Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

On the Beach
This topic is about On the Beach
Archives > On the Beach, by Nevil Shute

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments They are the last generation, the innocent victims of an accidental war, living out their last days, making do with what they have, hoping for a miracle. As the deadly rain moves ever closer, the world as we know it winds toward an inevitable end…

In my effort to bust out of a reading slump, I'm reading this one - just as a side read - as I've heard lots of good things about it. So far, I'm really enjoying it, and he's even mentioned the suburb I lived in for ten years, which I never in my wildest dreams imagined would ever happen!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments This is my all time favorite book ever. The first time I read it was in high school. I reread it all the time. Anytime I see a copy of it, I buy it. It started my love for apocalyptic fiction. So to see a post about it, I just did a quiet gasp in public. I am so glad you are liking it.

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2491 comments I loved this book, too! I read it a few years ago and recently watched the old movie.

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I’m really loving it so far. It’s such a quietly beautiful book, not at all what I’d expected! It reminds me a bit of Stoner - I’m getting very similar feels from it.

Kathryn | 563 comments I read this earlier this month and used it for the speculative fiction category. I hope it never becomes more than speculative fiction! It's not my favourite Nevil Shute, and I'd hoped for something more in the ending, but nothing else would probably have worked.