SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Member showcase H through M > In Bloom Not Broken - Mental Health Awareness

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Maylea | 4 comments As someone that has had a long, hard battle with mental health issues I understand that sometimes it feels that things will never get better. That you will never have a normal life and join all those other people that you just watch getting on with their lives while wondering how the hell they do it.

As someone that has battled with self-harm, anorexia, bipolar, numerous hospital admissions and a fight with the system to get the correct help I understand that this path sometimes seems impossible and you just can’t see that it will possibly get any better. It can. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time and the day will come that you will be glad that you never gave up.

I am extremely passionate about raising awareness of mental health issues and helping people to know that they are not on their own and that it is ok to speak about mental health and ask for help.

I have written a book called In Bloom Not Broken which is my own personal journey through mental illness. I wanted to write a raw, honest book with no heirs and graces to really show what it is like inside the mind of someone struggling with mental illness and so I have added many diary entries, written at the time of struggling with anorexia, depression and also bipolar mania with psychotic features.

I want to show others with this book that they are not alone in the feelings they are experiencing amd that it is possible for thinga ti change ♡

UK : https://amzn.to/2UAnMny
US: https://amzn.to/2Hsfl9P

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 443 comments Hi Katie,
I am struggling deeply with severe mental and physical illnesses and am in a very dark place right now... again. I will put your book on my list, as I am in desperate need of help. Hugs, Sam

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Maylea | 4 comments Hi Sam, I am so sorry that you are struggling atnthr moment. If you go to my website and click the happy post section, this may bs of interest to you also. Www.mentalhealthjourney.co.uk

Hang in there ♡♡♡♡

message 4: by Lorna (last edited Apr 21, 2019 04:14AM) (new)

Lorna Wilson (blackbutterflylorna) | 5 comments Hi Katie, thank you for your post. This is a very important topic. I have a similar passion as it relates to raising mental health awareness for foster care children and the traumas that some experience at the hands of abusive foster care parents. To that end, I was in four foster homes and unfortunately two out of the four were extremely abusive and this left scars, but not the ones you can see with your naked eye. Like you, I have written a book from a raw place (with no heirs or graces). It is written in poetry form and spoken word, from the perspective of a foster care child, who found it difficult to articulate what the world could not or would not hear. Today, it is used to give foster care survivors a voice. I find talking about it helps bring about healing. I give back to youth through speaking engagements and book giveaways. The title of my book is Black Butterfly: The Journey, the Victory. Maybe this might be of interest to you or Sam as well. Here is the link to Black Butterfly: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Butterfl...
Wishing you all the best with your book and your journey to mental healing!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Maylea | 4 comments Hi Lorna, Amazing - well done to you for what sounds like amazing work you do. Raising awareness and helping others find their voice is so important and I have huge respect for anyone that does their best to make a difference to others ♡♡♡♡♡

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Wilson (blackbutterflylorna) | 5 comments Katie wrote: "Hi Lorna, Amazing - well done to you for what sounds like amazing work you do. Raising awareness and helping others find their voice is so important and I have huge respect for anyone that does the..."

Hi Katie, thank you so much. I have marked your book as, "to read," I've already read the preview on Amazon and I applaud your courage to speak your truth. This is where our healing resides. I believe that with everything within me. Thank you for sharing your journey; it will help others as well!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Maylea | 4 comments I whole heartedly believe this too Lorna - speaking out is where the journey forward begins ♡ Thank you x

message 8: by Lorna (last edited Apr 21, 2019 04:50AM) (new)

Lorna Wilson (blackbutterflylorna) | 5 comments Katie wrote: "I whole heartedly believe this too Lorna - speaking out is where the journey forward begins ♡ Thank you x"

Yes, so true and you're very welcome, :-)

Best regards,
Lorna

message 9: by Dwayne, That's Dr. Cannibal To You (new)

Dwayne Fry | 560 comments Mod
Oh. I saw you had two threads going so I deleted one. Now I see this one. Only one thread per author, please. Thanks.