Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Additions to Librarian Manual > Hierarchy for sources for page numbering

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 458 comments Hello
I've been a sporadic librarian over the past few years, but got back into it today with a few cover updates and page numbering requests. However, I was told by another librarian that we don't use amazon for page numbering, and should be referring to WorldCat first.

I wasn't aware of this, so I suggest that if this is official guidance to librarians, then it should be in the librarian manual.

Thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments Amazon is an acceptable source for page numbers and, in fact, is the only source allowed for Kindle editions. The publisher is the only source for ebooks. For physical books, Worldcat is a more reliable source for physical books and book in hand is the most reliable. If adding/changing page counts to a record, just be sure to add a comment as to your source so that another librarian will know your source.

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 458 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amazon is an acceptable source for page numbers and, in fact, is the only source allowed for Kindle editions. The publisher is the only source for ebooks. For physical books, Worldcat is a more rel..."

This is great information, thanks! SHould be detailed in the guidance for librarians though IMO

message 4: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 11, 2019 07:02AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments I took note of the correction request earlier from amazon in another thread. I should clarify the above that when correcting existing page counts amazon should probably not be used. It can be used for adding page counts to editions where no page counts exists or for adding editions.

message 5: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10663 comments For ebooks see also this thread from last year https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...?