Support for Indie Authors discussion

Writers Workshop > Stuck for a Title

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments I'm writing a novella, a parallel to my paranormal urban fantasy/science fiction/romance mash-up The Underground but from the point of view of the elves, who barely figure in the novel.

The drama of The Underground concerns a demon serial killer, a 5th-dimensional entity summoned by a witch who is part of a faction fighting for equal rights for paranormals. It is intended that the demon's atrocities will spark a civil war between paranormals and humans.

Here's where the novella comes in: One of the victims is the daughter of the leader of Seattle's elven population. He mounts a lone effort to find his daughter's killer and while he's looking, the civil war breaks out. Realizing that under the circumstances his search for the killer is futile, he turns his attention to helping other paranormals to safety and makes a few dramatic rescues. The story has a fairly happy ending.

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a title. Elven Dreams is sticking in my head, and while that's a great title, it's definitely not the right title for this book. So based on what I've said about the story if any of you can help me figure out a title, I'd appreciate it.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (twindawnpublishing) | 11 comments Do you people have a name. Like in the DragonLance novels they have the Dargonesti, Silvinesti and a third that escapes my mind at the moment.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan LaBash | 24 comments Not sure from your write-up above, but maybe play off your other title. Since that was "The Underground", is this more:
- On the Surface
- Surface Spirits
- Elves Above Ground
- An Elf Rising
- Surface of Seattle

I know these are lame, focus on the Above Ground idea, not the actual titles...

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan LaBash | 24 comments Ooooo... brainwave, if this one is also underground, what about:
- Sunless in Seattle

I think you see where I was going there!!!

message 5: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments Dan wrote: "Not sure from your write-up above, but maybe play off your other title. Since that was "The Underground", is this more:
- On the Surface
- Surface Spirits
- Elves Above Ground
- An Elf Rising
..."

Thanks for the idea, Dan! Appreciate it!

message 6: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments Dan wrote: "Ooooo... brainwave, if this one is also underground, what about:
- Sunless in Seattle

I think you see where I was going there!!!"

Cute!

message 7: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments Molly wrote: "Do you people have a name. Like in the DragonLance novels they have the Dargonesti, Silvinesti and a third that escapes my mind at the moment."

No, not like that. But the hero has a surname--Drummond. I might be able to do something with that. Thanks for your input!

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah Reise | 350 comments I would suggest choosing a title that was born from purely your imagination and relating to something important in the book. You seem to be on the right track. The right title will call out to you. It’s important to have confidence in your ability to make your story special, to you foremost, and to the right audience. I think the same goes for the title. You want to go with something that ‘you chose’ feels right, that way you can always look back and know your work was born from solely your mind, your creation. Only you know what feels right for your baby.

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I like "Elven Dreams." :) But if you don't think it's the right title, maybe something like "Drummond's War."

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly (twindawnpublishing) | 11 comments Roxanne wrote: No, not like that. But the hero has a surname--Drummond. I might be able to do something with that

"

I really like the surname. I think it would work well in a title. Good luck

message 11: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments Leah wrote: "I would suggest choosing a title that was born from purely your imagination and relating to something important in the book. You seem to be on the right track. The right title will call out to you...."

Thanks for the advice!

message 12: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments M.L. wrote: "I like "Elven Dreams." :) But if you don't think it's the right title, maybe something like "Drummond's War.""

That has a nice ring to it!

message 13: by Tony (new)

Tony Blenman | 90 comments Elves might not figure much in your novella, but something with elves could still be in the title. Mockingbirds are not featured in "To Kill a Mockingbird."
What about,
" Elven Uprising," or "Fiery Demons?"

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Higby | 1 comments I like playing off your first title. Your title dilemma is the perfect opportunity to poll your fans & followers and give them buy-in.

message 15: by Jannik (last edited Apr 18, 2019 09:51AM) (new)

Jannik (jann1k) | 19 comments If the daughter of the protagonist is a big motivation for him maybe focus on her in the title to giver her influence a bit more emphasis. For example, if she is the sixth victim of the demonic killer you could go for something like this:

The Sixth Victim - An Underground Novella

message 16: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments Thank you all so much for your wonderful suggestions! They have given me many ideas, so I'm sure to hit on a title soon!