The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Genre Discussions > Scandinavian mysteries that are NOT noir!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha | 3 comments Does anyone know of any Nordic/ Scandinavian mystery writers who are not writing "noir" books, where the setting, the characters and the crimes are all so bleak and gruesome I can't stand any more. Any "lighter" mysteries set in Scandinavia, even in the "cosy" genre?

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha | 3 comments Thank you, Thomas! It sounds very promising!

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1470 comments Martha wrote: "Thank you, Thomas! It sounds very promising!"

:)

message 5: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 218 comments You may also like this one: Quicksand: A Novel by Malin Persson Giolito. It's certainly not a "cosy mystery", but I don't think you'll find it bleak and gruesome either.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1470 comments I looked through my Scandinavian shelf and found another that you might like. The Frozen Woman
In my review, I classified it "a cerebral mystery." see
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My GR profile is open to GR members if you want to look at other books on that shelf.

message 7: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments Martha,
An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good is very much in the cozy line. Also, Maria Lang’s books are supposedly more old-fashioned, more Golden Age detective — I bought one but haven’t read it yet. Death Awaits Thee

And Jörn Lier Horst’s William Wisting Series are pretty straightforward police procedurals with an easygoing detective...not too much gore and Wisting isn’t afflicted with the tortuous personal problems some Scandi detectives have! ; )
Dregs

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha | 3 comments Thanks to everyone for these suggestions! I am looking for them all and may be ordering copies for my library soon!