2022 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain
This topic is about Heavier Than Heaven
Heavier Than Heaven by Charles R. Cross

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mason (new) - added it

Mason Anderson | 6 comments In the late 80’s, Seattle had one of the biggest music scenes ever. There was tons of talent and bands creating new music styles. One hundred miles away from Seattle was Aberdeen Washington, Where Kurt Cobain was growing up. He loved to play guitar and his only aspiration in life was to do so. After a rough divorce with his parents he had gone off the rails and was soon abusing Marijuana and Alcohol daily. He still had a love for playing guitar and through other friends met bassist Krist Novoselic and drummer Dave Foster. They started a band in 1987. They worked extremely hard and were a part of the 90’s grunge movement and were a massive influence on pretty much all genres to come since then.

The story starts off when Kurt was born and when his parents got a divorce and how this affected him strongly. To me this was an amazing part of the book, because a lot of us have had the same struggles he had growing up. Which (in my opinion) is why Kurt was such an amazing person. Because he didn’t portrait himself as some sort of rock god, he was just a normal guy. Because of his parents’ divorce however, he started to abuse alcohol from a young age and marijuana which almost fermented his later abuse in harder drugs like heroin and LSD which ultimately lead to his death on April 5th of 1994. However, this was not the end of his legacy, as he still has a massive impact on the music scene. And people have cited him as influences everywhere from Rock and Metal, To hip-hop and rap.

message 2: by Finn (new)

Finn | 7 comments I'm somehow not surprised that you read a book about Kurt Cobain, looks dope as i don't really know that much about the history of the band

message 3: by Mason (new) - added it

Mason Anderson | 6 comments Finn wrote: "I'm somehow not surprised that you read a book about Kurt Cobain, looks dope as i don't really know that much about the history of the band"

Thanks dawg, appreciate it. Definitely should check it out.