Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > New Sony e-reader w/library access

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/25/so...

has the ability to download digital books from your library! Partnering with Overdrive. Gosh this sounds like something a lot of you all could really use! Especially being able to get your digital downloads from the library and read on your e-reader. Wow, this would be a great thing.

I cannot read a book on my computer for some reason. Just cannot do it. And I still love my kindle, but for those of you who are library queens (and kings), it's something to think about.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7793 comments Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/25/so...

has the ability to download digital books from your library! Partnering with Overdrive. Gosh this sounds like something a lo..."

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It's pricey at $400, but the ability to download library books is a plus. I wonder what the expiration date setup is. I might find it a challenge to be a Library Scoflaw, which would take some of the fun out of library patronage, and might cause my own library to close down a wing, LOL.

Thanks for the info, Gail.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments It's pricey at $400, but the ability to download library books is a plus. I wonder what the expiration date setup is. I might find it a challenge to be a Library Scoflaw, which would take some of the fun out of library patronage, and might cause my own library to close down a wing, LOL.

I think it said 21 days. I don't like that you would have to download to a pc first though.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Thanks Gail!
I saw this Sony book reader news in an article this morning and was intrigued when I saw the part about access to library books.
As Amy noted, Overdrive lending times are often 21 days, and yes, the book expires to the hour twenty-one days later. (so scofflaws are stuck with no book) The last book I downloaded on Overdrive from my library last week actually gave me an option for a 7, 14 or 21 days lending period which was nice.
Maybe the Sony competition will nudge Amanzon to open up Kindles to library lending of ebooks!

"Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/25/so...

has the ability to download digital books from your library! Partnering with Overdrive. Gosh this sounds (really good!)...
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "It's pricey at $400, but the ability to download library books is a plus. I wonder what the expiration date setup is."

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks Gail!
I saw this Sony book reader news in an article this morning and was intrigued when I saw the part about access to library books.
wrote: "http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/25/so...

There was also an article in The Economist entitled "The Death of the Kindle?" I had it marked to forward the link, but I lost it somehow. Said much the same thing as mentioned here.

message 6: by Gail/Ladyvolz (last edited Aug 29, 2009 12:36PM) (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments I just read that the Sony Pocket reader also will download from the library. It's priced at $199 and holds approx 350 books. It too will accommodate .pdf, word and other document styles that the kindle will not. You do have to order a separate charger if you want to charge using an electrical outlet. You can also buy extended warranty with drop protection.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/s...

Just a thought, especially with the ability to download library books, purchase books from the Sony store and download all the free classics, plus there a lots of e books being offered from various authors from their web sites. With a kindle we have to convert them to be able to read on the kindle, but with the Sony, they should download just fine.

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments $199 is a nice price, and an ebook would be great for travel, but the 199 model is 5", much smaller than a paperback. These things are getting better and cheaper, but I'll remain a holdout for now.
Barry

message 8: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments *******Just a note, if you are interested because of the library option, be sure and confirm that your library offers EBOOKS using the Overdrive platform and that the ebooks can be used on a computer AND a Sony reader. You might also check out the ebooks offered to confirm that they have enough to make it worth your while....... Some libraries only offer audio books using the Overdrive platform.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Gail:
You make some good points.
Our library has Net Library and Overdrive audio books and the formats available vary widely by the book. A fairly small number allow CD burning, all download to a PC and many allow download to pda's and other MP3 type players. It is only recently that they have started allowing downloads to Apple products since originally the IPods, etc. didn't support the software that makes the books unusable after the lending period ends.
I don't have much luck reading books on my pc screen, so haven't paid as much attention to non audio book downloads.

Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "*******Just a note, if you are interested because of the library option, be sure and confirm that your library offers EBOOKS using the Overdrive platform and that the ebooks can be used on a computer AND a Sony reader. You might also check out the ebooks offered to confirm that they have enough to make it worth your while....... Some libraries only offer audio books using the Overdrive platform...."