to see the movie as well. i'd love to see invisble monsters done in a similar style to fight club.

it comes out september 22nd in mainstream theaters.

i think the preview made it seem a bit corny but with the story line put in i think it will flow well. ... lets hope so!

i love chuck p!

Kcthinker I heard from one guy who said he left the during the movie because he claimed it was too raunchy.

Yes, I would agree the story is raunchy. It made me laugh.

I know humor is personal, but if you can make me laugh, I will become your friend.

Monika I just saw the movie last week, and i absolutely loved it.
I thought that there could have been a better actor to play the main charachter's part, but overall, I thought it was great. Angelica Huston was awesome as the mom in the movie!

Rebecca Grubb The movie is great. If someone left because it was raunchy, they clearly hadn't read the book. Which is way raunchier, and more hilarious. The actors were well chosen. Sam Rockwell and Angelica Huston are great.

Chuck P is brilliant. My favorite book so far has been "Invisible Monsters", but I am starting "Snuff" soon.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched the film adaptation yesterday and I have to say that I was unimpressed. They altered some parts of the book and it seemed to adhere to 'Hollywood' standards. For example, they altered the ending entirely. I much prefer seeing all four standing over a rock of ruins than seeing Paige and Victor doing it in a plane and being so stereotypically sick in love. It doesn't reflect the theme of the novel. I'm sure that it's a great movie for those who haven't read the book as of yet.

Maggie Rebecca wrote: "The movie is great. If someone left because it was raunchy, they clearly hadn't read the book. Which is way raunchier, and more hilarious. The actors were well chosen. Sam Rockwell and Angelica Hus..."
Invisible Monsters is one of my faves as well. Try Survivor. Fantastic!

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate Rebecca wrote: "The movie is great. If someone left because it was raunchy, they clearly hadn't read the book. Which is way raunchier, and more hilarious. The actors were well chosen. Sam Rockwell and Angelica Hus..."

"Snuff" is pretty disturbing, but what book of his isn't? Enjoy.

Derek Matthew wrote: "It's always fun to see how things get interpreted. Of course it never lives up to the book. Personally, I'd prefer seeing Invisible Monsters, or Lullaby transferred to the screen. I can't wait to s..."

This was actually my biggest problem after seeing the movie. There were a ton of visuals in the book that I thought would just be great for the screen, but when I watched the movie they were either glossed over or skipped all together. I don't know if that was just bad directing or a bad re-write for the script but they missed a HUGE opportunity in the movie. The movie wasn't horrible but as always the book was just leaps and bounds better.

Richard the book wasn't one of his best, it tried too hard and didn't really pull it together, but it did have a strangely lovely ending.

the movie, well it went all over the place and never quite got anywhere.

Emperorstephen Sandyboy wrote: "the book wasn't one of his best, it tried too hard and didn't really pull it together, but it did have a strangely lovely ending.

the movie, well it went all over the place and never quite got ..."

movie was crap. the book has some potential but not as good as invisible monsters or fight club

message 28: by Kori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kori I love Sam Rockwell, even though he does some really bad movies. I sat through Moon (Multiple Sam Rockwells so yah! - but a bad movie so boo!), Matchstick Men, and Choke.

I liked the book, but the movie... it fell flat for me. I liked Sam Rockwell and Angelica Huston, but it just didn't gel for me. Too bad. The commercials made it look really good.

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna i did not like it, the book had a feel to it which the movie failed to recreate.

Kcthinker The book was way cool. The movie was not so good.

Kitsch Haus two words: SAM ROCKWELL

Leona Loved the book but not the movie. Shame really since it could have been really great.

Rupert Walker When "Reckoner" is played towards the of the film it seems to fit fantastically.

Cagne I was kinda bummed out when they left the scene where all his benefactors find at the same time it's a scam, they just put in a scene of him on tv. Another thing someone pointed out and i agree to is how the director wrote/had written a part for himself in the movie.

Ahmed Jalal Bad movie .. very bad one , the novel was far more interesting , something is missing with the narration and the director , or may be i'm too fascinated with the fight club movie that the comparison makes Choke so cheap !

Colin I saw the movie when it was released at festivals.

Suffice it to say I remember little of the movie. All of the shocking, funny and enjoyable scenes which I remember are all tied to the book, and not the film.

Hüseyin Günder I hearded that the movie very unsuccessful. But if David Fİncher was directed the this movie what will do i dont know exactly