Great American Read List discussion

Archive > I Got a Puppy!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
I've been researching breeds, visiting Humane Societies and rescues as well as pet stores (to see different breeds in person), looking through numerous rescue/adoption dog profiles, and speaking with breeders for a few weeks.

Yesterday, I drove about fourteen hours to get my puppy—a 12-week-old blue weimaraner. Mitzi is everything I hoped for and more. She's friendly, energetic, and absolutely stunning. Last night (her first night home), after settling down, she slept through the night in her crate without any accidents. I'm going to trim her nails today, give her a bath, focus on housebreaking, and give her lots of attention. She has an appointment with my veterinarian in the morning (praying she's as healthy as she seems).

For the foreseeable future, all of my free time will be acclimating her to her new home, training, and socializing her, and of course—enjoying her. Andrew will run the group however he would like. He may continue with random generator selection polls or do polls with selections nominated by members. He may decide not to have group reads, but encourage members to track their Great American Read list books on their personal bookshelves instead. However he runs our group, I have complete confidence that he'll do a great job.

Andrew—thank you for everything you've done and will do. I appreciate it!

message 2: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 200 comments Mod
I'm so excited for you! and congratulate Mitzi on finding her forever home.

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments Awww! Yay puppy! Congratulations!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Albright | 14 comments Congrats!

message 5: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
Lavan wrote: "Andrew will run the group however he would like. He may continue with random generator selection polls or do polls with selections nominated by members. "

I saw this thread earlier, but didn't look at it too closely, so I didn't notice my name being mentioned, otherwise I would have responded sooner. I haven't been checking the group too often, since I finished The Help early and I'm not reading the V. C. Andrews books. Anyway, I'll put together a poll for a standalone group read for May soon, and post it.

And congrats on the puppy!

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Apr 25, 2019 06:09AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Thank you Bridget, Bethany, Amanda, and Andrew!

No problem, Andrew.
I see you've posted our May poll and sent inboxes to members.
Thank you so much for doing so! It's nice to know you can help out when we need it.
Right now, it's a struggle to find time to do anything other than watch Mitzi, haha! I managed to do a load of dishes and clean the upstairs bathroom sink while she napped today which was nice.

Mitzi is adjusting well. She's sleeping from 10pm to about 6:30 which is fantastic. She was crate-trained from day 1. She's never had an accident during the night. She's working hard on housebreaking. She only had one accident today (so far) and none yesterday. I think that's great considering I've only had her for one week. She knows the command "sit" and we're working on "lay down" and to come to me when I use the clicker. She's even learned to lay down nicely next to me while I watch something on television. I'm caught up on Game of Thrones!
She has her next veterinarian visit on May 10ᵗʰ and starts puppy kindergarten classes May 11ᵗʰ. I'm going to get a gate for the top of my stairs (at the moment I have it blocked off, but I'd like something more long-term), a boar bristle brush, and dog waste bags (I'd like to start taking her for short walks soon) either tonight or tomorrow.
This puppy is keeping me busy, but I'm SO happy!

I do miss reading. Hopefully I can begin to sneak in an hour here and there soon to catch up on our group reads.
Again, I apologize to members for my lack of participation for the time being.