Everything Booklikes & Leafmarks discussion

Booklikes - discussions > Anyone know if they are renewing domain name in May?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 445 comments Has anyone heard anything from booklikes regarding the domain name expiring in May?

message 2: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 57 comments I had no idea this was happening. I hope they will!

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 209 comments They didn't. The domain expired on May 4 -- BL is currently in a post-registration grace period. This may be an oversight, and while the grace period lasts, they can still go back and extend the domain registration (it's happened to me with a site of my own in the past, too; you have to throw a bit of money at it, but the actual re-registration isn't any more hassle than extending the domain registration in time). But if it's not mended by the time the grace period is over, the site will go down; and it may then take a lot more work to get it reinstated.

The WhoIs data are public: https://www.whois.net/ (just type "booklikes.com" in the search bar). Currently, the response you get in bold print is that "the domain is registered". But if you look at the detailed information, you'll see that it contains a line that reads "Registry Expiry Date: 2020-05-04T16:22:58Z." So, the domain registration actually expired on 2020-05-04 at 4:22 PM (not sure what time zone that refers to, but I'm assuming CET, since that is where BookLikes is headquartered), and the only reason why the answer you get in bold print is still "registered" is that the post-expiry grace period is still running.

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 209 comments P.S. You may want to hop over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This is the thread where the BL expats / all those of us who are interested in keeping in touch, whatever happens next, are currently congregating.

message 5: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 57 comments Thanks, Themis-Athena. I have just sent a join request. :)

message 6: by Surreysmum (new)

Surreysmum | 1 comments Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) wrote: "P.S. You may want to hop over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This is the thread where the BL expats / all those of us who are interested in keeping in touch, w..."

I'm getting a "sorry that group is secret" message. :( Any way I can join? I was known on BL as "Scottish-Canadian..."

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 209 comments Surreysmum wrote: "I'm getting a "sorry that group is secret" message. :( Any way I can join? I was known on BL as "Scottish-Canadian...""

You'll have to ask the moderator to admit you (Christine PNW -- on BookLikes formerly known as Moonlight Reader).

Btw, I just tried to send you a friend request here on GR, but it probably failed because I can't answer the challenge question ... I only know you by your BookLikes name. Maybe it's going to work if you send me a friend request in turn ...?