Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Favourite Artists Track 407, The Alan Parsons Project - nominated by Spacepig, Voting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Thanks to the Duke for stepping in last week while I was off getting my head mashed. I will never know how, but I made it back relatively unscathed, so on we go.

The Alan Parsons Project - one of the bands I used to listen to during my early days of herbal experimentation. I really only re-discovered them about a year back when I picked up a few of their remastered early releases, and they sound just as good now as they did then.

12 albums I think to choose from, noms close 10 pm Sunday, and don't forget your link. I might be here at that time, but on the other hand I might be up in Limerick watching the likes of Ahab at the Siege of Limerick, let's see what the weekend brings.

message 2: by theDuke (last edited Apr 19, 2019 06:19PM) (new)

theDuke | 5575 comments Heya Spacepig, hope you had a great time mate.

I'll kick this off then, with this obvious choice:

I Robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJA7...

message 3: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Duke

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvFbBR...

message 4: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments oh, jeebus h, bring back boney m! you don't want to know what i think the obvious choice is! i'll mibbe put a nomination in later.......when the anti-nausea medication kicks in!

message 5: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13414 comments After Lez

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuUj...

message 6: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik3nm...

message 7: by Tim (last edited Apr 25, 2019 09:26AM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 8299 comments After Brass

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuGXpFQ...

Link edited for Helen and anyone else who can't use playlists! I honestly have no idea how the other one got there 😛

message 8: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 774 comments After Tim

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free
Some Other Time

https://youtu.be/tW2e4tpOBGA

message 9: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments After Jemma:

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free
Some Other Time
Games People Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lrn...

message 10: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments efterspace,

it's short!

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free
Some Other Time
Games People Play
Sirius

https://youtu.be/feoHV5JUbuo

message 11: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Well, despite Tim's attempt to sneak in the Game of Thrones, and techy's inane and irrelevant insults and protestations, we reached eight noms giving us the three pointer again.

Back to normal for me, meaning voting closes 10 pm on Thursday evening, no late votes counted.

Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

And the noms:

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me
Mr. Time
Fall Free
Some Other Time
Games People Play
Sirius

Enjoy the week, while I try and get myself back to normality.

message 12: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Normality's not a word I associate with you Space! 😀

message 13: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 774 comments Kicking off then ... 😎

Don’t - 3
Games - 2
Fall - 1

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me - 3
Mr. Time
Fall Free - 1
Some Other Time
Games People Play - 2
Sirius

message 14: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5575 comments My knowledge of APP was limited to Sirius and my nom...but quite enjoyed listening to some new to me songs.

After Jemma:

A Dream - 3
Mr. Time - 2
Sirius - 1

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me - 3
Mr. Time - 2
Fall Free - 1
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 3
Some Other Time
Games People Play - 2
Sirius - 1

message 15: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13414 comments After Duke

Don’t Answer Me - 3
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 2
Games People Play - 1

I Robot
Don’t Answer Me - 6
Mr. Time - 2
Fall Free - 1
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 5
Some Other Time
Games People Play - 3
Sirius - 1

message 16: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments After Val

A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 3
Mr. Time - 2
I Robot- 1

I Robot - 1
Don’t Answer Me - 6
Mr. Time - 4
Fall Free - 1
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 8
Some Other Time
Games People Play - 3
Sirius - 1

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8299 comments After Space

I Robot - 3
Mr Time - 2
Sirius - 1

I Robot - 4
Don’t Answer Me - 6
Mr. Time - 6
Fall Free - 1
A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven - 8
Some Other Time
Games People Play - 3
Sirius - 2

message 18: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Five voters only then out of eight noms, looks like some of us just couldn't be bothered then?

Never mind, we do have a clear winner and this week it's Tim with the Poe inspired, A Dream Within A Dream/The Raven. Second place is shared between Lez and Val with Don’t Answer Me and Mr Time, and we have a bronze for the Duke with I Robot.

A good playlist despite the apathy, maybe the best thing to do is move quickly on and see if anyone has any enthusiasm left for the next artist. Thanks to those who did take part and especially to those who voted.

message 19: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I'm so sorry, I honestly thought I'd voted :-(

message 20: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 859 comments I didn't nom, did listen, but wasn't particularly inspired.

message 21: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 4775 comments Sorry Space, been away otherwise I'd have joined in. The winner would have got maximum points from me anyway.

message 22: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments no excuse, just couldn't bring myself to listen to it!

message 23: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Fishy_Jim wrote: "I didn't nom, did listen, but wasn't particularly inspired."

Did you really just say that? You mean you listened to the playlist, then thought, 'That's not particularly inspiring, I don't think I'll bother voting'.

In a forum such as this, is there any way possible to be more insulting or dismissive of any post? To be perfectly honest, I find techy's reasons for not voting far more acceptable. If you don't like it, say so then stay away. But to say you listened to the playlist then just couldn't be arsed to vote because it wasn't 'particularly inspiring' is beneath contempt,

Do you honestly think I found it particularly inspiring hosting threads about Kristeen Young or North Sea Radio Orchestra? Do you think I feel inspired to host an upcoming one about Speedy Ortiz?

Etiquette means a lot on the internet young Jim, and it is something you have much to learn about.

message 24: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5575 comments I quite enjoyed this round, myself!

message 25: by Fishy_Jim (last edited Apr 28, 2019 01:55AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 859 comments Spacepig wrote: "Fishy_Jim wrote: "I didn't nom, did listen, but wasn't particularly inspired."

Did you really just say that? You mean you listened to the playlist, then thought, 'That's not particularly inspiring..."

I didn't say I didn't like the music. Maybe in a different mood I may have given some votes. At the time I wasn't sufficiently moved that I felt inclined to vote for any of the tracks. I've had much worse said about my noms in the past, and the fact that there were so few votes cast suggests that other people felt the same or didn't even get round to voting, which is a bit disappointing for the nominator, but it happens on this thread. So I don't think it's fair for you to single me out just because I said it.
If you want, you can remove Speedy Ortiz from the list if it offends you so much and I won't trouble anyone with my horrendous alt rock or prog noms any more (in fact, don't bother, I'll do it myself). I'm sure Tech will be relieved. And he seems to be able to slag off any of those kinds of noms with apparent impunity.
Double standards, much?

message 26: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments How about we all put our handbags down, try not to post negatively/dismissively unless obviously trying to be humorous (not always successfully)? Escalation is afoot and keyboard war never ends well.

message 27: by Collette (last edited Apr 28, 2019 05:57AM) (new)

Collette | 4163 comments Brass Neck wrote: "How about we all put our handbags down, try not to post negatively/dismissively unless obviously trying to be humorous (not always successfully)? Escalation is afoot and keyboard war never ends well."

You'd better remember that one when it comes to my Poison nom, Mr B!! 😬

message 28: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments You're fair game on any day ending in y sweetcheeks!

message 29: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments Be prepared for my cyber clutchbag across your bonce, then. 😘

message 30: by Lez (last edited Apr 28, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Brass Neck wrote: "How about we all put our handbags down, try not to post negatively/dismissively unless obviously trying to be humorous (not always successfully)? Escalation is afoot and keyboard war never ends well."

👍
We all know each other's quirks and foibles by now. No need to fall out.

message 31: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14505 comments I wasn't going to say anything and risk adding anymore to this - but it has been playing on my Mind all day long now and so I will.

To be absolutely honest and completely fair someone simply saying that they weren't "particularly inspired" by a Playlist is hardly really any kind of an insult? I mean, let's face it, pretty much everyone has all said so many far worse things on these Threads and that has often also included the personal opinions of the OP's who kindly open up and close down the Threads to Nominations and Voting.

I'm obviously very sorry that Spacepig feels like this - but I'm also equally sorry that Fishy_Jim was singled out in response to his Post and has now chosen to withdraw all of his future nominations as a result. I know that I don't contribute to this part of the Forum too often but I do hope that Fishy_Jim will agree to come back again and give us another go.

message 32: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments Well said, Suzy. I was sorely tempted to say something myself earlier. Hopefully Fishy Jim hasn't went "bugger that" and ran for the hills.

message 33: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments And yet, the more folk post, whatever their intentions, the more intense the whole shebang becomes. Just let it lie …… or poke harder at the sensitive spot; whatever floats yer boat.

message 34: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Just a few words then I will let it go, I have no desire for this little dispute to get out of hand.

First off, I would have reacted the same no matter what or who's nom was the subject here. The thing that bothered me more than anything was the dismissive nature of the post. We all come across artists we don't like in here, it's what helps to keep the thread going, trying out something different. And we are free to say whether or not we like them if we so choose. The stage we are at now, with so many artists already nommed, a lot of thought is going into what does get nommed. To have any artist dismissed in such a flippant tone, to me anyway, shows a total lack of respect, you are free to disagree. It really would have been better if rather than posting only to say they not particularly inspiring, if nothing had been said at all.
As for being singled out - not in the slightest, plenty others in the past have been on the receiving end of one of my rants. The big difference between Jim and Techy is, Techy hates everything, but he usually gives it a go, doesn't just dismiss them completely, and he makes it clear exactly why he hates most music :-)

No hard feelings anywhere though on my part, who will be next on my rant list?

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8299 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Me, oh let it be me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXT_I..."

Think you had your turn with that guy (sorry, I don't remember his name) who made some records with Susanna Hoffs. For some reason you didn't nom your own artist, and Space noticed that. Oh yes!!! 😂😂😂

message 37: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5575 comments Jim's removed his lastest nom off Theme's as well. :(

I hope we've not lost another participant.

message 38: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments my lugs are burnin'!

start stopping, stop starting! it ain't worth falling out over the nicholas parsons project, now is it?

message 39: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments "my lugs are burnin'!" - Burning (Sp)ears?

message 40: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments oh, luggy luggy boooom!

message 41: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14505 comments "oh, luggy luggy boooom! by Burntney Sp Ears" .. ?

Hmmm? - I'd probably buy that CD! ;o>

message 42: by Brass Neck (last edited Apr 29, 2019 05:39AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: ""oh, luggy luggy boooom! by Burntney Sp Ears" .. ?

Hmmm? - I'd probably buy that CD! ;o>"

Available on wax cylinders (freshly excavated and still warm from Tech's lug'oles) only suzy.

message 43: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments enough wax left over for the cover version by ear of destiny!

message 44: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments "I'm sure Tech will be relieved"

no, no he won't be, jim, he'll be pretty sad you've chosen to bail, and he sincerely hopes you will reverse your decision!

i am sure we can attribute everything to spacepig having a bad period!

message 45: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments OK, sorry for anyone that I upset, put it down to post Roadburn blues.

I think the thing that grated the most was the manner of the dismissal of my nom, when several times recently we have gone out of our way to accommodate Jim's late noms, including in his own round.

I have no wish for anyone to be put in the position where they feel it best they withdraw from anywhere, but at the same time, I won't go pleading with anyone after they take the hump.

message 46: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14505 comments I think maybe you misread what Jim was saying, Spacepig? He was explaining that he had actually taken the time to listen to the Playlist but that it wasn't particularly inspiring him enough to be able to offer up a Nomination or to try to Vote on anything. He was just saying it wasn't his kind of thing and not trying to be difficult or rude in any way.

As one of our original and main Forum Playlist Creators, you told him that you don't feel inspired in return to want to set up any of his future Nominations - and that is the reason why he has chosen to withdraw them and has decided to leave the Forum.

I really wish that we could sort this out and find a way forward?

message 47: by Fishy_Jim (last edited May 09, 2019 06:59AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 859 comments I have taken this time to cool down and assess things. I am grateful to the ladies on the forum who sent PMs of support. I will say the following and if Spacepig can accept it we can move on:
It is ironic that I only made that post because Spacepig was a bit miffed that there were so few votes and I wanted to assure him I had taken the time to listen, as Suzy has surmised. There was no malice or dismissiveness intended.
Though you may protest otherwise, Spacepig, I would suggest that it being your nom did have a little to do with your response - so I may have huffed, but you huffed first.
I would also suggest that if you're going to diss someone else's noms in 'retaliation' in future, it might be best not to pick one that is a favourite act of another forum member (I nominated NSRO for Lez as I knew she liked them).
So are we good? Or do I stay away?

message 48: by Brass Neck (last edited May 09, 2019 07:41AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments "So are we good? Or do I stay away?" - we're all good here, we just have infrequent and usually small-scale lapses of courtesy, whether intended or accidental. Your (or any other poster's) presence on zon exiles should not depend on the outcome of a blame-game inquiry or anyone else's permission which your post seems to hang on. You're here, you contribute and make the forum a better place as do we all, lapses aside. Stay if you find a greater benefit to doing so, leave if you don't but don't make it hinge on another poster's response which may or may not be forthcoming. Things are too easily said and possibly misconstrued on t'interweb but the lack of personal contact produces responses that can lack the common courtesy most of us would show to others in a face to face encounter. Just ask Danny Baker, the totally insensitive idiot.

message 49: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6297 comments of course you're good - not as good as me, but pretty damn good nonetheless!
i second the above - just be back!

message 50: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5575 comments ^Wot he said!^

« previous 1