2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
This topic is about Murder in Murray Hill
Murder in Murray Hill > Question F

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Frank has to turn the investigation over to Broghan who quickly wants to go after the victims. Sarah offers an explanation as to why public opinion would be against the women (they should have known better). Where you surprised by this point of view or were you expecting this reaction? Did Frank do the right thing in helping Henry Livingston protect Grace?

Phrynne | 592 comments These were all things appropriate to the times. It would have been considered that the women were to blame. We still have that attitude around sometimes today when women are raped and some people say they were asking for it in the way they dressed etc.
Frank understands the police only too well. I was not surprised he helped protect Grace.

It’s distressing that things haven’t changed much around sexual assault. The worst part is how men have helped shape women’s views to believe that nonsense. I have hope that things will begin to shift. Broghan was a pig and I admired Frank for looking out for Grace.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Again, I agree with the above observations. Mothers and Fathers need to raise their children that it is never right to harm a female, no matter what arises to provoke them. There has to be another way to deal with attitudes. I should add that the same can be said to daughters as to sons: respect every other human being as you respect yourself. Rinse, repeat....

Well said, Charlene! It’s the biggest chance for change.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments The "blame the victim" mentality is alive and well.
One thing that was particularly apt was the women's fear that the newspapers would get hold of the story and fabricate details for sensationalistic headlines. This is too often the case today as well, and has, unfortunately, given mainstream media a very bad reputation for "fake news".

And it’s generally mainstream media that at least gets the facts correct but won’t miss an opportunity to sensationalize the situation. They aren’t fake news but those accusing them of it are the perpetrators.

I just wish we’d go back to when TV news outlets weren’t competing for ratings. I remember when ABC moved their news division to be under the leadership of the entertainment division, many years ago. It didn’t take long for us to see the shift.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, once the news is seen as entertainment rather than providing facts, it is a slippery slope for journalistic integrity.