Genre Specific Review Groups discussion

Discussion > How does receiving a negative review make you feel?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 64 comments Question: how does it *feel* to you when you get a bad review?

I keep seeing posts pop up asking writers how they deal with bad reviews. I thought I'd write some advice our here.

I don't want to just dump the blog link, though. If you have any further advice, or if you disagree completely, or just want to chat, please do. :)

https://rhianwriting.wordpress.com/20...

message 2: by Michael (last edited Apr 08, 2019 04:45PM) (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 1 comments I have to admit, the hardest thing for me in publishing my first novel was wondering how I would handle one-star reviews and tough criticism.

After a couple of decent reviews, it didn't take long for that first one-star review to come in with the headline, "Boring, Unprofessional and Insulting". I was surprised to find out that instead of being humiliated by the review, I actually laughed my head off. It was a relief to know that my skin is thicker than I thought. In this case, I could tell that the bloke was trolling me, but OTOH, he actually found something significant that I had missed in editing. He thought it was intentional, but it was a total mistake that I was able to fix and republish as a second edition.

I consider that one-star review to be the most valuable I have ever received.

message 3: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 64 comments Ouch. Well, at least you know what's coming with a header like that.

A negative review with something valuable in it is, as you say, a useful review. And giggling is a good response.