Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Looking to swap for an 88K YA fantasy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Tullos | 2 comments Hi, I've got a completed draft of a story that's gone through plenty of personal edits and now needs another set of eyes. It's a YA story about a young man in a fantasy world who fights to reclaim his home country from those who took it over when he was a child. I'm looking for general feedback and ways to improve on it.

Summary:
Julius Essex is a survivor.

Thirteen years ago the Revolution came to Westerly. The king was overthrown, his family slaughtered, and a new tyrant put up in his place. Julius and his family fled.

When he crosses the wrong nobleman, Julius is again left without a home. All he has is a rifle, a talent for aether burning, and an old book. He's forced to flee back to the land of his birth, and ends up in Whitecliff, the last free corner of the country. At first he's unsure about his role in everything. But when he sees the reign of terror that has engulfed Westerly he knows one thing: It's time to fight back.

This book is aimed more at young men than women, though obviously everyone can enjoy it if they'd like. There's also a lot of lore in the setting of the story (I have a whole map that I'll send to you if you agree to swap), so if that's not something you're into then this might not be your cup of tea. I'm open to swap with just about any sort of work, though I'd prefer something that's also fantastical, that way I know we have similar interests and we fall into each other's target audience.

Warning: This book is very violent, don't read it if you're squeamish about that sort of thing.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Partin | 8 comments This sounds interesting. I have a 93k YA Fantasy novel that takes place in a world with superheroes about a young woman who gets powers of her own. Wanna swap?

message 3: by James (new)

James Tullos | 2 comments Hi, Rebecca, thanks for your interest but someone else messaged me before you.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Partin | 8 comments Alright, well if you ever need an extra set of eyes, let me know.