2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)
This topic is about A Child Called "It"
A child called it by Dave Pelzer

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (last edited Apr 22, 2019 10:09AM) (new)

Lara Montoya (lariitaa_mg) | 14 comments A child called it by Dave Pelzer.

Reviewed by Lara Montoya Gonzalez

An autobiography of David, a little child that was extremely abused by his mom. The book starts with he narrating the happy life of his family before everything started. Later, his dad started a new job that took a lot of his time and his mom started feeling alone and drinking to avoid all this loneliness, also started blaming and punishing David. The abuse of his mom evolutionists so fast over time she becomes a threatened for David’s life. He was forced to wear the same clothes every single day, so at school kids started bullying him because of his bad smell. He became the slave of the family. His dad didn’t know what was going on, and when he found out he tried to help him, but his mom had the control over everything. He was never fed so he stole food from others, nobody knew why his mum hid it for so long, and he never said anything. The only thing that made him survive was the control he had on his mind.

I would totally recommend it to everyone. The hard life this boy had and how he survived and kept on although all the bad circumstances is just admirable. As a teenager, I complain about things so often and think about all the things I don’t have, and other people do. Reading this book opened my eyes and now I can also see all the things I have, and other people don’t and how lucky I am for having a family that loves me and that’s been always there supporting and encouraging me. This book teaches you a lot of good things and makes you really feel lucky and open your eyes about reality and how important is to know how to control your mind and keep looking forward although all the bad circumstances, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and a solution for every problem and this story totally proves that.

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy  alexander (TimeZone117) | 8 comments Sounds like an interesting book but it also sound like it has some very deep emotional value to it because at the beginning of your paragraph it says this child was abused by his own parents which to me in my opinion that's very deep.

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara Montoya (lariitaa_mg) | 14 comments Jeremy wrote: "Sounds like an interesting book but it also sound like it has some very deep emotional value to it because at the beginning of your paragraph it says this child was abused by his own parents which ..."
It is really deep, intense and also frustrating sometimes, since the book doesn't give any reasons why his mum abused of him.

message 4: by Ainara (new)

Ainara | 13 comments This books sounds like it shows the reality of many children around the world and how they have a hard life, definitely a book with deep and intense emotions and events, I am very sensible and for me reading this type of stories is hard but I would definitely give it a try and read it.

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara Montoya (lariitaa_mg) | 14 comments Ainara wrote: "This books sounds like it shows the reality of many children around the world and how they have a hard life, definitely a book with deep and intense emotions and events, I am very sensible and for ..."
It is a hard book, makes you valuate and appreciate your people and think about all the inequalities and in the struggle some people live everyday

message 6: by Iris (new)

Iris | 11 comments This book has a deep beginning and a lot of circumstances that that can help you to see how people live in this world.
i like your summary, the way you compare yourself with the story, that help me to say that i have a beautiful life. ;)

message 7: by David (new)

David Carr (AGuyThatDoesntLikeBooks) | 9 comments this book is truly sad, I have read it my self as it related to me and my childhood, I very much like your review you really nail the main aspect shortly making it worth reading, if any one ever in my life asks me about this book ill send them straight to this review!

message 8: by Hector (new)

Hector (hecctorm) | 8 comments This sounds really sad, this is my first time hearing about this specific book and since its an autobiography I may look into it more.

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara Montoya (lariitaa_mg) | 14 comments Iris wrote: "This book has a deep beginning and a lot of circumstances that that can help you to see how people live in this world.
i like your summary, the way you compare yourself with the story, that help me..."

I truly recommend it to everyone, it makes you appreciate the little things. Thanks! :)