The Stars Below (Vega Jane, #4) The Stars Below discussion

Harry Two

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Hitchcock SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK

I'm a little confused about what happened to Harry Two and also his connection with Virgil. I figured there was that connection a while before it was revealed, but I'm still not sure what Virgil did and also why Harry Three showed up. It wasn't explained very well. Thanks!

message 2: by Jessica Rose (last edited Apr 18, 2019 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Rose SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK

I remember thinking the same after what happened to Harry Two, and especially during the scene in the Maladon castle when they found Virgil.

I would have loved if it was further discussed, and I don't think it was properly explained, but I believe it was something to do with 'Magic is born out of necessity'. Delph says towards the end of the book that 'I expect he came from love, Vega, your love.'

Harry/Harry Two and Harry Three all appeared when Vega needed him/them the most; maybe Virgil was initially something to do with it when he first left Vega in Wormwood, to keep an eye on her of sorts (see what I did there?), and then his magic just continued when she needed him the most.

It could also have been a magic similar to how wands are made, where the creator puts a part of themselves into it. That would explain the eye colour matching Virgils. It could just represent a 'part' of Virgil, or for all we know he could have a glass eye after sacrificing one of his own!

I'm going to wrap it up there because I'm just getting carried away now, but maybe the point was to not fully explain it. It does make it more magic that way, almost like a miracle, and Vega wouldn't be so distraught/overjoyed if she knew the meaning behind it.

Remember this is just my personal opinion, but I hope it helps!

Jennifer Hitchcock Thank you so much for your comment. I think your reasoning makes perfect sense. I guess authors sometimes leave loose ends so we can go on thinking about their books after reading them. :)

message 4: by Jessica Rose (last edited May 03, 2019 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Rose You're very welcome! (sorry for my late reply)

I completely agree, I love that the book was left with that little bit of magic; it really completed the series for me.

Here's hoping that Baldacci has caught the fantasy writing bug! I loved Vega's story and wasn't ready for it to end. I can't wait to see what else he has in store for us.

Jennifer Hitchcock Me, too!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stars Below (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Baldacci (other topics)