The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > As Time Goes By...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I agree - I have only been on GR for about 6 months, I heard about it from a lady I met at a Barnes & Noble one day. Since then I have joined about 5 groups (Probably too many, but I don't want to give any of them up) and met some really great friends from all over the world that I talk to almost daily. In fact, I find more people that I have a lot in common with (not just reading) on this site than any other way. I think I talk to my friends here more than I do my physical friends. I don't know what I would do without this site.

Thanks to whoever came up with GRs and to all my friends and group mates.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Fiona, you joined TNBBC on 8/4/2008. ;)

I agree with you both completely. I have more and better friends on here than in real life at the moment!

Wouldn't give it up for the world.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I love this site. I joined in May 2007. I'm still really new to this group, but I have been making friends at Goodreads over the more than 2 years I've been active.

I spend over 90% of my online time at Goodreads; most of the rest of the time goes to emailing/reading emails.

For years I was a volunteer at AOL leading and co-leading chats and managing the message boards in the Vegetarians Online section of their cooking club. I did that for several years and made a bunch of friends there, a couple of which I still have as friends 10-15 years later. It was the only forum at AOL I could tolerate. All the rest seemed inane to me, at least the parts I saw; I know there were some other good places there but I never found them.

Goodreads is an anomaly online; it's amazingly great!

What pains me most is that (even though I got all members of my real word book club to join and several friends have joined too) I have quite a few friends who are avid readers and just will not join Goodreads. It's a big disappointment, yet I've met so many wonderful people at the site that it's been a really terrific experience for me anyway.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10062 comments Mod
Fiona, this is a nice thread. And a nice idea too.

I joined this site over 2 years ago, and started this group up shortly after.

I spent my first few months in Bookaholics with Wes, and while I liked his setup.. I thought it was missing some stuff, so I branched out on my own and it's been an awesome ride!

While we've had our share of evil troublemakers, for the most part, the comradarie and friendly atomsphere is unbelievable. The respect and love we all have for one another still makes me smile.

I have to give a big THANKS to every single member out there. You guys and gals are the ones who keep this group going, and you're the reason so many new members continue to join.

All I do is keep us organised and keep the spammers from mucking the place up.. and even with that, I have tons of help :)

So thank you all for making TNBBC such a warm, welcoming, fun place to be!

JG (Introverted Reader) I joined GR in April 2007, but I never really messed around with the groups until about a year later. I joined TNBBC in September last year. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary!

I don't get to get on here everyday, my work hours are too long for that, but I do feel like I have more friends here than in real life. (Back to the long hours/night shift thing) And it's convenient for me to come on and catch up at any time of day! A lot of my family reads, and I do enjoy talking books with them, but somehow not very many of my friends do. It's nice to have something that's such a huge part of my life and be able to share it with other people here, who feel the same way about reading as I do.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I was just thinking about this the other day...I joined GR almost exactly a year ago and I'm pretty sure TNBBC was the first group I joined because it was the most active and diverse. It's the group I visit most often. I'm in about 12, but this one is my favorite! It's so nice to be here.
XD

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments
I joined GR-TNBBC on the same day about 2 months ago. I read a review about it online.
This is the single best thing that I have done for myself, in memory, for a very long time.
I love it here.

message 8: by JSou (new)

JSou What a great thread, Fiona! I joined Goodreads in March of last year, but didn't find TNBBC until March of this year. I'm not on any other social networking site (I don't think I could manage it with my ferocious GR addiction).

I LOVE this group. I have found so many good friends here--way more than I have in "real-life". I can't believe it's only been a little over 6 months since I joined TNBBC. I already feel like you guys are book-family!

message 9: by Eden (last edited Aug 24, 2009 05:53PM) (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 210 comments I joined goodreads in april of this year and I joined this group in may. I really love Goodreads, it's a website I visit every night while I'm online.

The other site that I have been on for the longest is Xanga. I've been on there since 2005.

JG (Introverted Reader) "Book family"--I love the phrase!

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) Eden wrote: "I joined goodreads in april of this year and I joined this group in may. I really love Goodreads, it's a website I visit every night while I'm online.

The other site that I have been on for the ..."

I've been on Xanga since 2002, but I've become bored with it in the last few years.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I joined goodreads because it is just really good. I joined about two days ago. I joined this group one day ago.

My mom made a gmail account for me two years ago, and isn't that a social networking site?

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Hi Amers! Welcome to the club!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments There are some social networking aspects to gmail, but basically it is just an email account with a lot of odd and interesting side features. I used to join gmail groups, but for my interests, the groups weren't all that active or interesting. Not like TNNBBC, anyway. Hope you enjoy your time here!