Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Can't leave librarian note when removing cover image

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Quite a lot of my librarian activity is getting rid of those "no image available" placeholders when I notice them in passing, but for some editions (typically editions that won't be published for several months yet, or old out of print editions) there isn't a cover to replace them. When adding a cover it's fine to leave a note.

I'm not aware of problems resulting from this, but it would be better if it was possible for notes to work with cover deletion. (leaving a note but making no other changes - i.e. adding the note after the deletion - means the note doesn't save.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6559 comments Deleting stuff doesn't allow you to leave a comment - not just covers, but anything else - and you can't leave a comment when making work edits.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13563 comments You can always leave a librarian note, even when doing no edits at all. What you mean is you cannot add a change comment when deleting something :)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13013 comments In the past I have put another space at the end of a description as an "edit" and left a change comment about what I did in the previous edit.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments lethe wrote: "You can always leave a librarian note, even when doing no edits at all. What you mean is you cannot add a change comment when deleting something :)"

Not always - if there is no edit, the change note doesn't always "stick". To get around that, I usually do the delete, then make a minor change, write the note then save. That forces it to always retain the note close to the removal.

message 6: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Useful tip, Emily & Emy. Thanks.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13563 comments Emy wrote: "Not always - if there is no edit, the change note doesn't always "stick"."

Are you talking about the change comment, or the librarian note?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6559 comments As to the original post, when the "no image available" is about a pre-publication edition, I don't really see anything wrong with leaving it.

message 9: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "As to the original post, when the "no image available" is about a pre-publication edition, I don't really see anything wrong with leaving it."

I thought it blocked the feeds from replacing them automatically, whereas if there was no image, the feeds would add images when they next changed on Amazon.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13563 comments Antonomasia wrote: "I thought it blocked the feeds from replacing them automatically, whereas if there was no image, the feeds would add images when they next changed on Amazon."

I believe bots are "allowed" to replace pre-publication covers.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6559 comments I think bots change covers that are not user uploaded.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Bots are allowed to change covers that were added by the same feed, pre-publication.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6559 comments Thanks Rivka. I had forgotten that we got it changed that the bots wouldn't change covers after publication.