Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

General Chat > Ebook Ownership Could Happen With Blockchain

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
Blockchain technology may lead to true ebook ownership.

The vast majority of publishers use DRM to encrypt their ebooks and some retailers like Amazon have their own formats. Publishers have mandated that when you purchase an ebook, you are merely licensing it. There is no true sense of ownership. This has led to a crisis in confidence in the digital format because ebook stores can go out of business, shut down their systems and anyone who purchased an ebook is out of luck. Blockchain technology might change the game when it comes to ebooks, finally giving us true ownership.

Read the full story and the concept at https://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...

message 2: by Erunyauve (new)

Erunyauve | 168 comments Interesting - the whole concept of blockchain and digital assets has some interesting applications, and not only for books. I'll occasionally buy a 'real' book if it's one I will want to have for years to come. (And sometimes, I buy both - the Kindle version for reading and the hardcover for keeping.)

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissieml) | 113 comments I rarely buy e-books, precisely because of the limitations they have for sharing them over physical books. Instead I rely on my lending library licencing e-books for borrowers, whilst wishing there was a way I could share any I do buy with friends (or donate to charity!).

But I'm not convinced about blockchain either. Any virtual entity is vulnerable to corruption, EMP, malevolence, developments in software that can result eventually in an inability to read old documents, and especially hardware failure. I will wait to be convinced. Now, where did I put my quill and ink?

message 4: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "I rarely buy e-books, precisely because of the limitations they have for sharing them over physical books. Instead I rely on my lending library licencing e-books for borrowers, whilst wishing there..."

Block chain is very good as it is open to all and thousands can see any transaction so you can't falisfy it as you then have to go to the other million computers that have the record and falsify them which is virtually impossible. Read https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is...