Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Can you make author descriptions in a non-english language? & other author stuff

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laven (new)

Laven (lavendelchen) | 313 comments So, I recently became a librarian and am enjoying my ability to edit stuff and I'm struggling a bit with author information..
There are authors which only have books published in one language and you can find information about them also only in that language. So is it ok to make the bio and stuff in that language or should it still be english?
In general, I didnt really find any regulations about author information. Editing books is so strictly ruled, but authors... i found nothing. For example, is it ok to use their wikipedia article as a biography? And can you just choose their genres after what the books from them are about without any official confirmation?

Thank you so much for anyone who cares to answer this :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4570 comments Laven wrote: "So, I recently became a librarian and am enjoying my ability to edit stuff and I'm struggling a bit with author information..
There are authors which only have books published in one language and y..."

Hi Laven & congratulations on becoming a librarian.

If the author is a GR author (it says on their bio) they are the only ones that can edit their bio.

If the author is not a GR author you can certainly write their biography in their native language. You should credit your source (for example Wikipedia) at the end. If there is an English language bio already on the author page I would leave it there, unless the information is totally incorrect. It goes without saying with common names, be sure you are on the correct page - ie, not the default or one of the 10 other authors with the same name.

When I choose the genres I just choose genres I am positive the author wrote in. As far as I'm aware you don't have to give a source.

message 3: by Laven (new)

Laven (lavendelchen) | 313 comments Thanks, that helped a lot :)