Aussie Readers discussion

Archive Personal Challenges 2019 > Alex's attempt to reduce the TBR mountain

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone | 314 comments A latecomer to this thread, I started out with the intention of reading 2 from the TBR mtn for every new book read or added. To date I have read 30 (4 new) 3 DNF and added 21 so am sliding inexorably backwards.

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68387 comments Mod
Haha! Don't we all Alex!! Good luck with it - perhaps if you list them and cross them off as they're read (much like others of us do) it might help :)

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1802 comments Yup, the eternal slide down the mountain of to-read... keep working at it though :)

message 4: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 210 comments Ha ha......happens to all of us. Don’t stress, just enjoy whatever you decide to read 🤗

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone | 314 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Ha ha......happens to all of us. Don’t stress, just enjoy whatever you decide to read 🤗"

I like your sentiments. Interestingly I got an email from my sister in England re one of my DNF (Woman in the Window). The "author" is an executive at the publishing house who launched it, and he was sprung for plagiarism.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone | 314 comments Brenda wrote: "Haha! Don't we all Alex!! Good luck with it - perhaps if you list them and cross them off as they're read (much like others of us do) it might help :)"

I have them listed by date/year added and try to slough off as many of the earlier ones as I can, but too many interesting ones turn up.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone | 314 comments Deborah wrote: "Yup, the eternal slide down the mountain of to-read... keep working at it though :)"

I'm too addicted not to.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4396 comments Good luck and happy reading, Alex!

message 9: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 246 comments Alex wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Ha ha......happens to all of us. Don’t stress, just enjoy whatever you decide to read 🤗"

I like your sentiments. Interestingly I got an email from my sister in England re one o..."

I also DNFed this one. You're not alone.

message 10: by Icewineanne (last edited Apr 10, 2019 10:54PM) (new)

Icewineanne | 210 comments Alex wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Ha ha......happens to all of us. Don’t stress, just enjoy whatever you decide to read 🤗"

I like your sentiments. Interestingly I got an email from my sister in England re one o..."

Not surprised that you didn’t finish this one Alex. The New Yorker ran an exposé on Finn. After reading it, I refuse to read anything he writes.

The article said that apparently Finn has lied for years about so much, told co-workers at Little Brown about his in-operable brain tumour (from looking after his mother when she was ill) - no brain tumour - said his brother has committed suicide (he’s very much alive), lied about his Oxford degree (dnf),........he’s a perpetual liar......they compared him to Highsmith’s Tom Ripley 🙀

All of this is rather shocking

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68387 comments Mod
Yes I read all that too Anne - I have that book on my shelf which I doubt now that I'll ever read. Another one for the trash when you have people such as him...

message 12: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 114 comments I read Woman in the Window soon after it was published and b4 the scandal. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would still recommend it. Actually got the impression, at the time, that it was written by a woman. If all they say about the author is true, he obviously has complex mental health issues and needs help...perhaps he will get it now.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (goodreadscomsusanaustralia) | 427 comments I enjoyed The Woman in the Window, and like Trish L, I had the impression that it was written by a woman.

If anyone wants to read the New Yorker expose, here's the link. The author of that article, Ian Parker, is a guest at this year's Sydney Writers' Festival, where he will talk about "piecing together his article, the relationship between truthfulness and fiction, and the uncomfortable questions Mallory’s ascent raises about the publishing industry". Sounds interesting!