What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Vigil
This topic is about Vigil
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dark comedy, screenplay novella, man moves in with his dying aunt and wants her to die/ tells her to die, the entire thing is a monologue of the man as the aunt doesn't speak to him. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rayah (last edited Nov 26, 2019 04:17PM) (new) - added it

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Vigil Is the name of the book!

This was a dark comedy screenplay in the form of a novella about a man who moves in to his dying aunt's house to take care of her until she dies so he can get her inheritance. The entire book is a monologue of the man speaking to his aunt with the aunt not talking at all. It includes him telling her he wishes she was dead, building a noose for her, reminiscing about when he first met her and how glamorous she was, and I think it included him talking about his cross-dressing habits.

I read it during a high school English class in 2012 but I believe it was an older book than the 2000's (around 1960's perhaps). I think it was set in England but it may have been set in America. All of the scenes occurred in the aunt's bedroom. The cover image had red, green, or yellow patterned wallpaper.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Rayah (new) - added it

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Just remembered that the main characters name is Kemp.

message 3: by Rayah (new) - added it

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Bump

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4839 comments What time period did the story take place?

message 5: by Rayah (new) - added it

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Tab wrote: "What time period did the story take place?"

I want to say it took place around the 60's but I'm not certain.

message 6: by Rayah (new) - added it

message 7: by Rayah (new) - added it

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4118 comments Vigil probably? I found it by googling kemp "dying aunt"

message 9: by Rayah (new) - added it

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Ayshe wrote: "Vigil probably? I found it by googling kemp "dying aunt""

Yes!!! That's it, thank you so much! I tried google searching everything I could think of and couldn't find anything when I first started searching!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vigil (other topics)