Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Multi-Faceted March Reads 1/2

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Apr 08, 2019 03:36PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I always try to read different types of books, but don't always succeed as well as I hoped. This time I did.

1)Summer of the Mariposas by Guadelupe Garcia McCall (YA fantasy) 355 pages.
Source: Library Started: 2/28 Finished: 3/2

Why Read: Another GR group chose it as a BOM. It also sounded fascinating.

Comments: Teens in the Southwest U.S. find a dead body with ID and decide to return it to the family in Mexico. This turns out to be more complicated and risky than they imagined, but they receive help from Mexican mythological figures. The ending is lovely. I gave it a B+

2)Bones of the Earth by Eliot Pattison (Tibetan mystery) Source: Net Galley Started: 3/3 Finished: 3/9

Why Read: This is the last in a favorite series in which the detective is Chinese but sympathizes with Tibetans. I made time to read it because it was going to be released in March.

Comments: There are dead archaeologists at a site where a hydro-electric dam is supposed to be built. One of the archaeologists is American. Tibetans consider the area sacred, and there are unexplained phenomena taking place. There was some great characterization and I loved the Tibetan religious content. I gave it an A. I thought it was the best book of the month. See my review at
https://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/2...

3)Off Limits edited by Ellen Datlow (science fiction anthology) 316 pages Source: Library Started: 3/10 Finished: 3/10

Why Read: This was a BOM of a GR group for February and I was late in getting to it.

Comments: I liked only one story. I found many of the stories that I DNF'd repellent. I gave the anthology as a whole a C-

4)The Peddler of Wisdom by Laura Matthias Bendoly (historical fiction) Source: Author. I won it in a GR group's giveaway. Started: 3/10 Finished: 3/19

Why Read: It sounded interesting. The central character is a healer and Tarot reader in 17th century France.

Comments: The protagonist becomes a rebel when her village is taken over by foreigners. She and other characters who rebelled were inspiring. I had some issues which caused me to give it a B- See my review at https://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/2...

To be continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Shomeret: you do have a nice variety here! Nice month!
I have Summer of the Mariposas in print out from the library, hoping I'll be able to squeeze it in.
Shomeret wrote: "I always try to read different types of books, but don't always succeed as well as I hoped. This time I did.

1)Summer of the Mariposas by Guadelupe Garcia McCall (YA fantasy) 355 ..."