2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
This topic is about Murder in Murray Hill
Murder in Murray Hill > Question B

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Frank discovers that Grace Livingston had responded to a newspaper ad for a wife and sets a trap. What was the significance of getting the editor’s cooperation? Had you heard about these lonely hearts ads and scams occurring during this era?

Phrynne | 592 comments I am amazed that they did. The women seemed so oppressed that it is hard to believe they would be daring enough initiate this.

They were young women, vulnerable to these kind of men. They just wanted a shot at a family. I’d never heard of these scams.

I still don’t know how the editor helped.

Phrynne | 592 comments No I don't get that part either.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments The editor diverted other responses to this man's ad, so that Maeve's letter was the only one in his box.

I did not know this kind of scam was going on in Victorian New York, but I guess I'm not all that surprised at another depravity that was lurking in the darkness.

Thanks, Charlene! I knew it had to be more than just behaving properly.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I'd never heard of this happening before, but it makes sense. Like anything else, there always seems to be someone trying to take advantage of others. People seem to think that this kind of stuff didn't happen in the good old days, only now.

That’s right, Robin. I guess there aren’t really any new crimes, just new twists on them.

~ Giulia ~ | 193 comments I didn't expect Milo's level of depravity, but I'm not very surprised that the ads were scams. People really haven't changed much in the last century.

Charlene wrote: "The editor diverted other responses to this man's ad, so that Maeve's letter was the only one in his box."

Thanks Charlene for clearing that up :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I was not at all surprised that the scams existed. People have not changed much and neither has their capacity for evil and depravity.

It was so sad that these women were caught up in Pendergast's malevolence when all they wanted was somewhere to belong.

It was heartbreaking. They’d already been dealt a weak hand.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "It was heartbreaking. They’d already been dealt a weak hand."

At least today, there are alternatives for women who can support themselves. Some things have changed for the better.

Thank goodness! We’re not there yet but women are certainly exerting more control of their lives than ever. I have hope.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Me too!