TWILIGHT HATERS discussion

Anti Twilight Rants/Stuff > I am compelled to point out the pointlessness of Edward's chastity....

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sbschultz) Okay, so I am only halfway through the first book, and am making myself suffer through it because... well, God only knows why. Anyway, from what I hear about the later books, Edward is a prude and refuses to have premarital sex. Okay, fine, I'm not saying people can't wait for marriage

But seriously, wtf? I don't care if he was born in a more conservative era, he's lived through many societal changes in point of view. Jesus, he lived through the 80's. But most of all, he is so concerned with chastity because premarital sex is sinful?! Um, I'm sorry, but aren't vampires already damned hell-spawn? And, considering Bella wants to be a vampire as well, why would her chastity matter any more than his? Does Stephenie Meyer give any better explanation and I just haven't come to it yet? Because seriously, it makes NO sense.

message 2: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 38 comments Everything that woman writes doesn't makes sense.

Like the Rosalie.

Her father owned a bank.

DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION!!!!!!!

And she lived in a middle class home because her father owned a bank and she was perfectly fine.

The reason why the GD even happened was because the banks failed. So Stephanie didn't do her homework.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sbschultz) Wow. That's just... ridiculous.

Her lack of research does not surprise me. I know it's fiction, which implies making a bunch of junk up, but if you reference reality, history, etc, at least have the good sense to do it right.

message 4: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 38 comments Exactly.

I was like come on now Stephanie. Really? Are you that bad of a writer? Come on

message 5: by Ain020596 (new)

Ain020596 I heard that Smeyer didnt even go to forks-she searched all about it online.
seriously

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyway......THE STORY IS NOT POSSIBLE! NOT EVEN IN MY FANTASY MIND!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

same here... but then again, im stuck in victorian london at the moment... XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5SJa...

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique | 98 comments Ok, I did not even take in the chastity part, but I only read the first book, but this is my take on it: SM wanted to teach teens a lesson to not have sex and wanted her book to be wholesome....which is so lame and boring!

message 9: by Monique (new)

Monique | 98 comments while in the same book advocating to young girls to give up their lives for a guy who tells them what to do en when to do it while he stalks them...WTF?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sbschultz) Yeah, she teaches abstinence I suppose (I won't get started on how teaching only abstinence to teens is pretty pointless). But she also teaches girls that getting married right out of high school at the age of 18 is the solution to waiting until marriage for sex (in other words, the sooner you get married the sooner you can lose the chastity belt).

I'm only halfway through Twilight and she's already mentioned that Bella's mom got married at 19 and that one of Jacob's sisters, who is only one year older than Bella, was married. And though I haven't gotten to the other books (which I will probably refuse to read), I know Bella marries Edward as soon as graduation is over. The thought that these ideas are being encouraged in young girls makes me ill. Society already has enough antiquated ideas oppressing women, we don't need other women advocating early marriage (and pregnancy) over going to college, having one's own life, having a career, being strong on one's own, etc.

The only thing these books will breed is a bunch of hormonal girls with overly romanticized ideas about what to expect from men, life, and relationships. And I'm sorry to have to tell them that real life will be sorely disappointing by comparison.

message 11: by Monique (new)

Monique | 98 comments He then continues to knock her up on their Honeymoon...wtf?

message 12: by Monique (new)

Monique | 98 comments so she's a 19 year old mom...

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sbschultz) Which is exactly what every girl needs to idealize for their life!!! I know that I was TOTALLY mature enough to have babies when I was 19.

message 14: by Monique (new)

Monique | 98 comments Also Edward killed at least a couple of humans when he was "younger", so is SM trying to say having pre-marital sex is worse than murdering some one?

message 15: by Simona-- (new)

Simona-- I'm kind of intense  (completelyinsane) | 806 comments And in Breaking Dawn with only one thing in mind. Um hello?! Seriously, way to plan THAT one out SM. When we talk about marriage isn't it just a huge middle finger that in this popular series Bella basically goes SCREW LOVE, I JUST WANT SEX.

message 16: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments Smeyer has a twisted mind. Seriously. I mean, we're talking about the chick who has a fetish with pedophilia. Also, did anyone hear about SM getting sued for BD because apparantly some chick posted parts of her own FANFIC on the internet that included lots of the same shit as the fourth book before BD camae out?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "Yeah, she teaches abstinence I suppose (I won't get started on how teaching only abstinence to teens is pretty pointless). But she also teaches girls that getting married right out of high school ..."

okay, this is for teens and all, APPARENTLY, according to sm...
well, my L=grammar teacher ruined my day the other day. ask why? we where talking about GOOD, SUSPENSEFUL literature, and would you know it, she brought BREAKING DAWN out as an example, and she said the main reason she started reading the series because it was written for 'young adolescents' and thats the age group that she tought... WTH?!

message 18: by Ain020596 (new)

Ain020596 Ohmygosh, i feel your pain!!! That's HORRIBLE!!!
Adults are too blinded by Twilight. Take my religious teacher for example! She hates vampires, but *POOF* after reading about sparkly freaks that do not eat humans, she LOVES them!!!!!!!! I kept cringing whenever i see the twilight books with her!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

*nods* but this is the SECOND YEAR ive had a language arts teacher who likes twilight, what the heck?!

message 20: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments My friend (Rose, you all know her!) has a Spanish teacher who LOVES Twilight and has a poster of it - and the worst part is: she sits right across from the poster. The one time you hate the seating chart more than you usually do? When Deadward is constantly staring at you for an entire hour.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

eap! lol, in homeroom im stuck sitting next to guy who reads the whole series over and over again... at the moment hes reading BD... O.o

message 22: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments A GUY?!?!?! That's disturbing... I mean, it's a chick-lit!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

yep... *shudders* and hes read every book in the series more than once... the even scarier thing is, he asked a girl if he could borrow HER copy of BD earlier in the year, and she said, yeah

message 24: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments Ew. Just, ew.

message 25: by Ain020596 (new)

Ain020596 EyesOnFire wrote: "My friend (Rose, you all know her!) has a Spanish teacher who LOVES Twilight and has a poster of it - and the worst part is: she sits right across from the poster. The one time you hate the seating..."
YIKES FREAKY!

guys totally shouldnt like twilight. It opposes the natural force of nature. Eeeew...

message 26: by Luna (new)

Luna | 871 comments OMFG to all the school bein taken over by twilight stuff, I havent started school yet but i hope none of my teachers like twilight, and if they do Ill have a great time discussinwhy it sucks, altho Ill have ot leave out all the sex related reasons, which takes out like half of the really good reasons

message 27: by Luna (new)

Luna | 871 comments and also these are some really good points! yay!

message 28: by Luna (new)

Luna | 871 comments lol, o and the one that said Twilight is a story about a girl who marries a "vampire" for sex was ME!!!!!!!! yay!