Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Laurie (Kwiltreader) 50 books list

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (Kwiltreader) (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) I'm new to this group and also to Goodreads. so far this month, I've read 1. True Evil by Greg Iles;
2. Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas;
3. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult;
4. The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean;
5. The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer;
6. Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane.

message 2: by Laurie (Kwiltreader) (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 7. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie.

message 3: by Laurie (Kwiltreader) (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 8. Dirty Martini by JA Konrath

message 4: by Laurie (Kwiltreader) (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 9. The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 10. Set in Darkness by Ian Rankin
11. Naming of the Dead by Ian Rankin
12. Blow the House Down by Robert Baer
13. Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson
14. The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
15. Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde
16. The Colorado Kid by Stephen King
17. Blue Smoke and Mirrors by Elizabeth Lowell
18. The Liars Club by Mary Carr
19. Florida Straits by Laurence Shames
20. Stone Cold by David Baldacci
21. Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig
22. Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva
23. The Best Defense by Barbara Halloway
24. Turquoise Girl by Thurlows
25. Out of the Sun by Robert Goddard

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 26. Delusions by Peter Abrahams
27. Storm Runners by T. Jefferson Parker
28. Killer View by Ridley Pearson
29. Missing Justice by Alafair Burke
30. The Woods by Harlan Coban
31. Voodoo River by Robert Crais
32. Rules of Deception by Christopher Reich
33. Desparate Measures by David Morrell
34. Scavengers by David Morrell

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 35. Fuzzy Navel by JA Konrath

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 36. Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child. Reacher is mildly interesting in this one but team members were less so. His former team members use a number code to reach Reacher who is unreachable, except thru his bank account. I lost interest before the last disc.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 37. Black Maps by Peter Spiegelman, financial who-dunit...John March, PI, financial/bank blackmailer...lots of data and detail and Wall Street type of info–maybe too much...may read another one by this author.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 38. Mad River Road by Joy Fielding. Wisteria Lane type setting with a psychopath.
39. Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 40. The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 41. The Shimmer by David Morrell—definitely my favorite by this author…held my interest all the way thru with a very acceptable wrap up in the end. Based loosely on the Marfa lights with several stories and characters which were well intertwined.
42. Martina, the Beautiful Cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy—This is a children’s book that has gotten some awards. Might not even count in my goal but listing it anyway—Cuban folktale—cute story—smattering of Spanish words and meanings mixed in—made us laugh.
43. The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis. NF-interesting premise about a group of women who to decide to share in the ownership of an expensive piece of jewelry. Like the idea but felt that the book didn’t really give me a true picture of each of the women, their reasons for participating and how it impacted them. Each chapter was titled for each woman but some individual stories strayed off to other women and I was never clear why. It will be interesting to see what book club has to say.
44. Sicken and So Die by Simon Brett—another Charles Paris mystery. This involved actors and the variety of interpretations of Shakespeare’s works from traditional to bizarre. Entertaining.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Laurie, I've read your last one, Sicken and So Die, and I was surprised at my own emotional reaction to the story as a whole, and the ending, too. I'm not sure even, how I would describe the main character's character, I was trying to find something about him that would explain his motivation, that is...something redeeming, but he just seemed to be...cold-blooded. I must confess, it's been a couple of years since I've read that book, and my memory isn't so sharp on details, but I think this book was one of the few that left me cold...not exactly hating the protagonist, but being amazed that he could be so unfeeling toward another.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 45. The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde—

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 46. Blood Dreams by Kay Hooper
47. Stealing Athena by Karen Essex
48. Crusader’s Cross by James Lee Burke
49. One Incredible Moment by Max Lucado
50. Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson
Yay, reached my goal of 50. Now onto my new goal for this year--it's the same as my age--will let you know if I make it.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 51. In Plain Sight by CJ BOX
52. Escape by Tannenbaum, Robert K
53. Gone~~Gardner, Lisa
54. Dead Connection~~ Burke, Alafair
55. Missing Justice~~Burke, Alafair
56. Killer Week-end by Pearson, Ridley
57. The Monster of Florence by Preston, Douglas
58. In the Lake of the Woods by O’Brien, Tim

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 59. Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein
60. The White Tiger–Aravind Adiga
61. Brother, I’m Dying—Edwidge Danticat
62. Cat Dancers—PT Deutermann
63. The Turnaround—George Pelecanos

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 64. The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
65. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
66. Mattimeo by Brian Jacques
67. Compulsion by Jonathon Kellerman
68. Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt
69. On The Road by Jack Kerouac

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "64. The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
65. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
66. Mattimeo by Brian Jacques
67. Compulsion by Jonathon Kellerman
68. Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt
69. ..."

So, Laurie, what did you think of Jack Kerouac??? He was very popular during my heyday, the 60's, 'Beat Generation' and all that...

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) On the Road--maybe if I had read this back in the 60's, it would have been enjoyable. I found it to be an endless, mindless roadtrip...did I mention endless??

message 21: by Carol (last edited Nov 23, 2009 07:57AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "On the Road--maybe if I had read this back in the 60's, it would have been enjoyable. I found it to be an endless, mindless roadtrip...did I mention endless??"
I kind of had the same reaction, and wondered what all the fuss was about. A letdown, even for this (at the time) beatnik chick. And I love road trips, too, but not this one.

message 22: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "On the Road--maybe if I had read this back in the 60's, it would have been enjoyable. I found it to be an endless, mindless roadtrip...did I mention endless??"

I despised that book. I think it is the only book I have never finished. So I suppose I will need to give it another try some day when I am desperate to see if my opinions have changed since my 20 somethings when I was convinced that the book was written to objectify women and portray them as unimportant.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) nah--don't bother--too many other good books to read and so little time...Molly wrote: "Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "On the Road--maybe if I had read this back in the 60's, it would have been enjoyable. I found it to be an endless, mindless roadtrip...did I mention endless??"

I de..."

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 70. Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
71. Amateur by Littell
72. Bury the Lead by David Rosenfelt
I will definately hit 75 by the end of this year. What will be the new challenge for 2010, I wonder?

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 73. Woman Strangled News at Ten by Laurie Moore
74. Rules of Prey—John Stanford
75. Whiteout-Ken Follett

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) 76. Mariposa by Greg Bear
77. The Pale Blue Eye—Louis Bayard
78. A is for Alibi-Sue Grafton
79. The Rescue Artist-Edward Dolnick
80. The Homeless Christmas Tree-Leslie Gordon