Our Shared Shelf discussion

Questions/Ideas/Ask the Mods > Idea: Journal while you read w pen pal-style book group?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Book Club - Pen Pal Style - Long Distance

Looking for interested members. Group will consist of 12 members who commit to reading one book a month. Each member will select and purchase a favorite book and a journal. As you read the book, you will write down thoughts, questions, connections, sketches, etc. in the journal. On the last day of every month, each member will package and mail the novel and the journal to the next person on the list. After 12 months, you will receive your original book back, along with the journal filled with treasures.
Anyone interested?

message 2: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 3 comments I think this is a lovely idea!

Alexandria Rose (alexandriarrose) | 3 comments I’m 100% interested! I think this is a great idea.

message 4: by Sylvia (last edited Apr 16, 2019 08:32AM) (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Thank you for your interest in this new Pen Pal Book Club. As soon as I have 12 interested members, I'll send an email with all the instructions.

To begin, send me an email with your book selection, and the state/country you live in. Once we have 12 members, we will create a group and share mailing information and instructions.

My email is sward7@gmail.com

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (efrith) | 7 comments This is a great idea!! I would love to participate, but I couldn’t begin to commit the time for at least few months. Good luck finding 12 people!!! Very cool!

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments Innovative idea, but a lot to commit to. I think for the purposes of OSS we should stick to the book(s) already selected to each month and apply the same concept.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilycrow) | 1 comments I’m interested!!! Count me in :)

message 8: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments I sent you an email! You will be the 10th member of our 5th group! All we need is two more members to get your group started.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments This sounds awesome. I would love to participate! (I already keep a journal of thoughts on the books we read!)

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Ashley wrote: "This sounds awesome. I would love to participate! (I already keep a journal of thoughts on the books we read!)"

Ashley - send me an email and I'll forward all the details and instructions.

message 11: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Sylvia wrote: "Ashley wrote: "This sounds awesome. I would love to participate! (I already keep a journal of thoughts on the books we read!)"

Ashley - send me an email and I'll forward all the details and instru..."

sward7@gmail.com

message 12: by Alexandria Rose (new)

Alexandria Rose (alexandriarrose) | 3 comments Looks like we’re getting close to 12 members! I’m getting pretty excited! Can’t wait!

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments I actually have a few others from the FB group. The founder is still putting together the logistics of how the International Group will run. You are at the top of the list - with the most enthusiasm!

message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana Bulas Cruz (anabulascruz) | 2 comments I think this is a great idea! I would love to participate, if there are still any spots left! :)) my email is anabulascruz@gmail.com

message 15: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments I will email you!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments Sylvia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Ashley wrote: "This sounds awesome. I would love to participate! (I already keep a journal of thoughts on the books we read!)"

Ashley - send me an email and I'll forward all the det..."

I emailed you! Sorry it took me a while to get back to this

message 17: by Devyn (new)

Devyn | 8 comments If there are still any openings I would love to be a part of this!

message 18: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Yes! Send me an email and let me know if you will be U.S. or International Group. They are slightly different due to costs of mailing packages across borders.

sward7@gmail.com

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Spence | 4 comments Wish I could commit to this, but I’m traveling later in the year. Hope this goes well as I’d love to do this next year. Have fun! Sounds like a blast.

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Ashleigh - send me an email and I'll give you the details about the U.S. and International versions of this test.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Shoot - I keep forgetting to leave my email address: sward7@gmail.com

message 22: by Khushi (new)

Khushi Aggarwal (kushmush) | 1 comments i would love to be in but are you adding only US citizens?

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments No! Send me an email and let me know where you live. We have 2 different kinds of groups purely due to expensive postage costs of mailing a book and journal across borders each month.

I’m happy to send you all details. My email is Sward7@gmail.com.

message 24: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments We have another round of groups starting in June, if anyone is interested. We successfully created 12 groups (with 12 members each) in the U.S. and another 3 groups (with 6 members each) in our International group. Post below, send me a message here, or email me at sward7@gmail.com if you are interested in joining.

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexamy_) | 2 comments Hi Sylvia, this sounds really fun! I'd love to be involved with the next round if you are including the U.K?

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 4 comments Is it still possible to get involved in this group? Where can I find the titles that I need to choose from? I am in New YOrk.
thanks

message 27: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Jane, yes you can still join. We have enough for at least 2 more US groups to start in June. There is no list of titles. You pick a book that you want to read and that's your book.

I'm sending you a message with details.

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 4 comments That means I will be getting 11 books for the rest of the year that I know nothing about right? Are there any restrictions on what books are to be chosen.

message 29: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Yes, that is correct! For the book, we ask that it not be too long so that most people can finish it in 3 weeks. And no erotica or highly sensitive/controversial books that could offend members. But all genres are welcome.

To get on the list, send me your name, mailing address, email address and book that you would like to select for this adventure.

Welcome!

message 30: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Clarification - you will know all members in your group and their respective book selections at the beginning. We have enough members to create at least 2 more groups (12 each) that will start in June.

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 4 comments so at that point could I opt out if I find that the titles are just totally outside my realm? I read a pretty wide selection but I'm still cautious.

message 32: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Well, the variety in each group is extensive with 12 random members grouped together. We ask members to read at least 1/3 of each book. Then journal about why you didn’t like it or were not able to finish. We understand that life happens.

message 33: by SHANE (last edited May 22, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

SHANE  (shanefk) | 1 comments fantastic idea!!! are there still spaces in UK groups?

message 34: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments SHANE wrote: "fantastic idea!!! are there still spaces in UK groups?"

Shane I just added you! WE have an International group and are hoping to create a full UK group. New groups will start in JUne.

message 35: by Alison (new)

Alison (aliri) | 1 comments This is such a great idea! Are there any Australia groups? I would love to know. Thanks :)

message 36: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Alison, I have one Australian waiting for a 'team' but it's in a group that marks up the book and then mails it. The regular groups are 4 people who all agree on 4 different books. AS you read, you markup the book with comments, thoughts, questions. AT the end of the month, you mail the book with your markings to the next person in your group.

I have one person from Australia who is waiting to be matched, but I don't have any more in your country. Are you interested in being a 2-person team for 2 months and then getting matched with more in the future?

message 37: by Blanka (new)

Blanka | 11 comments If there is a UK group starting I would be interested in joining

message 38: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments I have one person in the 4-member markup group who wants UK only. Use the link below to sign up for that one, and as soon as we get two more, I'll organize the group.

https://forms.gle/1MLtCsDyhFFmoZXk6

message 39: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Andros (lindsayandros) | 1 comments I'm a little late to the game, but this sounds so amazing! Any spots left for a gal from the USA?

message 40: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Yes, use the link above...

message 41: by Indrayanee (new)

Indrayanee Hi...I loved the idea....am little late to the party....I am from India...are there any groups I can still join?

message 42: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Yes- do you see the link above? I’m creating more groups that will start in July...

message 43: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments One of my other groups did this and it's a lot of fun.

message 44: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Indrayanee wrote: "Hi...I loved the idea....am little late to the party....I am from India...are there any groups I can still join?"

Here is the link:
https://forms.gle/Vu2SCagxELKn8ewAA

message 45: by Jana (new)

Jana Viktoria Hey guys, is this still open? I am based in Berlin, Germany, and I love the idea. Can we pick a book we like or is it for the group? and why 12?

I feel it might make sense to have some kind of different groups and I think it would be awesome if we had groups that were truly international?

Can I just start one or is it that there is an administrator assigning us to groups and books?

(my next book will the on the come up, no matter what... And I am excited!)

message 46: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Jana, there are 4 different groups for different preferences. Take a look at the link and sign up with the one that works for you.

Here is the link:
https://forms.gle/Vu2SCagxELKn8ewAA

message 47: by Sarah (last edited Jun 28, 2019 05:02AM) (new)

Sarah Gibbs (sarahtrg) | 8 comments Hi!! Is this still open?? It sounds like a great idea! :) I'd like to try the 4-person "Electronic/Digital Group" first and if that goes well, I'd like to then sign up for the "12-person Books With Journals Postal Group"... I filled out the form...

message 48: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi!! Is this still open?? It sounds like a great idea! :) I'd like to try the 4-person "Electronic/Digital Group" first and if that goes well, I'd like to then sign up for the "12-person Books With..."

Sarah, I got your signup information. I keep a wait list for each group and as soon as I have enough members, I match up members and send out emails with contact info and information to get started. If you want to start in July, here are the situations for each group:

1. Digital group - I just created a digital group to start in July. You will be first and I need 3 more to sign up with similar genre interests.

2. Postal Markup group - I have 6 members on the wait list: 3 with similar genre interests (classic and historical lit) and another 3 with similar genre interests (YA and fantasy). I just need one more to finalize each of these two groups to get started in July.

3. Postal Book/Journal - We just got our 12th member and will have our 21st group group ready to start in July. In order to create another group, I need 12 more sign-ups and I doubt that will happen for July. But I'm sure we will get at least two, if not three groups, that will start in August.

Let me know which group or groups you are interested in. You are more than welcome to sign up for more than one as long as you are able to read two books each month ;-)

I look forward to hearing from you.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gibbs (sarahtrg) | 8 comments Sylvia wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hi!! Is this still open?? It sounds like a great idea! :) I'd like to try the 4-person "Electronic/Digital Group" first and if that goes well, I'd like to then sign up for the "12-per..."

Hi Sylvia,

Can you explain to me exactly how the Postal Markup group works? I mean what if we have big handwriting or a lot to say? How can we fit 4 people's notes/thoughts into one book? I'd probably be more interested in doing the classical/historical lit group...

I'd be interested in doing the Digital Group for July if you can find 3 more people with similar genre interests and I'd like to do the Postal Book/Journal in August... :)

message 50: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 32 comments I've seen some member write notes on paper, fold it, and insert it into the book when they have a long entry. It is time-consuming to write little notes in the book as you read, so usually everyone writes short comments. And yes, so far, everyone has managed to figure out a way to get all members to comment.

So, just to clarify - for July, you want to be matched up in the digital group? If you want to join another group in the future, please send me a note and let me know. With all 4 groups, there are over 300 members so I will forget ;-(

Unless I hear otherwise, I"ll get you on the digital wait list. Digital groups get set up quicky because we have members from all over the world sign up ;-)

Am I answering all your questions? And am I correct that you only want the digital group for July?

« previous 1