Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Let's build a list! Libraries and bookstores: those "little" sanctuaries across the world

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2019 07:44AM) (new)

Good monday (or another day, it'd fine too) everyone!

I have no doubt that most of you love libraries and places full of books. You know those havens you can stop by during a walking. From the large avenues full of books to the modest and cosy bookstore where you may read around a cup of tea and let yourself jump in a peaceful flow.

Personnaly, I cannot help to stop in front of bookstore displays to give a quick glimpse of a few sec... Minutes 😄 and sometime caught by curiosity I'm already walking among the shelves... Ooops 😜

Anyway, I believe some of you know what I'm talking about and I'm sure you (yes, you who's reading those lines right now!) have some nice addresses to share!
So I was thinking (largely influenced by OSS post regarding Bluestocking Bookstore) we, as a community could build a list of wonderful little (or not so little) libraries and bookstores that astonished (and keep astonishing) us with delight.

Quite easy, in your comment inform us about:

The name of the place (if it's a library, a bookstore, a place where you can drink books and read tea/hot chocolate etc... or the opposite I don't remember)

The address (don't forget the country and the city please!)

A quick description telling us why you could not help to stop in front of the display or to visit the magic of the place and why you advice us to go there.

I'll try my best to keep the first post updated 😉

North America : List in Message 5
Canada
Mexico
USA

South America : List in Message 11
Guatemala
Argentina

Europe : List in Message 13
Croatia
Switzerland
Scotland
Portugal
England

Asia : List in Message 15
India
Singapore

Ok, I have decided to split the list into continent categories. You'll be able to find the different addresses in the aforementioned messages. I hope it won't be confusing, if it is please let me know!

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Lovegreen (lynn_lovegreen) Lovely idea, Florian!
Anchorage Public Library
Loussac branch 3600 Denali St, Anchorage, AK 99503 USA
This is the biggest branch library in Anchorage, Alaska, and has great collections and lots of comfortable places to sit and read. Covered drinks from the café allowed in the library!

The Writer's Block Bookstore and Café
3956 Spenard Rd, Anchorage, AK 99517 USA
Great little independent bookstore supports local authors and has a nice selection of food and drink to complement your browsing and hanging out in their cozy setting.

Seattle Central Library
1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104 USA
This downtown public library is extensive in its offerings, and the modern innovative architecture is worth a tour.

message 3: by Samanta (last edited Apr 15, 2019 12:34PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 50 comments Love the idea! If any of you (those who are not my countrymen/women) decide to visit Croatia or its capital Zagreb, these are my favourite places

Public library Bogdan Ogrizovic in Preradoviceva Street right next to the "Flower Square" (this is the easiest way to find it! :) )
This is only one library in the chain of public libraries of the City of Zagreb, but it's my favourite. It feels like home. It's on the very centre of the city in the historical Lower town, surrounded with cute caffes and the lovely "Flower Square" (locals' name for the square that just stayed).

Znanje Bookstore
1 Gajeva Street
Taken over from the famous Algoritam, this bookstore has the largest offer of foreign language literature.

Hocu Knjigu Megastore
7 Bogoviceva Street
This bookstore has a few levels and the cutest reading nook in the form of and old-fashion home library. :)

message 4: by Leslie (last edited Apr 17, 2019 10:50AM) (new)

Leslie (lesliejean43) | 88 comments Owen Sound and North Grey Union Public Library, 1st Avenue West, just north of 8th Street. in Owen Sound, ON, Canada.
Wonderful place, with helpful people!

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2019 07:24AM) (new)

Wonderful! I wait a few other post to edit the first comment :) Keep sharing those good addresses! ;)

North America

Canada

1) Owen Sound and North Grey Union Public Library (Proposed by Leslie)
Address: 1st Avenue West, just north of 8th Street. in Owen Sound, ON, Canada.
Description: It is an excellent library, which has recently been remodelled. It has comfortable chairs for reading, and many library services. The one that is most helpful to me right now is called Library To Go. I have a volunteer who is wonderful! She takes my list of several books I would like, and brings the books to me, and returns the books I have finished. In this program I am able to keep books for 6 weeks, which is great. If books I want are not available, I am placed on the waiting list, or books can be requested from other libraries in the province. If I get a book as an inter-library loan, I need to return it in 3 weeks, unless I am able to renew it.

Mexico

1) 6 coffee libraries called "El Péndulo" (The Pendulum). (Proposed by Rayel)
Addresses: I'll try to find them out be patient or remind me to find them please! :)
Description: They are cozy, have live soft music on weekend mornings and literature short courses (even for kids). The tables and chairs are near electric contacts so you can plug in a laptop or a phone. Many people go there to read, write, eat or discuss business or even private teaching (like private math classes).

2) EDUCAL (Proposed by Selene)
Address:
Description: A place where you can get the popular books but also different, strange and unique books of Mexico an it's culture. I love it!

USA

1) Anchorage Public Library (Proposed by Lynn)
Address : Loussac branch 3600 Denali St, Anchorage, AK 99503 USA
Description: This is the biggest branch library in Anchorage, Alaska, and has great collections and lots of comfortable places to sit and read. Covered drinks from the café allowed in the library!

2) The Writer's Block Bookstore and Café (Proposed by Lynn)
Address: 3956 Spenard Rd, Anchorage, AK 99517 USA
Description: Great little independent bookstore supports local authors and has a nice selection of food and drink to complement your browsing and hanging out in their cozy setting.

3) Seattle Central Library (Proposed by Lynn)
Address: 1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104 USA
Description: This downtown public library is extensive in its offerings, and the modern innovative architecture is worth a tour.

4) Copperfield's Books (Proposed by Jenna)
Address: 140 Kentucky Street, Petaluma, CA.
Description: The whole downtown area is worth visiting, though it has changed a bit over the years.

5) Bright Side Books (Proposed by Sierra)
Address: 18 North San Francisco Street, Flagstaff, AZ, 86001, USA
Description: This bookstore has an AMAZING selection of books. They have one of the largest nature books sections I have ever found. Really kind owners and they host fun author events.

6) Back of Beyond Books (Proposed by Sierra)
Address: 83 N. Main St. Moab, Utah, USA
Description: Desert country <3 Again, great selection of nature books. Their focus is on American Southwest literature. They also have a wonderful collectible collection with lots of first editions.

7) Literati (Proposed by Monical)
Address: 124 E. Washington, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Description: The store's theme is typewriters, and they recently published a book called "Notes from a Public Typewriter." On the feminist side, a favorite is Room of One's Own in Madison, WI, and Women and Children First, in Chicago.

8) Parnassus Books (Proposed by Laurie)
Address: 3900 Hillsboro Pike Suite 14, Nashville, TN 37215

9) Audubon Library (Proposed by Tara)
Address: 350 John James Audubon Pkwy, Buffalo, NY 14228, USA

10) Antigone Books (Proposed by Laura)
Address: 411 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705, USA

11)Third Eye Comics Store (Proposed by Emma)
Address : 209 Chinquapin Round Rd, Annapolis, MD 21401
Description: This is the my absolute favorite comic book store! It is huge and full of amazingly helpful people. Lots of comics, other nerdy/comic-related books, plus other fun stuff!

See more here: https://thirdeyecomics.com/annapolis-2/

Long Soul System (longsoulsystem) | 3 comments In Mexico City there are like 6 coffee libraries called "El Péndulo" (The Pendulum).
They are cozy, have live soft music on weekend mornings and literature short courses (even for kids).
The tables and chairs are near electric contacts so you can plug in a laptop or a phone. Many people go there to read, write, eat or discuss business or even private teaching (like private math classes).

So if you ever come to Mexico Capital, be sure to look for a "El Péndulo" library :)

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_catherine) Bider & Tanner (book store)
Aeschenvorstadt 2, 4051- Basel, Switzerland

It has an English section upstairs and not only English as a foreign language but also children’s books, classics and new releases ranging from DIY to art to science fiction.

There are chairs and places to sit and read, treats and other import goods (mostly British and American) that are hard to find in Mainland Europe. They also carry toys, games, music and cards and they host literary events.

I love that they carry cultural items that are hard to find elsewhere. Like “The Little Prince” written in the Basel dialect (Baseldeutsch).

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (glitterbot) | 3 comments Copperfield's Books in Petaluma, CA. The whole downtown area is worth visiting, though it has changed a bit over the years.

https://www.copperfieldsbooks.com/pet...

message 9: by Sierra (last edited Apr 23, 2019 02:11PM) (new)

Sierra | 42 comments Two of my favorite bookstores are:

Bright Side Books in Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
This bookstore has an AMAZING selection of books. They have one of the largest nature books sections I have ever found. Really kind owners and they host fun author events.

and

Back of Beyond Books in Moab, Utah, USA
Desert country <3 Again, great selection of nature books. Their focus is on American Southwest literature. They also have a wonderful collectible collection with lots of first editions.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraro) | 4 comments I'm yet to find my own little piece if heaven. We do have a local library which is good but lacks the comfy, friendly atmosphere I look for. I'm seriously considering going into Business Mangement and making my own little quirky book store you can go to, set up camp on a comfy chair or sofa with a cup of coffee and just simply.... be

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2019 07:26AM) (new)

Laura wrote: "I'm yet to find my own little piece if heaven. We do have a local library which is good but lacks the comfy, friendly atmosphere I look for. I'm seriously considering going into Business Mangement ..."

That sounds interesting!

I'll update the first post hopefully this evening if not it should be done by monday evening! Keep sharing those valuable and precious places you treasure!

By the way, if someone went in Stockholm/London or lives there and has addresses of cosy bookstores or amazing libraries I'll be happy to know them since I'm going in those two places in June! :)

Thank you!

South America

Guatemala

1) Librería Sophos (Proposed by M. Gabriela)
Address: 4A Avenida 12-59, Ciudad de Guatemala 0101
Description: An independent bookstore with a wide variety of books and a café.

Argentina

1) Ateneo Grand Splendid (Proposed by Cyn)
Address: Av. Santa Fe 1860, Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Description: It's such a beautiful place! Thousands and thousands of books (most of them in Spanish, but I think there's a section in English as well) and there is a little coffee place in the back where the stage used to be, and there are places where you can sit and read. It's marvellous!
See more here: https://www.yenny-elateneo.com/local/...

message 12: by Monical (new)

Monical | 12 comments Libraries and bookstores are my idea of heaven, and its a special delight that they are all so different! Here in Ann Arbor, MI, we are lucky to have Literati, an independent bookstore recently been recognized as the Publishers Weekly 2019 Bookstore of the year. The store's theme is typewriters, and they recently published a book called "Notes from a Public Typewriter." On the feminist side, a favorite is Room of One's Own in Madison, WI, and Women and Children First, in Chicago. Sadly, many independent GLBTQ bookstores, including ours in Ann Arbor, are closed or struggling. Its a tough market with the competition on the internet.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2019 07:35AM) (new)

Monical wrote: "Libraries and bookstores are my idea of heaven, and its a special delight that they are all so different! Here in Ann Arbor, MI, we are lucky to have Literati, an independent bookstore recently bee..."

I very much agree with you, the competition with internet is hard. That could be an interesting topic to discuss in a Thread and even during a Skype Debate session (I'll talk about that to Robert for the Skype).

Europe

Croatia

1) Public library Bogdan Ogrizovic (Proposed by Samanta)
Address: Preradoviceva Street right next to the "Flower Square" (this is the easiest way to find it! :) )
Description: This is only one library in the chain of public libraries of the City of Zagreb, but it's my favourite. It feels like home. It's on the very centre of the city in the historical Lower town, surrounded with cute caffes and the lovely "Flower Square" (locals' name for the square that just stayed).

2) Znanje Bookstore (Proposed by Samanta)
Address: 1 Gajeva Street
Description: Taken over from the famous Algoritam, this bookstore has the largest offer of foreign language literature.

3) Hocu Knjigu Megastore (Proposed by Samanta)
Address: 7 Bogoviceva Street
Description: This bookstore has a few levels and the cutest reading nook in the form of and old-fashion home library. :)

Switzerland

1) Bider & Tanner (book store)
Address: Aeschenvorstadt 2, 4051- Basel, Switzerland
Description: It has an English section upstairs and not only English as a foreign language but also children’s books, classics and new releases ranging from DIY to art to science fiction.

There are chairs and places to sit and read, treats and other import goods (mostly British and American) that are hard to find in Mainland Europe. They also carry toys, games, music and cards and they host literary events.

I love that they carry cultural items that are hard to find elsewhere. Like “The Little Prince” written in the Basel dialect (Baseldeutsch)

Scotland

1)Lighthouse (Proposed by Suganya)
Address: 43-45 West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh, Scotland
Description: Their collection is very inclusive and they hold regular events on various topics like gender equality, representation of minority etc. The store is cozy and utterly delightful!

Portugal

1) The Literary Man - Óbidos Hotel (Proposed by Samanta)
Address: Rua D` João d`Ornelas, 2510-074 Óbidos, Portugal
It used to be a monastery built in the 19th century. A few years ago, it was bought and turned into a wonderful hotel/library/bookstore. Books everywhere, and I mean that literary.
See more: http://www.theliteraryman.pt/

2) Livraria de Santiago (Proposed by Samanta)
Address: Igreja de São Tiago, Rua Direita, Óbidos, Central Portugal
An 18th century (latest version of it, anyway) church turned bookstore.
See more here: https://vilaliteraria.com/livraria-de...

England

1) The Book Hive (Proposed by M. Gabriela)
Address: 53 London Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 1HL
Description: Independent Bookstore with wide variety of books.

See more here: https://www.thebookhive.co.uk/

2) Daunt Books (Proposed by Kate)
Address: Daunt Books, 83 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4QW
Description: Beautiful wooden shelves and corridors and stained glass windows, interestingly laid out by country - both non-fiction and fiction books

See more here: https://www.dauntbooks.co.uk/marylebone/

3)Housmans (Proposed by Kate)
Address: Housmans, Peace House, 5 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London N1 9DX, UK
Description: Nobody said she/he went there so if someone knows it please let me know>.

4)Foyles, Charing Cross Rd (Propose by Kate)
Address: Foyles, 107 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2H 0DT
Description: Huge branch of Foyles-tons of books to explore.

5) Waterstones Birmingham (Proposed by Kate)
Address: 24-26 High Street, Birmingham, B4 7SL
Description: Waterstones on the High Street is expansive - across 6 floors, great friendly, knowledgeable and friendly book sellers ( it feels like a cross between Fox Books and Shop Around the Corner from You've Got Mail ;)) and interesting book events, while it is a chain it maintains an "indie feel" with their selections and supporting Birmingham authors and merchandise, no comfy chairs by the bookshelves they allow you to carefully browse the books at the cafe tables.

6)Foyles Grand Central
Address: Foyles Unit 2A Grand Central, Birmingham, B2 4BF
Description: albeit small, it has good recommendations and Birmingham local books and merchandise, a step above the usual generic shopping mall bookshops.
Birmingham Libraries -- the main library in the city centre is huge, good selection, newly renovated inside and out (outside design is supposed to look like a flat stack of books), and the network of Birmingham community town libraries means many books can be found and easily sent to your local library at no cost which just shows how access to books can be afforded to everyone.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Bragg | 2 comments Parnassus Books in Nashville!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2019 07:40AM) (new)

First post updated! Thanks a lot to everyone sharing their treasured Bookstores and Libraries! Carry on please! :)

Asia

India

1) The Munching Route Book Cafe (Proposed by Bhakti)
Address: Laxman Nagar, Baner, Pune, Maharashtra 411045

2) Crossword (Proposed by Bhakti)
Address: Ozone, ITI Rd, Anand , Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra 411001
Description: It's technically a bookstore but they allow you to read and have a cozy cafe there......

Singapore

1)Kinokuniya book store,
Address: 391 Orchard Road (in Ngee Ann City), Singapore
Description: It is pretty much the biggest book store in Singapore and has quite a variety of languages. I go there weekly because it also sells mangas and magazines of different languages.

2) NLB (National Library Board):
a)Central: 100 Victoria Street Singapore 188064
b)Bishan: 5 Bishan Place Singapore 579841
c)Ang Mo Kio: 4300 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6 Singapore 569842
Description: These places have cafes in the buildings so I can get a meal there.

message 16: by Bhakti (new)

Bhakti | 1 comments 1- The Munching Route Book Cafe

Address: Laxman Nagar, Baner, Pune, Maharashtra 411045

2- Crossword

Address: Ozone, ITI Rd, Anand , Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra 411001

Description: It's technically a bookstore but they allow you to read and have a cozy cafe there......

message 17: by Suganya (new)

Suganya (suganyasundaravadivelu) Lighthouse bookshop, Edinburgh.

Their collection is very inclusive and they hold regular events on various topics like gender equality, representation of minority etc. The store is cozy and utterly delightful!

Here’s a link to their website - https://www.lighthousebookshop.com

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments 1) Kinokuniya book store
Ngee Ann City
Singapore
It is pretty much the biggest book store in Singapore and has quite a variety of languages. I go there weekly because it also sells mangas and magazines of different languages.

2) NLB libraries
My favourites are Central (located near Orchard), Bishan and Ang Mo Kio.
These places have cafes in the buildings so I can get a meal there.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 26, 2019 07:17AM) (new)

Megan wrote: "1) Kinokuniya book store
Ngee Ann City
Singapore
It is pretty much the biggest book store in Singapore and has quite a variety of languages. I go there weekly because it also sells mangas and magaz..."

Sweet! 😊 May I ask you why those three are your favourite?

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara | 2 comments Audubon Library in Buffalo, New York.

Recently moved back to Buffalo following a tragedy in the family. When I had lived here before, I volunteered at Audubon for many years. Walking back into the library, knowing where all the sections were (though they have all exploded!), I just let out a big, deep, sigh.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Heaney | 13 comments Antigone book store in Tucson!!!

message 22: by Samanta (last edited Apr 27, 2019 12:31AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 50 comments Florian, I have a suggestion for Portugal (although not a native).

The Literary Man - Óbidos Hotel
Address: Rua D` João d`Ornelas, 2510-074 Óbidos, Portugal
It used to be a monastery built in the 19th century. A few years ago, it was bought and turned into a wonderful hotel/library/bookstore. Books everywhere, and I mean that literary.
See more: http://www.theliteraryman.pt/

Livraria de Santiago
Address: Igreja de São Tiago, Rua Direita, Óbidos, Central Portugal
An 18th century (latest version of it, anyway) church turned bookstore.
See more here: https://vilaliteraria.com/livraria-de...

Obidos was put on the UNESCO list of Creative City of Literature in 2015.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2019 01:18AM) (new)

You are all awesome! It's quite pleasant to see you sharing those havens! I wish we could have suggestions for every single place in the world!

I'll update the list whenever I have access to a computer.

message 24: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments Here in Argentina there this beautiful bookstore called Ateneo Grand Splendid. It's considered one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world. It used to be a theather once. You can find it in Av. Santa Fe 1860, Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Here's the website in case you want to check: https://www.yenny-elateneo.com/local/...

It's such a beautiful place! Thousands and thousands of books (most of them in Spanish, but I think there's a section in English as well) and there is a little coffee place in the back where the stage used to be, and there are places where you can sit and read. It's marvellous!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

First post updated! :D
The list is growing thanks to you all! Keep building it with your own recommendations! :)

message 26: by Kate (last edited Apr 30, 2019 12:27AM) (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments Thanks for creating a list Florian:

Here's a few bookshops and libraries (note, I didn't link to Waterstones and Foyles as they are chain bookshops without location specific websites) in no order of preference here's a few I've chanced upon and enjoyed:

London, UK: Daunt Books, Marylebone, http://www.dauntbooks.co.uk
Beautiful wooden shelves and corridors and stained glass windows, interestingly laid out by country - both non-fiction and fiction books. http://www.dauntbooks.co.uk

2018 I attended "London Radical Book Fair" (back in 2020 https://londonradicalbookfair.wordpre...) where many radical, independent booksellers and talks - there I found out about Houseman's Radical Booksellers Not-for Profit. I haven't visited their physical shop yet. http://www.housmans.com

Foyles, London Charring Cross branch is huge -tons of books to explore.

Birmingham, UK: sadly there are very few bookshops in this city and no truly independent bookshops but the following:
Waterstones on the High Street is expansive - across 6 floors, great friendly, knowledgeable and friendly book sellers ( it feels like a cross between Fox Books and Shop Around the Corner from You've Got Mail ;)) and interesting book events, while it is a chain it maintains an "indie feel" with their selections and supporting Birmingham authors and merchandise, no comfy chairs by the bookshelves they allow you to carefully browse the books at the cafe tables.
Foyles (now owned by Waterstones) in Grand Central (upstairs level of Birmingham New Street Train station) - albeit small, it has good recommendations and Birmingham local books and merchandise, a step above the usual generic shopping mall bookshops.
Birmingham Libraries -- the main library in the city centre is huge, good selection, newly renovated inside and out (outside design is supposed to look like a flat stack of books), and the network of Birmingham community town libraries means many books can be found and easily sent to your local library at no cost which just shows how access to books can be afforded to everyone. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/libraries

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK - Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely
A gem of a cosy small, independent well run bookshop - well located in a lovely picturesque cathedral city, a short train ride from Cambridge. Amazing selection of books, friendly and helpful staff, cosy places to sit, able to have a cuppa tea or drink, and interesting events. https://www.toppingbooks.co.uk

Singapore: to add - I would say the NLB (National Library Board) network is amazing - they often brings in 'hot off the press' physical books and E-books, all the community libraries are often full of people of various ages and nationalities. In addition to those locations I would add two favourite branches: Orchard Library for it's central location and design feature shelves, and Woodlands library - huge selection and well stocked.

Books Actually bookshop - Independent bookshop with a focus on fiction, literature, non fiction, supporting Singaporean authors and publishers and hard-to-find titles. A cosy bookshop which also sells postcards and other Singaporean vintage merchandise, and hosts interesting literary events. https://www.booksactuallyshop.com

Woods in the Books and Books Ahoy - independent children’s bookshop (2 branches at Tiong Bahru and The Forum shopping mall) - a haven for children’s books and stories for children and adults to buy gifts - friendly and knowledgeable staff. https://www.woodsinthebooks.sg

Select Books - an independent bookseller set up in 1976, pretty much pioneering at the time and still is, contains a great selection of mainstream and hard to find niche books (fiction, non-fiction, reference, academia and so on) relating to the Asian region. Used to be a bricks and mortar shop but recently had to close - now only online and they distribute books to other Singapore bookshops and public and university libraries http://www.selectbooks.com.sg

Migrant Library Singapore - a ground up intitative to provide access to library books for Migrant Workers including foreign domestic workers (who do not have free or subsidised access to the NLB public libraries) in their native languages and English. (When I was previously working with a Singapore Migrant Worker NGO - our clients said this library was an exciting and useful to them initiative) (Facebook page - https://m.facebook.com/Migrant-Librar...)

Sydney, Australia:
Better Read than Dead in Newtown. Huge space, great book selection, can get lost reading there for ages! http://www.betterread.com.au
Blues Point Bookshop, McMahons Point - a small cosy independent bookshop with friendly owner, good selection of adult and children's books and recommendations and comfy chairs to browse. https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/blues-poin...

I love exploring libraries and brick and mortar bookshops from the small cosy ones to the huge ones and I also buy online from various retailers and online market place second-hand bookshops. And "You've Got Mail" runs in my mind at times when I think of bookstores ;)

P.S. updated - I completely forgot to type those Singapore bookshops/library yesterday.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I only created the thread You are getting involved in its construction so thank you to you! I'll update it tomorrow! I have a few bookstore addresses to check out in London when I'll be there for vacation... Sweet 🤩

message 28: by Selene (new)

Selene (pixseles) | 9 comments If you come to Mexico I would recommend EDUCAL (https://www.educal.com.mx/) you can get the popular books but also different, strange and unique books of Mexico an it's culture. I love it!

message 29: by Megan (last edited May 01, 2019 08:27AM) (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments Florian wrote: "Megan wrote: "1) Kinokuniya book store
Ngee Ann City
Singapore
It is pretty much the biggest book store in Singapore and has quite a variety of languages. I go there weekly because it also sells ma..."

Oh that's because they are the most convenient for me to access. Some of the libraries are within walking distance of MRTs, and some are just near popular malls or shopping districts.
Ngee Ann City is also at the prime shopping area, so it's fun to just go to the mall and check out the books, and check out the food and clothes.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: "Florian wrote: "Megan wrote: "1) Kinokuniya book store
Ngee Ann City
Singapore
It is pretty much the biggest book store in Singapore and has quite a variety of languages. I go there weekly because ..."

That's also good reasons :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll try to update the list as soon as possible but I may forget to do it today because I'll be exhausted (long day yesterday) and awaken at 5:30 am today... Ouch...

message 32: by Gaby (new)

Gaby S. (caosparalelos) | 3 comments Norwich, UK:
The Book Hive

Guatemala City, Guatemala:
Librería Sophos (also has a café)

Both independent bookstores with great staff and a wide variety of books.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I have updated the list but I'm having an issue with the character space... oops...

I have asked a moderator if she has any idea or suggestion. I'll try my best to take care of the updates as soon as possible.

Do not hesitate to keep sharing bookstore addresses suggestions :)

I super happy to see ideas from all around the world! It's so great! :D

message 34: by Pablo (last edited May 04, 2019 11:16AM) (new)

Pablo (pablobi) | 9 comments In the Pacific Northwest:

Kirkland Public Library - a special field trip for our daughters
308 Kirkland Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033

Small bookstores:
Book Tree in Kirkland
609 Market St. Kirkland, Wa 98033

Not so small:
Third Place Books
17171 Bothell Way NE, #A101
Lake Forest Park WA 98155

...and the you got 5 dollars each girls:

Half Price Books - Redmond
7805 Leary Way, Redmond, WA 98052

McDonald's Book Exchange (bring used books and puzzles)
7969 Gilman Street, Redmond WA 98052

Brick and Mortar in Redmond opened a few months ago, have not checked it.

message 35: by Macee (new)

Macee Jarvis (spaceemacee) | 1 comments In good ole' eastern Missouri....

Neighborhood Reads
401 Lafayette St.
Washington, MO 63090

WONDERFUL and lively staff that are very involved in diversity and making a difference in their community. They host tons of programs and classes for all ages that are always a hit. Plus they've got a doggo you can play with!
They usually participate in Independent Bookstore Day too!

Scenic Regional Library (visit any of our 9 branches, including the Bookmobile! )
Franklin Co., Gasconade Co. and Warren Co. in Missouri

I have worked for the library for almost 7 years and I think we're pretty interesting and always trying to find the next big thing to do! ! ;)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll update the list and will spread it over the different posts I wrote, hopefully it will be clear enough.

As for now here is a nice suggestion!

Bibliomotocarro (by Our Shared Shelf Instagram Account, hey I had to write down that one, Team OSS! ;) )
Address: Region of Matera (Basilicata, Italy)
Description: This motorized free library driven by Antonio la cava goes around the region of matera to share books and knowledge.

Here are two links:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxF654eF0nk/
https://www.ilbibliomotocarro.com/ (In Italian)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reformating the list and actually splitting it into different categories. Still working on it so please be patient. Do not hesitate to add more addresses :)