Victorians! discussion

Our Mutual Friend
This topic is about Our Mutual Friend
Archived Group Reads 2019 > Our Mutual Friend: Week 8: Chapter XV (Book 3) to Chapter IV (Book 4)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1028 comments Mod
We’re nearing the end of the story now, and some interesting developments are certainly taking place, as love blooms on one side and intrigue deepens for some while comes to an end for others.

The Lammles tale-telling has had its desired effect (in fact more than they’d bargained for) as Mr Boffin gives John Rokesmith a piece of his mind, and Rokesmith decides to reveal that he had in fact taken employment with the Boffins in the first place for Bella’s sake alone. Rokesmith loses his job, but this ‘showdown’ leads Bella to finally express her feelings as she declares her contempt for what Mr Boffin has now become, eschews any money that he may want to bestow on her, and arrives at Rumty’s office, where Rokesmith also appears and Bella finally confesses how she feels about him. I loved this little scene with the three ‘hobgoblins’ enjoying there penceworths of milk and cottage loaves together. Lavinia and Mrs Wilfer of course react as expected, and one is glad Bella decided to keep her plans between herself and Rumty.

Meanwhile ‘society’ is as quick to drop the Lammles as it was in picking them up, and in yet another of those dinners at the Veneerings where we meet our old friends, Lady Tippins, Mr Twemlow, Mortimer and Eugene and of course the Podsnaps among the other staples, we see Dickens once again looking at these ‘greats’ many of whom have acquired their wealth from speculation (This part reminded me of a Trollope book, The Way We Live Now where the Melmoths’ wealth came from the same ‘shaky’ source). But by the end of the party, Mr Dolls has been found and is brought to Eugene and Lizzie’s whereabouts are finally known to him.

He sets off by the river (has he given sufficient thought to Headstone, one wonders), but Headstone is on his trail. Now on vacation and even more obsessed than before, he is free to tail Eugene day and night. Not only that, he has thought things through and whatever he has planned, assault or murder, he has taken steps to ensure that all blame falls on Rogue Riderhood, now a lockkeeper. But Riderhood has caught onto this. What will this mean for Bradley? Meanwhile, Eugene has located Lizzie and spoken with her. Has he unthinkingly led Headstone right up to her? Or is all of this part of a plan?

The Lammles are trying their luck once again, to take Rokesmith and Bella’s places in the Boffin household, but this is another of their schemes that backfire as while Mr Boffin is happy to pay them for their services, he certainly has no intentions of ‘hiring’ either. At the Boffins we see also that Georgiana Podsnapp continues to be a true friend to Mrs Lammle bringing her all her little savings and jewellery which Mr Boffin will ensure gets back to her. The Lammles know their game is up and the only course left to them is to head abroad.

Mr Boffin may have warded off the Lammles but another patch of bad luck awaits him as Wegg begins to put his plans in action. Wegg is a bit much asserting claims to the Bower (on what ground, one might ask?) and trying to get two-thirds of the Boffin property. While Mr B knew all from Mr Venus, he seems to (almost too) meekly give in. Does this mean there was something to this hidden will? Or is this part of a plan to rid himself of Wegg once and for all? There would have been little point in having known what was coming from before if he was meekly going to give in, was there?

Our segment this week ends on a happy note however, as Bella and Rokesmith are married, Bella given away by Rumty, and the celebrations taking place at the same hotel where Bella had treated her father when she was ‘rich’. Bella makes sure to save Rumty from any unpleasantness at home writing to her mother about the wedding so that she doesn’t vent her anger on the poor Cherub. But what when the truth about Rokesmith is revealed?

So at least someone, well, three someones are happy at the end of this segment while for others, trouble and uncertainly continues. What did you think of this week’s chapters?

message 2: by Piyangie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piyangie | 780 comments Mod
Finally Rokesmith and Bella are united. I sensed that this would happen in the last segment. It is really a happy note to the story.

message 3: by Piyangie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mr. Boffin shows his worse. I really pity Mrs. Boffin. So both Rokesmith and Bella leave. Without the protection of Rokesmith I thought Boffin might fall victim to Lammles. Seems I'm wrong. Mr. Boffin is more sharp and shrewd than I thought. As much as I dislike Boffin, I'm glad that all plans of Lammles were thwarted. It is high time they learn a good lesson.

message 4: by Piyangie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

So Eugene finally learns Lizzy's whereabouts and decides to seek her out. Headstone discreetly follows him. I have a very uneasy feeling regarding this development. I worry for both Lizzy and Eugene. I hope there won't be any foul play.

message 5: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (last edited Apr 14, 2019 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piyangie wrote: "Finally Rokesmith and Bella are united. I sensed that this would happen in the last segment. It is really a happy note to the story."

Yes, there were strong indications, weren't there? I really liked the scene in Rumty's office--even more than the actual wedding.

message 6: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piyangie wrote: "Mr. Boffin shows his worse. I really pity Mrs. Boffin. So both Rokesmith and Bella leave. Without the protection of Rokesmith I thought Boffin might fall victim to Lammles. Seems I'm wrong. Mr. Bof..."

Same here--Mrs Lammle showed her human side once again when it came to Georgiana--and this time in front of her husband. But luckily he doesn't seem to have guessed that their initial plans were thwarted because of her actions.

message 7: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piyangie wrote: "So Eugene finally learns Lizzy's whereabouts and decides to seek her out. Headstone discreetly follows him. I have a very uneasy feeling regarding this development. I worry for both Lizzy and Eugen..."

I can't tell whether Eugene has thought things through--he has been leading Headstone in a dance so far, but in the excitement of having found Lizzie, I hope he has accounted for the danger Headstone poses.

message 8: by Nina (last edited Apr 29, 2019 05:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina Clare | 135 comments Ooh, wonder how everything is going to play out?

Boffin's meek behaviour to Wegg seemed odd, as Lady C says - what was the point of Venus warning him if it didn't change anything? I wonder if the meekness is real or if he's got something up his sleeve?
I'm a bit puzzled by Venus, and not sure what his motive was for telling Boffin - is Venus a good guy or not?

And is Rokesmith going to claim his inheritance through necessity, should Boffin lose it...or not? Will Bella have a Cinderella HEA and get the man and the money? Or is Dickens going to stick to his theme of money being a corrupter and leave them content in their little cottage?

I imagine Mrs Boffin would have no problem going back to her old home, I don't think the money has made her happy, quite the reverse, I think she'd sooner have Mr B back to his old self.

message 9: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina wrote: "Ooh, wonder how everything is going to play out?

Boffin's meek behaviour to Wegg seemed odd, as Lady C says - what was the point of Venus warning him if it didn't change anything? I wonder if the..."

Getting exciting, isn't it? Mr Boffin has to be up to something though one can't guess what at this point or how Venus will help him--from his behaviour so far, I don't think he'll be a turncoat.

I'll agree there--I think Mrs Boffin would much prefer as simpler life as would Mr Boffin (even if he may not immediately approve the change, but eventually yes).

message 10: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited May 03, 2019 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 12 comments Aloha,

I enjoyed this book! It was hard to read for it was sad. However, that is probably due to me. Meaning sadder things get to me more then it used to. I am at the end. I hope to be done this weekend. Mahalo with your patience!

Be well,
RM
🇺🇸🐾

message 11: by Lady Clementina, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Aloha,

I enjoyed this book! It was hard to read for it was sad. However, that is probably due to me. Meaning sadder things get to me more then it used to. I am at the end. I hope to be done this w..."

Glad you are enjoying it. But things do turn out well at the end.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 12 comments Lady Clementina wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Aloha,

I enjoyed this book! It was hard to read for it was sad. However, that is probably due to me. Meaning sadder things get to me more then it used to. I am at the e..."

Mahalo! I still did not finish it. I should have say near the end. My apologies. I will finish it now. It not that I require books happy endings. It weird and I cannot properly explain it.

Be well,
RM
🇺🇸🐾