NYRB Classics discussion

General > How Many NYRB Classics have you read?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Here is a list through 2017 that you can check off. Check it out and report back with your number. My results are measly: 13 of 479 books (3%) but I also read 5 others published after 2017. So 18 in all. I have a lot of catching up to do!!

http://portersquarebooksblog.blogspot...

message 2: by Randolph (last edited Apr 17, 2019 07:08PM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) 21:(

message 3: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments 22. I own 66 so far.

message 4: by Louise (new)

I won't mention how many I own. It's too embarrassing.

~ book hoarder

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments I’ve read 40 and own 66. Better than I thought!

message 6: by Hugh (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:11AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 24 comments I think I am on 33, but only 3 of these were actually in the NYRB Classics editions.

message 7: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 22 comments The link seems to be just the bookstore's top 10 nyrb books....?

I own 120 and have read at least 19, but possibly more that were not nyrb editions.

message 8: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 24 comments Liz M wrote: "The link seems to be just the bookstore's top 10 nyrb books....?

I own 120 and have read at least 19, but possibly more that were not nyrb editions."

Yes, the list itself is on the NYRB website.

message 9: by carissa (new)

carissa The link took me to someone's top 10, not a list. Is there a link to a list that I'm missing?

I thought Trevor made a document/list awhile back...pretty sure I saved it in my google.docs. Yep, on Trevor's list I've read 29 out of 514. I have a lot of good reading to look forward to!

message 10: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments I don’t know how I got it, but I received a complete 2018-2019 catalogue in the mail. I had the 2016 catalogue. I think it came when I ordered a book from them.

message 11: by Liz M (last edited Apr 09, 2019 06:44PM) (new)

Liz M | 22 comments WndyJW wrote: "I don’t know how I got it, but I received a complete 2018-2019 catalogue in the mail. I had the 2016 catalogue. I think it came when I ordered a book from them."

Check and see if your complete catalog contains The Glass Bees. The paper catalogs I've picked up at the Brooklyn Book Festival are for their in-print books -- they doesn't list editions that are out of print such as the TGB.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Adams (kadams22) | 20 comments Louise, you are making my week with these lists...👍📚🙏

I own 170 (I'm counting Anniversaries as 1 (obviously) and I think I've read about 125.

message 13: by Louise (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:22PM) (new)

Okay, I`ll fess up because I`m in good company here. I own 72 paperbacks, and 64 ebooks (some are doubled though).

Kevin, so far you seem to be the one with the largest collection. Bravo.

message 14: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments I have read 66 (currently reading number 67) - a handful of them published after 2017 - and own 185.

message 15: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 24 comments NYRB Classics tend only to reach British bookshops if the books have no other British edition.

The authors who appear more than once on my list are Kingsley Amis, J.G. Farrell, Patrick Leigh Fermor, Henry Green, Vasily Grossman, Tove Jansson, Magda Szabo and John Williams.

message 16: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
I do have a handy checklist I will update and put here. The link is out there in another thread, but it is current only through last summer, so there are going to be another 30 or so I'll need to include.

message 17: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments Liz M wrote: "WndyJW wrote: "I don’t know how I got it, but I received a complete 2018-2019 catalogue in the mail. I had the 2016 catalogue. I think it came when I ordered a book from them."

Check and see if yo..."

Nope, no The Glass Bees. Apparently it should not be called nyrb Classics 2019 Complete Catalog.

message 18: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments Kevin wrote: "Louise, you are making my week with these lists...👍📚🙏

I own 170 (I'm counting Anniversaries as 1 (obviously) and I think I've read about 125."

I agree! Why do so many book lovers seem to have a fondness for lists?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 38 comments I’ve read 62. I didn’t know Glass Bees wasn’t in catalogue anymore. What else is gone? There was a Walser I read from the library that I don’t see listed anywhere anymore.
I sort of have um...well...a whole lot.

message 20: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
It took me a bit, but I have put together a checklist I will be updating frequently. Here is the thread where that will be housed.

This probably has some errors, but I hope you can help me spot any. It does have The Glass Bees, which is still being sold by NYRB Classics so it doesn't look like they've lost the rights. The Walser book you may be thinking of, Sarah, is probably Selected Stories, which they lost the rights to a few years ago.

It looks like I have read 110 and own 279. I've got a lot of work to do!

message 21: by sisilia (new)

sisilia (sisilia9) | 53 comments I have read 17 and own 77. I guess I am the baby in this group :D

message 22: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments Trevor wrote: "It looks like I have read 110 and own 279. I've got a lot of work to do!"

Me too. Hopefully I can increase the ratio of read to owned by the end of the year. :)

message 23: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments This group should get my number of nyrb read up by almost 12 at least. I couldn’t read Berlin Alexanderplatz and I had already read The Invention of Morel, but I’m looking forward to the books we have voted on for the next few months.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 38 comments Guys! Just got an email from NYRB that ALL of their titles are on sale through Saturday (July 13 2019)with free shipping if you spend $50- plus up your libraries ! To celebrate 20 years of NYRB.

I also just found out my local bookstore started an NYRB book club. This is just a wonderful day all of a sudden.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments Wow, a local NYRB book club! Very jealous...

message 26: by Antonia (new)

Antonia | 1 comments New to this conversation, I have only read 7, but with their sale now I am considering increasing the number.