What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Andrew: Lord of Despair (Lonely Lords, #7)
This topic is about Andrew
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical romance, heroine is pregnant, but someone is trying to kill her. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riikka (last edited Apr 15, 2019 08:38PM) (new)

Riikka (riibu) | 9 comments Spoilers ahead probably.

I've forgotten most of the details of the plot, but I'm sure it was historical romance (since I was reading lots of that around the time) and because there was business about inheritance and probably a title was involved as well?

The heroine had been kinda unhappily married, but done her duty and just before the husband dies off she gets pregnant. Possibly an heir is coming, so either it was the husband's middle or younger brother who tries to off her (not blatantly? they're accidents?) with the possibility of also offing the extra brother. Although maybe the husband didn't accidentally die, but it only looked so...

The only thing in particular that I remember about their relationship is that he only touches her the very bare minimum, like only coming in at night in the dark and all to literally just climax barely inside her and then leave. Which is horribly humiliating of course, especially when she sees him out at some point with his mistress whom he has no problems touching and liking. She may have tried to confront him about their 'sexlife', but got turned down big time. (there may have been a mother involved??? OR that was in another book with a similar theme, don't quote me on this.)

She goes off to some other estate, I can't remember why and there's the hero and there's probably some passionate stuff, none of which has stuck in my mind. But accidents keep happening, and eventually they figure it out and the offending brother gets found out.

Near the end the third brother also appears and everyone is a bit worried he's also terrible, but there was some sort of bit where he has some kind of encounter with one female character (main hero's sister...?) and there's a spark, so I'm quite sure I once checked it was at least two parts series and that I should remember to read it at some point. But I forgot of course. The encounter wasn't necessarily an epilogue, but maybe an excerpt about the next book, not sure.

I'd say this probably was written after 2000, so couple of decades at most. It was a library book at the time, and paperbacks like that don't last super long generally.
MOST likely it was in english... it was definitely set in England.

I tried just straight up googling it and checking out two long goodreads lists of books with pregnant heroines, but no luck.

message 2: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (riibu) | 9 comments bump

message 3: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (riibu) | 9 comments bump

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
A few guesses:

- Andrew: Lord of Despair by Grace Burrowes?
- An Heir of Uncertainty by Alyssa Everett?

Is her husband much older than her?

The hero isn't related to her husband?

What is the story's time period (e.g., consider the technology, transportation, political events)?

message 5: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (riibu) | 9 comments Good guesses! It's the first one! Wow, that was nice and easy, thank you. :D Finally I can cross it off of my mental list.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Oct 14, 2019 03:51PM) (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Riikka. It pays to guess. I got lucky with a Google search:

Google.com > site:www.goodreads.com "historical romance" "to kill her" "her husband" "mistress" pregnant