2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
This topic is about Murder in Murray Hill
Murder in Murray Hill > Question H

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 07, 2019 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Grace recalls that the murderer was female, thinks it was Rose and tries to have Sarah give her a cryptic message that she won’t say anything. What did you think of her desire to protect Rose, especially since they acknowledged that they had some resentment towards each other during their captivity? Talk about Milo’s role in creating those feelings.

Phrynne | 592 comments I think what they felt in captivity was partly guilt at being grateful when Milo was using the other woman and not her. I assumed Grace wanted to protect Rose out of gratitude because she had ended the situation for them both.

Milo seemed to be particularly skilled at mind games. He deliberately pitted the women against each other, even though he kept them separate. He let them know that the other was being abused because she didn’t behave, making them comply and be grateful when it was the other one taking the assaults. It created a wedge in the event they were ever together.

Sarah promised both women that talking about what happened was therapeutic and by doing so, they were able to put things in perspective. That’s when I think they began seeing each other as common survivors with a shared kinship.

He was pure evil.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I cannot add anything to your comments, Phrynne and Jonetta. Milo had no redeeming characteristics.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I agree with everyone. And I wonder what made Milo what he was. Was he born evil? Did something happen to turn him this way? We'll never know.

I agree, Robin, it would have been nice to learn more about this creep.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I think it helped that Grace hadn't been in captivity for that long and hadn't had time to develop the feelings of relief and guilt that another woman was suffering in her stead. Perhaps this made her more willing to protect Rose.

There are no words aptly describe how despicable Pendergast was Unfortunately, he didn't suffer enough!

As to what made him so malevolent, I think the message is that it doesn't matter. The women are important and there is no excuse or explanation that could possibly mitigate his actions, so there is no need to provide any.