The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

50 views
Have a Chat! > What Books/series have you been procrastinating about?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Out of curiosity, what books or series have you guys been procrastinating about starting or finishing??

I've been procrastinating Cassandra Clare's series The Mortal Instruments, mainly because it's so popular and everyone's already read it.


message 2: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 406 comments The Luminaries because it's bloody massive. I can never bring myself to actually pick it up.

I've also been meaning to do rereads of Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series and Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle for years.


message 3: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating."

I've been so tempted to start Outlander, but you're right about those books being intimidating!!


message 4: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "The Luminaries because it's bloody massive. I can never bring myself to actually pick it up.

I've also been meaning to do rereads of Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series and Christopher ..."


I hadn't heard of The Luminaries, what genre is the series?


message 5: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 406 comments LaNona wrote: "Cendaquenta wrote: "I hadn't heard of The Luminaries, what genre is the series? "

The Luminaries isn't a series, it's a 800-page-ish standalone. It's literary/historical fiction, with maybe some magical-realism elements - I believe the characters are meant to represent zodiac signs or something? It seems like it'll be a bit of a mindbender.


message 6: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "LaNona wrote: "Cendaquenta wrote: "I hadn't heard of The Luminaries, what genre is the series? "

The Luminaries isn't a series, it's a 800-page-ish standalone. It's literary/historical fiction, wi..."


You've talked me into adding it to my TBR lol, it sounds really interesting!


message 7: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
Cendaquenta wrote: "LaNona wrote: "Cendaquenta wrote: "I hadn't heard of The Luminaries, what genre is the series? "

The Luminaries isn't a series, it's a 800-page-ish standalone. It's literary/historical fiction, wi..."


woah that sounds both intriguing and intimidating


message 8: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 406 comments ~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "woah that sounds both intriguing and intimidating "

yuuuup


message 9: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Main Procrastinator (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 2252 comments Mod
Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating."

OMG I've been procrastinating on those too! I need to read the Fiery Cross next and it's...so big.

I have some other series I need to finish too, and this is going to be the year I do it
The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin Archenemies (Renegades, #2) by Marissa Meyer Legend Has It (Pax Arcana, #5) by Elliott James The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4) by Django Wexler

Plus all the series I want to start <3
The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire, #1) by Melissa Caruso The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #1) by Seth Dickinson Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1) by Fonda Lee The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1) by J.Y. Yang Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1) by Zen Cho Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel


message 10: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 406 comments I need to read Stone Sky too.
I thoroughly recommend The Black Tides of Heaven and Sorceror to the Crown! Looking forward to finally reading Jade City as well - I'll probably get to that at the end of summer, before Worldcon.


message 11: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating."

OMG I've been procrastinating on tho..."


that's a lot :0

Go laurel!!!


message 12: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Main Procrastinator (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 2252 comments Mod
Cendaquenta wrote: "I need to read Stone Sky too.
I thoroughly recommend The Black Tides of Heaven and Sorceror to the Crown! Looking forward to finally reading Jade City as well - I'll probably get to that at the end..."


Yay! I'm looking to get back into Adult SFF and wean away from YA SFF (mostly because a lot of it has been trope-heavy, bland and poorly edited). I'm SUPER EXCITED about Black Tides and Sorcerer though!


message 13: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Main Procrastinator (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 2252 comments Mod
~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating...."

lol thanks! I think that if I get ahead enough in my ARCs I can make September into Sci-Fi September and October into Owned-Books October I might be able to finally read these. Right now my reading schedule is pretty packed through July.


message 14: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick bo..."

I love those month themes XD good luck procrastinator <3


message 15: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating."

OMG I've been procrastinating on tho..."


Archenemies is on my list too, it took me forever to read Renegades!


message 16: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Main Procrastinator (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 2252 comments Mod
LaNona wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books are intimidating...."

I loved Renegades! And yet...still haven't picked up Archenemies


message 17: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "LaNona wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Angie wrote: "I think the series I'm most procrastinating with right now is the Outlander series. I love the show, but man those thick books ar..."

Exactly! I'm excited about it, but I'm kinda worried about the characters I love so I keep putting it off lol!


message 18: by Camden (new)

Camden Johnson (blurrysleeps) | 58 comments I've been procrastinating from reading "Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children" I have no reason why but I just can't seem to pick it up and read it as fast as other books :/


message 19: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Camden wrote: "I've been procrastinating from reading "Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children" I have no reason why but I just can't seem to pick it up and read it as fast as other books :/"

Yass!! I've got a copy on my shelf and a friend loved it, but I just haven't picked it up! It's literally been on my TBR for like three years.


message 20: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Does anyone else just start a book series and love it- but never get around to reading the next book??


message 21: by Nikita (new)

Nikita oh never, If I love a book and it belongs to a series I finish the series. Unless the next book isn't out yet than I wait


message 22: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Nikita wrote: "oh never, If I love a book and it belongs to a series I finish the series. Unless the next book isn't out yet than I wait"

I've done that with only two or three book series that I can remember! (The lunar chronicles, Divergent series, and Heroes of Olympus.)
I started the Grisha trilogy and I really liked it, but I still can't seem to get myself to pick up the sequel!


message 23: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 406 comments LaNona wrote: "Does anyone else just start a book series and love it- but never get around to reading the next book??"

Yeahhhh. Not like I don't want to finish series, either, it's just I can only fit so many books into my time...


message 24: by Nikita (new)

Nikita LaNona wrote: "Nikita wrote: "oh never, If I love a book and it belongs to a series I finish the series. Unless the next book isn't out yet than I wait"

I've done that with only two or three book series that I c..."


Oh I love Six of Crows. So awesome. And King of Scars *scream*


message 25: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Nikita wrote: "LaNona wrote: "Nikita wrote: "oh never, If I love a book and it belongs to a series I finish the series. Unless the next book isn't out yet than I wait"

I've done that with only two or three book ..."


Really?? They're both on my TBR, but I haven't read them yet!!


message 26: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "LaNona wrote: "Does anyone else just start a book series and love it- but never get around to reading the next book??"

Yeahhhh. Not like I don't want to finish series, either, it's just I can only..."


Exactly! Or I'm worried about if I won't like it as much. There have been some series that were ruined for me because of the sequel :(


message 27: by Lucia (new)

Lucia | 9 comments Harry Potter :(


message 28: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
Lucia wrote: "Harry Potter :("

;(

you can do it!! it's worth it in the end ;)


message 29: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Lucia wrote: "Harry Potter :("

Honestly, it took me years to get through all the books- and that was after they were all already published! We're cheering you on!


message 30: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Lucia wrote: "Harry Potter :("

Harry Potter is a must read. There may be tears along the way but it's worth it. I read the series during the summer in 2016 for the first time. Can't believe it took me that long to read the books.


message 31: by mysticofworlds (new)

mysticofworlds | 154 comments Lucia wrote: "Harry Potter :("

It's a great series, but I have to admit it did take some time to get through. I still haven't read Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child


message 32: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Serena F. wrote: "Lucia wrote: "Harry Potter :("

It's a great series, but I have to admit it did take some time to get through. I still haven't read Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child"


I've read Cursed Child- and it's really good!! I have not gotten into Fantastic Beasts yet though.


message 33: by Lucia (new)

Lucia | 9 comments yes, I am very well aware I NEED to read HP, it is just so hard to start.. but thank you for all the motivation you gave me haha


message 34: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Lucia wrote: "yes, I am very well aware I NEED to read HP, it is just so hard to start.. but thank you for all the motivation you gave me haha"

Have you tried audiobooks? The ones narrated by Jim Dale? He's amazing in bringing the books to life. If you have one book you are currently reading you can also listen to HP on the road, workout, cleaning, etc.


message 35: by Sami (new)

Sami (indulgentreaders) I have been procrastinating on a couple of series but I think the worst transgression is Game of Thrones. I have not even watched the TV series because I don't want to ruin the books!!

The Audiobook of Harry Potter is on Youtube I believe, audio books can be really useful when trying to do the housework!


message 36: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Sam wrote: "I have been procrastinating on a couple of series but I think the worst transgression is Game of Thrones. I have not even watched the TV series because I don't want to ruin the books!!

The Audiob..."


SAME!! My own mother is has watched the series (she hasn't read the books though), and I just... haven't done anything xD


message 37: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
I've been procrastinating about the Renegades series

it's pretty hyped and I'm scared that I would be disappointed


message 38: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
I love the Game of Thrones of TV show!! I haven't read the books but I'm told they're pretty different plot-wise


message 39: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments ~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "I love the Game of Thrones of TV show!! I haven't read the books but I'm told they're pretty different plot-wise"

They are!! You can't read the books to find out the ending of the show, they had to change things because the author took a few breaks and I think still hasn't published the last book yet. So the show has to complete it their way, because they can't go off the book that's not even made yet lol


message 40: by Nikita (new)

Nikita ~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "I love the Game of Thrones of TV show!! I haven't read the books but I'm told they're pretty different plot-wise"

I love the show too and would love to read the books just to see the difference from show/books but I'm waiting until all the books are out. Even if it takes years.


message 41: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
I feel the same way!! haha :”)


message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah S. (wildreader143) | 171 comments There are many of them
Harry Potter
Red Queen
The mortal Instruments


message 43: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Amelia wrote: "There are many of them
Harry Potter
Red Queen
The mortal Instruments"


I still haven't read any of Casandra Clare's books!


message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie (love---katie) | 551 comments I've been putting off Six of Crows HARD. First, I had to read the Grisha Trilogy because I need to read things in publication order, even though I KNEW I would find it mediocre (spoiler: I was right, except for the last book. The last book can get it).

And now because I've heard so many comparisons between SoC and The Gilded Wolves, I decided to read TGW first because I was pretty sure I'd like SoC better. And now I've still got 130 pages left if TGW and it's so horrendously boring, and I'm all fantasied out anyway.

Why do I get myself into these messes??


message 45: by LaNona (new)

LaNona | 76 comments Katie wrote: "I've been putting off Six of Crows HARD. First, I had to read the Grisha Trilogy because I need to read things in publication order, even though I KNEW I would find it mediocre (spo..."

Haha, I've been putting off reading Six of Crows until I finish the Grisha trilogy!


message 46: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (last edited May 18, 2019 08:17AM) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
I would definitely put off Six of Crows until after reading the Grish trilogy :) But I have to say that, in general, Six of Crows hit it off for me a lot more than the Grisha trilogy.. so just would like to say that if you didn't love the main trilogy that much, you don't need to be afraid of SoC!! <3


message 47: by Steph (new)


message 48: by LaNona (last edited May 19, 2019 09:44AM) (new)

LaNona | 76 comments @Selena I would read that series for the covers alone!! <3

@Steph It took me forever to read Renegades, but it's definitely worth it!! I'm too scared to read Shatter Me though...


message 49: by Reagan (new)

Reagan (reaganshonestreviews) Anne of Green Gables and Miss Peregrines School for Peculiar Children.
The sad thing is that for both series I had literally 1 book left when I gave up


message 50: by Henny (new)

Henny The "Temeraire" series by Naomi Novik. I read them years ago and I loved them so much because it was such an original and clever take on historical fiction. But than the eighth novel happened and I haven't touched it in 3 years. I still don't know what had happened between the seventh and the eighth novel but I DNFed not even 100 pages in and I'm so mad about that


« previous 1
back to top