Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Off Topic > obscure/least accessible books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments There are many books that have gone out of print, least accessible or too costly. Would it be okay, if people owning digital copies, upload them to Libgen? If you have a free copy, then good, if not would you be kind enough to upload a purchased one ? I mean, I know, it's a grey area..but what do u guys think?

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2382 comments Frog Toes and Tentacles is a book I would desperately love to read but copies, when available, are $1000. Yes I would download an illegal copy since I have no other means.

message 3: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Lena wrote: "Frog Toes and Tentacles is a book I would desperately love to read but copies, when available, are $1000. Yes I would download an illegal copy since I have no other means."

Lena, it's not even available on Libgen or eboobike. So I hear you...there's this particular book Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons that's too costly and have gone out of print. That's why I've started this thread..

message 4: by Clint (new)

Clint Walker Jr (donkataar) | 71 comments You know I don't see any problem with a group of people coming together to share their books. When I was a kid and teenager it was not unusual for my friends and I to exchange books. Once you purchase an item you should be able to do what you want to do with it. Just my personal opinion.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments The problem is that most digital books are not transferable and are the sole property of the digital rights holder. It not like the days when you could swap a paperback with a friend. So uploading a book and/or downloading or sharing digital copies of a book infringes on the copyright holder and is basically stealing. It is not a tolerated practice here at HA and any thread promoting such a thing will be deleted. Members who promote pirating on HA will be banned.

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 182 comments I found a copy of Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons on ebay for $16 plus shipping. It says it is a signed copy. Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollow-Faces...-

message 7: by Lena (last edited Apr 17, 2019 08:27PM) (new)

Lena | 2382 comments Way to go Sara Grace! Any luck with mine?

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 182 comments No luck, and I did try looking. I like what Goodreads says about it.
"Unlikely to be reprinted...ever."

message 9: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Bill wrote: "The problem is that most digital books are not transferable and are the sole property of the digital rights holder. It not like the days when you could swap a paperback with a friend. So uploading ..."

Bill...its about least accessible and obscure books..they are not in the market, out of print. Even if we want to we can't buy them. Not promoting piracy, helping out fellow bibliophiles..yes it's a grey area but if you could give us a better solution that'd be helpful.

message 10: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Clint wrote: "You know I don't see any problem with a group of people coming together to share their books. When I was a kid and teenager it was not unusual for my friends and I to exchange books. Once you purch..."

Clint, I hear you my man..but sadly the mod says that we'd be banned for promoting piracy. So let's hope that sooner or later publishers hear our pleas!

message 11: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Sarah-Grace wrote: "I found a copy of Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons on ebay for $16 plus shipping. It says it is a signed copy. Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollow-Faces......"

Sarah, that link is dead..16 dollars is 1000 bucks+shipping in Indian rupees...i'm estimating 1.5k..pretty costly..but still if it were available I'd save up some money and buy it.

message 12: by Bill (last edited Apr 18, 2019 07:21AM) (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Not really a grey area. It's illegal to distribute copyrighted digital content.

There is no good way to secure obscure and rare works. That’s what makes them obscure.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing wrong or illegal about mailing a book to lend to a friend (or just giving it to them outright), however, it is completely different with digital content due to the copyright laws concerning the content and “legal ownership”. For a physical book, we own it. For or digital content, we technically, do not. We are only paying for the right or permission to review the content. Any time a copy is made or shared it violates the licensing and copyright laws.

It’s impossible to loan a physical book to a friend and still have it on your bookshelf. Not so with digital content. You loan it out and now there are two copies. One you still have and one has been created and “loaned”. This can be repeated over and over creating many copies of work that has only been rightfully purchased a single time.

While that may be a bit of an oversimplification, I do understand that it is necessary to protect the rights of the copyright holders and content creators of the material to ensure they are properly paid for their work and allows them to continue to produce new material. (Yes, I know this is a bit different concerning old, out of print material, but the laws are the same, unless of course, the material is made available without a copyright or under open licensing conditions which would allow the content to be freely distributed.)

The only solution currently is to track down a physical copy or to wait for the material to be made available digitally and properly purchase or download under an open license platform.

message 13: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Bill wrote: "There is no good way to secure obscure and rare works. That’s what makes them obscure.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing wrong or illegal about mailing a book to lend to a friend (or..."

I agree..but what I honestly feel is that if I make a copy of an obscure, out of print book (digital)and share it, even the author wouldn't mind...only the publishers and the law would get mad! There are so many books so outrageously priced or so obscure that possessing a personal copy becomes difficult..then, even educational institutes promote digital piracy!

message 14: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2889 comments Mod
Here at HA we have a hard and fast policy of NO PIRACY.

Feel free to disagree but if anyone does it here they will be banned. No warning will be given.

message 15: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments WendyB wrote: "Here at HA we have a hard and fast policy of NO PIRACY.

Feel free to disagree but if anyone does it here they will be banned. No warning will be given."

I'm not promoting piracy..try and understand the situation, go through what I've said. And neither am I asking everyone out here to subscribe to my opinion. And Yes, I know you can ban me, and the other six mods can repeat it as well!

message 16: by Laurie (last edited Apr 18, 2019 08:57AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I am closing down this thread. The mods have stated several times that this discussion is not one HA promotes nor wishes to have discussed on HA.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.