The Banished Lands and The Bloodsworn discussion

Individual Book > Valour

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Gwynne (willjrgwynne) | 492 comments Mod
A group to discuss all thoughts on Valour by John Gwynne.

Natulcien_reads | 5 comments I just bought the other three books in the series and when I want to add Valour to my TBR-books-I-own shelf here on GR it showed the title as 'Valor'. What's the difference between these two editions? American and British? (Not that it's important, I'm just curious :-) )

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael | 67 comments Natulcien_reads wrote: "I just bought the other three books in the series and when I want to add Valour to my TBR-books-I-own shelf here on GR it showed the title as 'Valor'. What's the difference between these two editio..."

I would imagine that it is the US version as they drop the U from Valour. I hope you enjoy them, they're great books.

message 4: by William (new)

Natulcien_reads wrote: "I just bought the other three books in the series and when I want to add Valour to my TBR-books-I-own shelf here on GR it showed the title as 'Valor'. What's the difference between these two editio..."

Michael is right. The American translation of Valour is Valor, as they drop the U :).

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (gracelingaccountant) | 25 comments

I love this picture I took...I have the UK covers and I happened to read this series right in the middle of fall 😍

message 6: by William (new)

Kayla wrote: "

I love this picture I took...I have the UK covers and I happened to read this series right in the middle of fall 😍"

Quite a suitable thing for Valour as well! The Fall....

message 7: by William (new)

Kayla wrote: "

I love this picture I took...I have the UK covers and I happened to read this series right in the middle of fall 😍"

Great picture :)

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (gracelingaccountant) | 25 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Kayla wrote: "

Quite a suitable thing for Valour as well! The Fall...."

TRUE

message 9: by Aram (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments Just finished Valor a few minutes ago - I could not put it down. I didn't expect to finish for another few days! Just bought Ruin - loaded on my Kindle... And for such a complex story w/ so many characters and kingdoms/realms, things sure did move fast and easy - just the way I like it.... cool too that Ruin starts with a Cast of Characters section - now w/ 2 books under my belt, I recognize all of the names and places - found my footing... feeling strong!

message 10: by William (new)

Aram wrote: "Just finished Valor a few minutes ago - I could not put it down. I didn't expect to finish for another few days! Just bought Ruin - loaded on my Kindle... And for such a complex story w/ so many ch..."

So you loved then! The pace gets faster and faster now. The journey of heroism and tragedy continues.... Good luck!

message 11: by William (new)

Aram wrote: "Just finished Valor a few minutes ago - I could not put it down. I didn't expect to finish for another few days! Just bought Ruin - loaded on my Kindle... And for such a complex story w/ so many ch..."

Any favourite character so far?

message 12: by Aram (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments My favorites so far are Craf & Fech, Corban & Coralen, Cywen & Veradis & Alcyon, obviously Maquin & Orgull, Gar & Tukul, Brina & Heb, Storm & Shield, Camlin of course - and then there's a few I am hoping get what's coming to them...

message 13: by William (new)

Aram wrote: "My favorites so far are Craf & Fech, Corban & Coralen, Cywen & Veradis & Alcyon, obviously Maquin & Orgull, Gar & Tukul, Brina & Heb, Storm & Shield, Camlin of course - and then there's a few I am ..."

Hahah it is very hard to pick one! They are all some of my favourites as well. Maquin above the rest for me though :)

Hope you enjoy Ruin!

message 14: by Aram (last edited Aug 23, 2019 09:50AM) (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments yeah the "old wolf" has had a rough ride so far -- I see now you had favourite character in the singular -- so if I had to pick one I would pick Corban (because that would be me - lol)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael | 67 comments Aram wrote: "My favorites so far are Craf & Fech, Corban & Coralen, Cywen & Veradis & Alcyon, obviously Maquin & Orgull, Gar & Tukul, Brina & Heb, Storm & Shield, Camlin of course - and then there's a few I am ..."

Hi Aram, glad you liked so many of the characters. I found it hard to pick just one as my favourite but Maquin and Alcyon are quite high up my list. I won't mention any others in case it spoils Ruin and Wrath for you.

message 16: by Aram (last edited Aug 24, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments Thanks Michael - I am really starting to like Alcyon more and more - high hopes - great fun

message 17: by Aram (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments Starting to see more and more why you love Maquin

message 18: by William (new)

Aram wrote: "Starting to see more and more why you love Maquin"

There is a lot to go to increase that :)

message 19: by Aram (new)

Aram Brazilian (abrazilian) | 20 comments I am very glad to hear that - because you just never know when your time is up....

message 20: by William (new)

Aram wrote: "I am very glad to hear that - because you just never know when your time is up...."

Well, Gwynne is VERY brutal with his cast...

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 67 comments I think that's part of what makes him so much more readable than other authors; he's not afraid to kill main characters.

message 22: by William (new)

Michael wrote: "I think that's part of what makes him so much more readable than other authors; he's not afraid to kill main characters."

No one is safe!

message 23: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 5 comments I did it! It took me a month, but I finished Valour and wow, it was an intense ride!! I'm very curious about the next one, but I'm going to read a few books in between to digest this one fully!

message 24: by William (new)

Natulcien_reads wrote: "I did it! It took me a month, but I finished Valour and wow, it was an intense ride!! I'm very curious about the next one, but I'm going to read a few books in between to digest this one fully!"

Great to hear! Any favourite PoV of Valour?
TRUTH AND COURAGE

message 25: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 5 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Natulcien_reads wrote: "I did it! It took me a month, but I finished Valour and wow, it was an intense ride!! I'm very curious about the next one, but I'm going to read a few books in between to di..."

I really enjoyed the POVs of Corban, Coralen, Cywen, Veradis, Maquin, Camlin. I'm curious to see how many of these POVs (or side characters for that matter) will still be there at the end of Wrath :-/

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments So I've finished my reading scrapbook page on Valour.

You can see more of my reading scrapbook on my Instagram @green_wonderland_home

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (goodreadscomrumbelle517) | 2 comments Hannah wrote: "So I've finished my reading scrapbook page on Valour.
love this!

You can see more of my reading scrapbook on my Instagram @green_wonderland_home"

message 28: by William (new)

Hannah wrote: "So I've finished my reading scrapbook page on Valour.

Saw this on Instagram. It is just brilliant! You've captured so much of Valour.

TRUTH AND COURAGE

You can see more of my reading scrapbook on my Instagram @green_wonderland_home"

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments Jackie wrote: "Hannah wrote: "So I've finished my reading scrapbook page on Valour.
love this!

Thanks Jackie!

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Hannah wrote: "So I've finished my reading scrapbook page on Valour.

Saw this on Instagram. It is just brilliant! You've captured so much of Valour.

TRUTH AND COURAGE

Thank you Will!!

You can see more of my ..."

message 31: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Finnie | 5 comments Been re-listening to this again recently and I cant believe I never realised what an amazing character Orgull was before!

message 32: by William (new)

Cameron wrote: "Been re-listening to this again recently and I cant believe I never realised what an amazing character Orgull was before!"

Orgull is one of those side characters who I just adored! The equivalent of Tull. Enjoying the audiobook?

message 33: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Finnie | 5 comments I'm loving the audiobooks, read them in physical copy first time but I love the narrator in the audiobooks too :) Got a couple of audible credits for the last two haha.

message 34: by William (new)

Cameron wrote: "I'm loving the audiobooks, read them in physical copy first time but I love the narrator in the audiobooks too :) Got a couple of audible credits for the last two haha."

Damien Lynch is great! TRUTH AND COURAGE

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna Bull | 15 comments Finished Valour the other night and my goodness, what a journey! Everyone's storyline is just so good, but I think my favorite of the book has to be Maquin. To continue to persevere and the pit fighting scenes are so brutally well done. When the poll was put up the other day about which villain is the worst I was not too a certain part and didn't get all the Lykos hate, now I get it!! Definitely in agreement with everyone on Lykos being the worst!! That ending though, holy moly feels and tears. Heading into Ruin, a title that is not giving me lots of confidence my people are gonna be okay........yikes.

message 36: by William (new)

Donna wrote: "Finished Valour the other night and my goodness, what a journey! Everyone's storyline is just so good, but I think my favorite of the book has to be Maquin. To continue to persevere and the pit fig..."

So glad you enjoyed! Maquin is my absolute favourite. I just love his entire arc. Ruin does not bode well... and I'm sorry to say it... but the gloom of the title is delivered... Truth and Courage!