Catholic Thought discussion

The Imitation of Christ > Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerstin (last edited Apr 20, 2019 07:47PM) (new)

Kerstin | 1281 comments Mod
28 April – 4 May Book 1
5 – 11 May: Book 2
12 – 18 May: Book 3; 1 – 30
19 – 25 May: Book 3; 31 – 59
26 May – 1 June Book 4

The Imitation of Christ is one of the most read Christian texts after the Bible and a true spiritual classic. Thomas à Kempis, an Augustinian monk and novice master wrote it 600 years ago anywhere between 1418 and 1427 (the dates seem to fluctuate depending on the source). It became immensely popular and no one knows how many editions have been published over the centuries. The British Museum has in its collection around 2000 individual editions! Interestingly enough, it is very popular among Protestants as well. I wonder what their reaction is to the 4th book on the Eucharist…

I read it two years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It will be interesting to see if the passages that I underlined or what I wrote in the margins speak to me again or if I have a different reaction this time.

message 2: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3568 comments Mod
Kerstin wrote: "I read it two years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It will be interesting to see if the passages that I underlined or what I wrote in the margins speak to me again or if I have a different reaction this time. "

I read it five years ago and only gave it two stars...lol. Recently I raised it to three stars based on how my grade inflation has evolved. But I wasn't as devout then as I am now, so we'll see how I react to it now. But level of devoutness didn't have much to do with my assessment. I'll speak up as we get into it.

message 3: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Unverzagt (abigaildarcy) | 45 comments Kerstin wrote: "28 April – 4 May Book 1
5 – 11 May: Book 2
12 – 18 May: Book 3; 1 – 30
19 – 25 May: Book 3; 31 – 59
26 May – 1 June Book 4

The Imitation of Christ is one of the most read Christian texts after the..."

This will be my first time reading said book. It has always been on the list for me to read since my conversion, but with so many books, life, and studies I just have never gotten around to it.

Thank you this gets me to read this book. I cannot wait for my thoughts and discussion we all will have on said book.

God Bless,
Nikita

P.S. Happy Easter!

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments I read this 30 years ago during grad school. At the time, I was reading a large number of spiritual classics and this was one of my least liked. I am trying to convince myself to reread it for this discussion, but my heart is not into it.

message 5: by Manny (new)

Irene wrote: "I read this 30 years ago during grad school. At the time, I was reading a large number of spiritual classics and this was one of my least liked. I am trying to convince myself to reread it for this..."

I understand Irene. It wasn't my favorite either, and we can discuss why. But no question some people love it and swear by it. So it could be a good discussion. I started reading yesterday. It reads fast, if that might sway your decision. I read half of Book 1 in a little over a half hour, and I'm not a fast reader.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 23 comments I’m hoping to start back up with you all this book read. I have this book in my library so it is perfect to begin again. I didn’t get very far, so I’m hoping to stay with it. The book, I remember being very powerful and needing to take in bits at a time.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Melissa wrote: "I’m hoping to start back up with you all this book read. I have this book in my library so it is perfect to begin again. I didn’t get very far, so I’m hoping to stay with it. The book, I remember b..."

Melissa, welcome back. It will be great to have you in our discussion.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments I was able to talk with my son yesterday and this is also what he is currently reading.! I tried to read this several years ago and didn't get very far, hoping to do much better this time. On a side note, found out yesterday that my son will be starting his seminary studies on May 6!

message 9: by Manny (new)

Lisa wrote: "I was able to talk with my son yesterday and this is also what he is currently reading.! I tried to read this several years ago and didn't get very far, hoping to do much better this time. On a sid..."

Well then this is perfect for you Lisa! We here all wish your son success. Bless him. :)

message 10: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 562 comments On a side note, found out yesterday that my son will be starting his seminary studies on May 6

message 11: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 562 comments Lisa, how wonderful for you! I'm trying to draw my grown kids into rethinking the Church, but what a blessing to have one entering the religious life!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Madeleine, my son entered Carmel on Sept 15, 2014. It has seem a true blessing to learn more about our faith through his journey. He had thought it would be awhile before he was going to be able to start his studies because they have been in the process of building their monastery, so it was a wonderful gift for him to heat from Fr. Prior that it is now time. Please keep him and all the Carmelite monks in your prayers as they complete their move to their permanent monastery and all of their families as the rules of cloister become more in effect.

message 13: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 142 comments I don't know how I missed reading The Imitation of Christ. I've always known about it, just never read it. This group-read is prodding me to get it off my to-be-read pile. I've been away from the group for a while, and look forward to rejoining discussions.

message 14: by Manny (new)

Gerri wrote: "I don't know how I missed reading The Imitation of Christ. I've always known about it, just never read it. This group-read is prodding me to get it off my to-be-read pile. I've been away from the g..."

That’s great Gerri. It’s good to have you back but I don’t think you were gone that long. Which book read was it you last participated in with us?

message 15: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Unverzagt (abigaildarcy) | 45 comments I have already started reading The Imitation of Christ and have started a Word Document to write down my thoughts so when it is time for the discussions to begin I will have my thoughts are put together to post.

God Bless,
Nikita

message 16: by Manny (last edited Apr 24, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Nikita wrote: "I have already started reading The Imitation of Christ and have started a Word Document to write down my thoughts so when it is time for the discussions to begin I will have my thoughts are put tog..."

Kerstin will shortly set up a page for the first week's discussion. Let's give everyone a chance to read some, or the discussion will be somewhat disconnected.

message 17: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Unverzagt (abigaildarcy) | 45 comments Manny wrote: "Nikita wrote: "I have already started reading The Imitation of Christ and have started a Word Document to write down my thoughts so when it is time for the discussions to begin I will have my thoug..."

That is all good. Thanks for the information.

message 18: by Gerri (last edited Apr 25, 2019 08:35AM) (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 142 comments Manny wrote: "Gerri wrote: "I don't know how I missed reading The Imitation of Christ. I've always known about it, just never read it. This group-read is prodding me to get it off my to-be-read pile. I've been a..."

Hmmm, had to think a while. I believe it was Twain's book about Joan of Arc. I tried to join in on subsequent reads immediately after that one, but fell behind because of life circumstances (hurricane, husband's accident). Then my mother died, my father's Alzheimer's worsened, and my husband's health issues have increased. BUT, life is good. I praise and thank God I was able to retire and give my attention fully to helping the ones I love. Also am growing in my ability to put everything in God's hands. Not easy for control-and-fix-all-problems me!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 191 comments Hi all. I have been busy and quiet on here for awhile. (You may have been thrilled about that! Haha) I am going to try to read this with you. I have my Mom's personal copy. I read parts of it here and there over time and always loved what I had read...just seemed hard to read straight through. Looking forward to it, thanks.

message 20: by Manny (new)

Gerri wrote: "Manny wrote: "Gerri wrote: "I don't know how I missed reading The Imitation of Christ. I've always known about it, just never read it. This group-read is prodding me to get it off my to-be-read pil..."

Oh gosh, Gerri, that's a lot of hardship. You and your family will be in my prayers. I have a hard time letting go too. Heck I'm an engineer, so I'm always focused on controlling design and schedule, so that tends to translate into a attitude of trying to control everything. One just can't. God give you strength and may all your family members be in health and at peace.

message 21: by Manny (new)

Susan wrote: "Hi all. I have been busy and quiet on here for awhile. (You may have been thrilled about that! Haha) I am going to try to read this with you. I have my Mom's personal copy. I read parts of it here ..."

Oh no, we miss you Susan. Looking forward to having you read with us. :)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 5 comments Aloha,

I hope to catch up soon.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾

message 23: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1281 comments Mod
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Aloha,

I hope to catch up soon.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾"

Don’t worry, all discussion threads will remain open. Join us when you’re ready.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 360 comments Oh I love, love, love this book!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 5 comments Kerstin wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Aloha,

I hope to catch up soon.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾"

Don’t worry, all discussion threads will remain open. Join us when you’re ready."

Awesome!

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 5 comments Leslie wrote: "Oh I love, love, love this book!"

May I ask what made you love this book so much?

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 360 comments RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Oh I love, love, love this book!"

May I ask what made you love this book so much?

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾"

I don't have it in front of me now and it's been a few years since reading it, but I would take it with me to Eucharistic Adoration each day while reading it and meditate on the different thoughts. It's a great Adoration companion.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 5 comments Okay. Mahalo Leslie!

🇺🇸🐾