Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Pagination with separate story footers in MS Word

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments Dear Friends,

I just joined the group, so I am not sure if you have covered this topic in the past.

I am publishing my first collection of stories. I have tried to put in different footers to reflect the story names with the page numbers for each short story, but when I compile the document in KDP, the pagination is off. I insert section and page breaks. I start the pagination count over again for each story section.

(I have tried using Scrivener and got a migraine.)

What software do you use to paginate your manuscripts this way? Do you use MS Word or something else or a service?

I am also using Ingram for the first time, as opposed to KDP, so I don't know what a mess that will be.

Thank you in advance!

Jesú Estrada

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 30 comments That's odd... I use MS Word for my novels, and use page breaks for chapters. I don't think I've ever noticed the pagination being off when publishing with KDP.

Can you elaborate on what exactly you are seeing? Do you see page numbers being skipped? Is it an odd page/even page thing?

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments I think I got it to work, finally. I have to upload the manuscript to KDP again to check the pages. I switched to a *.doc, and that worked except for one section, so I probably messed up the section.

If it doesn't work, I'm trying a *.pdf next. I have never done that before, so we will see.

Thank you again,

Jesú

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay Greenstein (jaygreenstein) | 233 comments In general, Kindle, and Smashwords don't want you to use pagination or headers. Remember, the number of words per page for a given reader is a function of that reader's screen size and your choice for how large the print will be. But Word's page numbers are static, a function of the paper size you choose, modified by margins you set and text size and font used. They bear no connection to the page you're reading if your reader is your phone, or the same story on a, iPad.

message 5: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
Yeah, forcing page numbers for e-books makes little sense.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments It's not an ebook. It's a printed book.

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 129 comments You need to get with Joel Friedlander's Book Design Templates. I just started using it for my most recent book and could kick myself for paying a guy to format my last book. It was expensive he was a bit of a slacker.

You can check on youtube for videos- put in "book design templates" in the Search bar, and a bunch pop up, but the training video you need is "Complete Book Formatting How-To Guide for Word Templates".

I might be exaggerating, but I think this product has changed my life!

message 8: by Grea (new)

Grea Alexander (greaalexander) I've done the renumber each story (in a single volume collection) before with Amazon Print.

Please note: Your issues may have nothing at all to do with Word.

My experience was this:

Amazon didn't like it when I gave each work its own page numbers/footers (despite having no issues with such formatting when print was conducted through Create Space) and so "the system" kept auto-rejecting my work. Even titles that were previously published that way, that I only made a few tweaks to, were no longer acceptable under the new regime.

I went back and forth with KDP Print customer service numerous times receiving the whole: "Oh, we see. It's more than one title in a single volume. Ok, it should be fixed now, resubmit." thing only to have it automatically rejected over and over again for...having the page numbering/footers restart for each new work. Try as they did, they could not figure out how to override the auto-vetting.

I eventually grew tired of going in circles and now no longer sell any of my multiple work volumes/collections on Amazon.

Could they have fixed this issue since (as this was months ago)?

Sure. But who knows?

Thinking on it, these latest issues may also be an "improvement" to the auto-vetter/uploader to "crack down" on the practice or "fix these "errors"".

Your best bet is to ask Amazon Customer Service if the disallowance of the same is still ongoing.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments Thank you Eileen,

I will defnitely check the video out.

Jesu
Eileen wrote: "You need to get with Joel Friedlander's Book Design Templates. I just started using it for my most recent book and could kick myself for paying a guy to format my last book. It was expensive he was..."

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments You know, I've never noticed if self-published books on Amazon have the sub sections. I just wanted my book to look more professional.

So, where do you sell you books now? Ingram or Lulu?

That is really good to know. Thank you so much, Grea.

Jesú

Grea wrote: "I've done the renumber each story (in a single volume collection) before with Amazon Print.

Please note: Your issues may have nothing at all to do with Word.

My experience was this:

Amazon didn'..."

message 11: by Peter (last edited Apr 15, 2019 11:18PM) (new)

Peter (pdinuk) | 77 comments I've generally managed section pagination in MS Word, as long as I worked carefully, with 'show paragraph marks etc' on, and didn't try to second-guess the system. However, I too am a fan of Book Design Templates, which make it easier. I hadn't noticed that they cover restarting numbering for sections, but it shouldn't be too difficult inside the template.
However, I do use a print-ready PDF (PDF/X....) for a KDP paperback. You have to do so for Ingram, so I use the same file for both. This will retain any page numbering you have set up. You need to have the full version of Adobe Acrobat for this, though.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Estrada (drmariajestrada) | 6 comments Thank you Peter,

I think I've made my peace with just using the name of the collection, instead of individual story titles in the footer.

I will definitely keep both of these bits of info in mind I just got the Adobe suite a few weeks back, and I think it has the full Adobe Acrobat. I may try that as a last resort, but if it doesn't work out, fine.

Jesu

Peter wrote: "I've generally managed section pagination in MS Word, as long as I worked carefully, with 'show paragraph marks etc' on, and didn't try to second-guess the system. However, I too am a fan of Book D..."