CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Threads > Week 15- Libraries and Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 691 comments Mod
Did everyone enjoy the nice weather this weekend (or at least on Sunday)? I hope you all were able to go out and do something fun!

What is everyone reading this week? As predicted, I read nothing on my whirlwind trip. So I still have all of last week's books to conquer. Though I did finish The Magnificent Nine over the weekend.

Speaking of my whirlwind trip, I went to New York City to see the Tolkien exhibit at the Morgan Library and Museum. It was absolutely amazing (I cried).

While we were there, though, we also stopped by the public library! We went to the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building where the lion statues and the Rose Reading room are located. Such a beautiful building. We were lucky enough to just sit in the reading room for an hour, while waiting for another event to start. We even visited the actual public library part (it's a temporary home while they renovate the building across the street). The staff thought we were lost; we told them we worked a library back home and that we just wanted to see what theirs was like. I think they might have thought we were weird, lol.

Public libraries- a home away from home.

Do you like to visit libraries when you go out of town? Or bookstores? Do you have a favorite? Tell us about your favorite out-of-town libraries and bookstore memories!

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I miss the library in the small town we lived in in Ohio. It was an old church. Loved the setting.i would definitely visit a bookstore or library out of town. My son & husband visited NC State the other weekend & I made them promise to see that library. My son & I watched a video on the thought that went into the design process.

message 3: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha I remember the library of the town I grew up in in NJ was in the police station. The town built a separate library building down the street when I was in middle school and I thought it was wonderful! I was in NJ this past weekend and rode by the library-- and it looked so small! I didn't have a chance to drop in, though.

https://northbrunswicklibrary.org/

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 442 comments When we moved into the house where i grew up, the library was in a shopping center around the corner from the Publix. When i was in college (i think), they built a beautiful free standing library in among the other city buildings.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia Horigan | 3 comments I absolutely adore the Strand Bookstore in NYC, and I love the National Public Library in D.C. as well! I've always wanted to visit the Shakespeare and Company bookstore in Paris.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 691 comments Mod
Julia wrote: "I absolutely adore the Strand Bookstore in NYC, and I love the National Public Library in D.C. as well! I've always wanted to visit the Shakespeare and Company bookstore in Paris."

Hopefully you will get a chance to visit Shakespeare and Company. I got a chance to visit last year. It is such a cool bookstore.