Old Books, New Readers discussion

Start Here > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited May 22, 2020 10:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments This thread is dedicated to YOU guys!
As Mods we want to know any recommendations or concerns you have.

Comment below if you would like us to dedicate more time to buddy reads, challenges or anything else for you guys to enjoy.

Also feel free to recommend any books to other members.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ I just finished The Silent Patient in record time as I could not put it down. I just want to recommend it.

message 3: by tabascosauce (last edited Apr 26, 2019 02:11PM) (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 65 comments Mod
I'd love to do more challenges! And I'd recommend a book I just finished - Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. It is one of the sweetest books I've ever read! :)

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ twice_baked✌️ wrote: "I'd love to do more challenges! And I'd recommend a book I just finished - Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. It is one of the sweetest books I've ever read! :)"

Yes, I keep meaning to read that one as it sounds very good. I should request it right now while I am thinking about it.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Hammer | 31 comments Hi, I'm new here so my apologies if this book has already been discussed. I am re-reading Wuthering Heights and I'd enjoy discussing it with other readers. I'm looking forward to Rebecca! :-)

message 6: by Jude (new)

Jude Lester I recently finished The Great Gatsby and I would recommend it to all readers. I am currently reading War and Peace, which is also a good book, however, is very confusing. I would say both are equally as interesting to read.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Hammer | 31 comments I agree, Rowena. The Great Gatsby was a wonderful read. I've read War and Peace and I will confess I only got through it by using a cheat sheet to keep track btw - the combined short stories of F. Scott and Zelda as well as Zelda's "Save Me The Waltz" are worthwhile reads as well. !

message 8: by Jazzy (last edited May 13, 2019 09:16AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 231 comments War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
is my second favourite book of all time! I have the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation as a Penguin clothbound classic.

The most breathtaking ride on a winter's night while stars glitter overhead with Boris and Natasha will forever be etched in my memory, and just as Petya rides pellmell down the hillside I got a message saying a dear friend had died, and left Petya there for a couple of weeks until I could compose myself to continue on the journey.

I think it far outshines The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald, although that is a great book, and there are many different and tantalising covers to choose from.

Mine looks like this:

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Hammer | 31 comments That's interesting how you compare the two. I've never viewed them in quite that way given they are so distinctly different. It's an intriguing viewpoint. Have you ever read Dr. Zhivago?

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (teew) I just finished and reviewed “Z: A Novel Of Zelda Fitzgerald,” I think this is a wonderful and well-researched novel.

message 11: by Jazzy (last edited May 20, 2019 10:38AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 231 comments I have read Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak some time ago, but can't remember the translator.
My newer copy is a translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky as well. I have bought it to read sometime this year.
Doctor Zhivago

My battered little paperback book of poems by Pasternak is one of my treasures.
Selected Poems

A Dream

I dreamt of autumn in the window’s twilight,
And you, a tipsy jesters’ throng amidst.
And like a falcon, having stooped to slaughter,
My heart returned to settle on your wrist.

But time went on, grew old and deaf. Like thawing
Soft ice old silk decayed on easy chairs.
A bloated sunset from the garden painted
The glass with bloody red September tears.

But time grew old and deaf. And you, the loud one,
Quite suddenly were still. This broke a spell.
The dreaming ceased at once, as though in answer
To an abruptly silenced bell.

And I awakened. Dismal as the autumn
The dawn was dark. A stronger wind arose
To chase the racing birch trees on the skyline,
As from a running cart the streams of straws.

A blog post I compiled on the 56th anniversary of the day Boris Pasternak rejected the Nobel Prize due to pressure from the Soviet government.
https://freekindlebooksoftheday.wordp...

message 12: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 231 comments Here is a great article in the Paris Review on Pevear & Volokhonsky
https://www.theparisreview.org/interv...

message 13: by Richard (new)

Richard Cadot (richardcadot) | 10 comments I have a suggestion to make...

Monthly Group Reads are great but I mostly use the nominations (usually the book of the month is decided with a poll in many groups) as reading suggestions. I do like to discuss my readings too, so...

What if we first create bookshelves of classics; they could be divided by time period, by prize winning or by country fr example, while not being mutually exclusive (ex: a book within the, say, "American literature" bookshelf could still be in the "19th century era" bookshelf as well).

Then, what if there were threads for each book without spoilers?

The point being that there are SO MANY classics to read and those bookshelves and thread comments could help members make more enlightened choices.

I am new in this group and as an active goodreads member. Maybe there are bookshelves in this group that I just haven't seen yet but then, I think it would be a good idea to make those bookshelves stand out...

Am I making any sense? Do those ideas appeal to anyone?

message 14: by tabascosauce (new)

~☆~Autumn♥♥ wrote: "twice_baked✌️ wrote: "I'd love to do more challenges! And I'd recommend a book I just finished - Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. It is one of the sweetest books I've ever read! :)"

Y..."

I'd highly recommend! ;)

Richard wrote: "I have a suggestion to make...

Monthly Group Reads are great but I mostly use the nominations (usually the book of the month is decided with a poll in many groups) as reading suggestions. I do lik..."

It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure how this is supposed to help people make better botm decisions, if that's the purpose.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard Cadot (richardcadot) | 10 comments twice_baked✌️ wrote: "It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure how this is supposed to help people make better botm decisions, if that's the purpose."

My idea wasn't to help make better botm decisions but to make this group more versatile in its offerings. Instead of a listopia that shows all the ratings and comments of everybody who read it on goodreads, the comments would thus be first limited to this group who enjoys "old books" and who can be engaged in conversations about their reading experience of the book they commented on.

Reading hefty books is a big time commitment and before embarking on a long read, I'd might like to discuss it with others...

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Manytravels (mountainhighonbooks) | 45 comments I liked “Twice Baked” (Richard’s) idea. At first, I sort of recoil at having to read something as if it were an assignment once a book is selected, but it is the book and the sharing of thoughts about it that is the main thing. And, anyway, if I have read the book before, I need to remember that “you never read the same book twice” because each time you read it, you see different things and are yourself a different person than when you first read it. The books I’ve read two or more times all convince me of that.

message 17: by tabascosauce (new)

Richard wrote: "twice_baked✌️ wrote: "It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure how this is supposed to help people make better botm decisions, if that's the purpose."

My idea wasn't to help make better botm decisio..."

Yeah, sounds good. At this point ig you'd just need other people on board, maybe get some feedback.

message 18: by Laken (new)

Laken (hufflepuff-booknerd) Just finished “The Woman in the Window” and can I just say omg?! Highly recommend it if you like twists and turns and surprise endings. Takes a while to get into it and it is on the long side but it’s so worth it! Best book I’ve read in a long while!

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ Laken wrote: "Just finished “The Woman in the Window” and can I just say omg?! Highly recommend it if you like twists and turns and surprise endings. Takes a while to get into it and it is on the long side but i..."

I also liked it. Since you like it so much you will probably like The Silent Patient and An Anonymous Girl!!

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (teew) Thanks Laken for the recommendation!

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Laken wrote: "Just finished “The Woman in the Window” and can I just say omg?! Highly recommend it if you like twists and turns and surprise endings. Takes a while to get into it and it is on the long side but i..."

I started this a month or so ago and hardly made a dent in it. After hearing it takes a while to get going, I may revisit the novel. Thank you!

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (teew) Who is the author. Of Wiman in the Window? There are several titles.

message 23: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 07, 2019 07:48PM) (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Tom wrote: "Who is the author. Of Wiman in the Window? There are several titles."

I double checked with Laken's read shelf to be sure.
It's the one by A.J. Finn.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom Walsh (teew) Thank you

message 25: by Laken (new)

Laken (hufflepuff-booknerd) Thanks Autumn for the recommendations!

message 26: by tabascosauce (new)

Laken wrote: "Just finished “The Woman in the Window” and can I just say omg?! Highly recommend it if you like twists and turns and surprise endings. Takes a while to get into it and it is on the long side but i..."

Ooh I've been looking for a book that has really good plot twists - I'll check this one out, tyyy!

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 47 comments I want to nominate a book for August but don't see where to comment on post am I missing something

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Connie wrote: "I want to nominate a book for August but don't see where to comment on post am I missing something"

I will be unlocking the nominations thread on Tuesday with a broadcast message to all members about the theme.

message 29: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (flying_high) I want to recommend 'The Green Ember' series by SD Smith...though aimed at a younger crowd, as a firm Tolkien fan, I can say it's worth it! Plenty of battles, a lot of action, mystery, suspense; it is one of the most thrilling and gripping series I've ever come across.

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Abbie wrote: "I want to recommend 'The Green Ember' series by SD Smith...though aimed at a younger crowd, as a firm Tolkien fan, I can say it's worth it! Plenty of battles, a lot of action, mystery, suspense; it..."

I have heard fantastic things about this series!

message 31: by Isaac (last edited Feb 07, 2020 10:37AM) (new)

Isaac Toit (isaac_du_toit) X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel

This is a great children's book it's sad not many people have heard of it.

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Peterson | 7 comments Hi! A couple of years ago I participated in a read along here for the book of the month, which was Anna Karenina. I really loved the fact that the book was divided up on a reading schedule and there was a discussion post for each section (8 total over two months). I loved talking about the book while we were reading it and I’ve been looking for the same kind of situation again, but it seems like mostly there is only one discussion thread per book. Would it be possible to bring back the Anna Karenina format, or do you have any suggestions for where I could go to find something like it?

message 33: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 114 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi! A couple of years ago I participated in a read along here for the book of the month, which was Anna Karenina. I really loved the fact that the book was divided up on a reading schedule and ther..."

I enjoy that style too. That way you can pick the thread that matches your reading speed and not worry as much about spoilers. Each moderator sets up the BOTM threads differently. I'll be moderating in June and will definitely create a reading schedule for the month and a few different discussion threads in just this way.

message 34: by tabascosauce (new)

Isaac wrote: "X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel

This is a great children's book it's sad not many people have heard of it."

ooh I'll have to check it out! I love reading books that aren't well-known.

message 35: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Toit (isaac_du_toit) It's a great book! I really enjoyed it.

twice_baked✌️ wrote: "Isaac wrote: "X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel X Marks The Spot by Joan de Hamel

This is a great children's book it's sad not many people have heard of it."

oo..."