21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > June 2019 Open Pick Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2777 comments Mod
Nominations are now open until April 22nd for the June 2019 Open Pick.

Nominating guidelines:
- Fiction (original & translation, if applicable) first published between January 1, 2000 and June 1, 2018. For translations the latter date must be an English edition.
- One nomination per person (please do not nominate or vote for a book unless you are certain you can read and discuss if it wins)
- A book this group has not yet read (see group bookshelf)
- A book that is not better suited to the wild card (genre) category

If you are nominating, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name with hyperlink to book]"

The discussion will start on June 1st

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2387 comments I nominate Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan - let's see if it can get better traction this time.

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Linda

message 4: by Laurie (new)

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Laurie

message 6: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Hi. I nominate City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg, or if that is too long, Fortune Smiles by Adam Johnson.

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments I nominate The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2195 comments Mod
Tamara wrote: "I nominate The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk."

Unfortunately, that was originally published in 1990 (which is too bad, I have a copy on my shelf waiting to be read). Any other books you'd like to nominate?

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments Whitney wrote: "Tamara wrote: "I nominate The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk."

Unfortunately, that was originally published in 1990 (which is too bad, I have a copy on my shelf waiting to be..."

Sorry, I didn't check the date of publication. I really enjoyed his My Name Is Red and am looking forward to reading this one.

I'll have to think about a different nomination. Thanks for letting me know.

message 10: by Hugh (new)

Thanks for stepping in Whitney, and Tamara, you are not the first person to make this kind of mistake (and I agree that the Black Book is interesting)! There are several other Pamuk novels which are eligible, but some of them are rather long.

Hayley - I am happy to accept City on Fire as a valid nomination, but you are only allowed one.

message 11: by Hugh (new)

Still thinking about whether to add one of my own...

message 12: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 234 comments I nominate The Human Stain by Philip Roth.

message 13: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Lark.

These are the valid nominations so far:

Half Blood Blues (Linda)
The Tuner of Silences (Laurie)
City on Fire (Hayley)
The Human Stain (Lark)

message 14: by Hugh (new)

I nominate Border Districts by Gerald Murnane

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 286 comments Hugh wrote: "I nominate Border Districts by Gerald Murnane"

Oh my. This looks fantastic!

message 16: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 680 comments Dangit this is one of those months where I want to read ALL of these! It'll be hard to vote!

message 17: by Lesley (last edited Apr 20, 2019 08:12PM) (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Hugh wrote: "I nominate Border Districts by Gerald Murnane"

I tried to read this , last year, but DNF. Will be interested once you guys have read it. Perhaps people who raved about 'Milkman', might have a treat.

message 18: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited Apr 21, 2019 02:34PM) (new)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 245 comments I lucked into a copy at a thrift store of Half Blood Blues, so I picked it up in the off-chance it wins the poll. I don't know anything about it, other than being a Booker finalist, which (after attempting and discarding Vernon God Little in the first dozen pages) doesn't necessarily mean as much as it used to. Still, I'm willing to give it a try.

message 19: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments I nominate Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo.
I checked your list and couldn't find it. So I don't think you've done it as a group read yet.
I just finished reading it. An absolute delight with brilliant characterization and dialogue. I would love to discuss it as a group read.

message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2778 comments Mod
Tamara, that sounds like a wonderful choice, but unfortunately, that one was also published in the '90s. Anything published between 2000 and now (that we haven't yet read as a group) is fair game.

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments Tamara wrote: "I nominate Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo.
I checked your list and couldn't find it. So I don't think you've done it as a group read yet.
I just finished reading it. A..."

Well, it seems I screwed up, again. I just checked and Nobody's Fool was published in 1994. So it is ineligible. Oh, dear! I seem to keep missing the boat. I promise to get the hang of this--eventually :)

message 22: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments Marc wrote: "Tamara, that sounds like a wonderful choice, but unfortunately, that one was also published in the '90s. Anything published between 2000 and now (that we haven't yet read as a group) is fair game."

Thanks, Marc. I realized my mistake and was in the process of composing my sort-of apology while you posted your message.

message 23: by Marc (new)

Tamara wrote: "Marc wrote: "Tamara, that sounds like a wonderful choice, but unfortunately, that one was also published in the '90s. Anything published between 2000 and now (that we haven't yet read as a group) i..."

No worries. I feel like 5 out of every 6 picks I personally want to recommend to the group fail to meet the 21st century publishing requirement (I don't tend to pay much attention to when books are published, in general).

message 24: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 282 comments Marc wrote: "(I don't tend to pay much attention to when books are published, in general)..."

Apparently, neither do I--a fact that has become blatantly obvious to me and to all and sundry :)

message 25: by Marc (new)

As long as we're both finding books to love, that's all that really matters!

message 26: by Hugh (new)

We'll have to do another no rules round at some point...

message 27: by Lily (last edited Apr 23, 2019 02:17PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Laurie wrote: "I nominate The Tuner of Silences by Mia Couto."

Laurie -- I was so delighted to see a nomination of a book by Mia Couto, who has been on my to-be-read list for so long it is embarrassing to myself, if even not publicly! Sorry to see it among so many other strong contenders. It will get my vote, if I remember to vote...

His country, Mozambique, is only too sadly in the news:
https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/...

https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Couto

message 28: by Hugh (new)

Nominations are now closed. Here is a link to the poll:
June Open Pick Poll

message 29: by Hugh (new)

Last day for the poll. Border Districts is currently in the lead, but it is not too late to change that.

message 30: by Hugh (new)

Border Districts has won the poll. I am looking forward to reading and discussing this one.

message 31: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Hugh wrote: "Border Districts has won the poll. I am looking forward to reading and discussing this one."

I will follow with interest. One of my rare DNF.

message 32: by Hugh (new)

To be honest, I know little of Murnane beyond his critical reputation, and I have not yet read the book, but it has been on the shelf since January, and I am keen to discover what the critics saw in it.

message 33: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Hugh wrote: "To be honest, I know little of Murnane beyond his critical reputation, and I have not yet read the book, but it has been on the shelf since January, and I am keen to discover what the critics saw i..."

Fair enough, I also DNF "Lincoln in the Bardo" and "Milkman"... I am thrilled that last year, I picked , as a Masterpiece, "The Overstory".. Just won Pulitzer for Fiction. Each to their own.