Mental Illness Support Group discussion

Group Read for June 2019

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 19 comments Would anyone be up for a group read in June? It’s seems late for May because I think we should all have time to find the book that we select.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (catsteaandbooks) I can also always see if it is on my library's app.
I do small orders monthly. I could get the book if it's on thriftbooks or book outlet! :)

ahhhh exciting!

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 19 comments First we need book selections what book are you excited to read? Are we looking to read a book that is fiction or non fiction? Do we want to have a character(s) who have mental illness.

Think about what interests you and give us the name it the book you are interested in. Let’s say we take nominations till April 26. That gives me time to organize the list for a group vote. Hopefully the books are easy to find at libraries, from friends, cheap or free on Amazon. It free if you have kindle unlimited.

Right now just focus on what you are interested in reading that the group might also like. I will give a theme if that makes it easier.

message 4: by Tucker (new)

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader) (tuckeralmengor) | 238 comments Mod
Any theme?

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 19 comments I was leaving it open so we could see what people were interested in. Do you have a theme suggestion?

message 6: by Tucker (new)

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader) (tuckeralmengor) | 238 comments Mod
〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "I was leaving it open so we could see what people were interested in. Do you have a theme suggestion?"

Not especially!

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 19 comments Tucker wrote: "〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "I was leaving it open so we could see what people were interested in. Do you have a theme suggestion?"

Not especially!"

Is there a book you are interested in reading that you would like to nominate for the group to read in June?

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 19 comments I’d like to nominate Scrawl Scrawl by Mark Shulman by Mark Shulman

message 9: by L (last edited May 02, 2019 07:30PM) (new)

L Allen (oakwood) | 2 comments I'd love to do a group read! Fiction with a mentally ill character is my preferred read- if you havent already decided on something, it doesnt look like it though. I'd like to nominate The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon
It's won quite a few awards and its a few years old so it's likely to be in libraries or at a cheapish price now. Main character has a developmental disorder (autism/Asperger's) so very relevant :)

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (catsteaandbooks) L wrote: "I'd love to do a group read! Fiction with a mentally ill character is my preferred read- if you havent already decided on something, it doesnt look like it though. I'd like to nominate The Curious ..."

I would love a book with the main character having MI! I myself have Bipolar 1, ptsd, severe ocd, and anxiety. Let's look at some? I have been searching. I heard of a few recently. Turtles all the way down, being one. I am ordering it tomorrow so i'll have it anyway!

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (catsteaandbooks) What about This? Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

message 12: by Samantha (last edited May 03, 2019 04:34PM) (new)

Samantha (catsteaandbooks) Two Bipolar Chicks Guide To Survival Tips for Living with Bipolar Disorder by Wendy K. Williamson I would also love a book with agoraphobia or really any MI in it.

FYI to anyone with Bipolar OR Borderline. This book is AMAZING. It is written by women with bipolar, but some of it could help BPD people and anyone with MI really. Amazing sources and tips. I loved it.

message 13: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Verma (rverma) | 25 comments group disscussions